PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastic news #6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

HeatherC
10-09-2011, 05:25 AM
Uchimura is first 92.256, Orozco 2nd AA 90.532, Leyva 3rd 89.848.

Me: Horton will miss the AA but he's a team first guy so even though he's probably bummed out, he'll be the US guys biggest cheerleader when they compete this week. He knows he slightly missed on PH so he know what went wrong a bit today. :)

HeatherC
10-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Japan 364. 191; USA 361.583, Puerto Rico 344.460; Portugal 334.352

ilovesalchows
10-09-2011, 05:27 AM
I hope a video of this surfaces:

"Nguyen Ha Thanh, vault: Yurchenko double pike, STUCK COLD. WOW -- best thing of the day except maybe Uchimura's high bar. He is so psyched about that, pumps his fists, well deserved. Great form in the air, too. That was just fantastic!"

From Gymnastics Examiner

Cloudy_Gumdrops
I hope a video of this surfaces:

"Nguyen Ha Thanh, vault: Yurchenko double pike, STUCK COLD. WOW -- best thing of the day except maybe Uchimura's high bar. He is so psyched about that, pumps his fists, well deserved. Great form in the air, too. That was just fantastic!"

From Gymnastics Examiner

Me too, sounds amazing.

Scintillation
I just love the guys. One, they have HUGE muscles you can stare at all day. :swoon: Two, I love their camaraderie. They are such good sportsmen. Except Paul Hamm. I don't know why exactly, but Paul Hamm rubs me the wrong way. I get this air of entitlement every time I hear him talk and that drunk cab incident didn't help that perception go away. So I hope at Nats next year Orozco, Horton, and Leyva kick his ass in the competition.

HeatherC
10-09-2011, 05:28 AM
USA AA Qualifiers will be Orozco (2nd; 90.532) and Leyva (3rd; 89.848). Horton finished 5th (89.689) and Legendre 7th (86.598)

chipso1
10-09-2011, 05:32 AM
Wow, no Horton in the AA finals? :eek:

Congrats to Orozco and Levya though! Seems like they had an amazing meet tonight! :)

Domshabfan
10-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Actually, I think Vega, Maroney and Wieber have really great FX routines this year. Raisman's is good too (compared to what she had previously, of course), and Gabby's works when she hits her passes.

I don't think choreography in US routine is the problem, but the execution of the choreography is, they rarely sell it. For example, Raisman's dance is very stiff, from hard to toe and robotic in appearance. She along with Bross looks miserable on floor, like someone has forced them to do dance and they don't want to do it. I know most people here, when viewing figure skating talk about lovely arm movement, unfortunately that is M.I.A for Raisman and Bross. In floor routine in time provided these girls can't do a full dance when having to do 4 difficult tumbling passes, but they can increase artistry by simple dance movement, little bit of expression on the face (and not look miserable).

Vega has lovely floor music and Choreo, but her arm movement are not appropriate fro the music. Otherwise she is good, not Great. Maroney has great tumbling, but otherwise nothing special, she could really do with some good choreo:slinkaway.

The only routine i like in US team is Wieber's, lovely music, great choroegraphy, very good presentation. I wasn't a fan of her previous floor, but this is lovely, a lot of improvement. I hope if Komova does not win true floor, Wieber will win the floor and by a margin, signalling that presentation does matter.

on a side note, I am also sad that Afanasyeva did not make the finals, beautiful routine appropriate for the music.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-09-2011, 07:03 AM
I wish they could dance like Mattie Larson (more or less) but tumble like Jordyn or Aly.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-09-2011, 07:10 AM
A Swiss guy went down on a Yurchenko 2.5 clutching his knee.

Those damn Amanars are knee killers!

VIETgrlTerifa
10-09-2011, 07:38 AM
One thing keeps eating up at me...Anna Li.

The more I think about it, the more vile I find the whole situation. By the time the deadline passed for Marta and USAG to submit their final rosters for Preliminaries, Alicia was on her way home to get surgery on her ACL. There's media attention regarding her injury and the severity of it before that deadline, and we have documentation (Anna's blog, eyewitness accounts from those who were there) that Anna was still healthy enough to train full bar sets prior and after the deadline (and during preliminaries). I know it depends on the contracts that the athletes sign and the terms they agree to, but wouldn't Anna be entitled to replace Alicia since she was an alternate and an alternate's role is to replace an athlete who could not compete due to injury or other circumstances?

The worst thing is that they had Anna wear a leo and march with the team (and she said she was warming up with the other girls as well) and yet if the American team wins a medal (or wins Worlds), Anna won't be officially named as part of the team while Alicia will despite not doing anything or even being in the same country as the rest of the team during competition.

I wonder if Anna Li would have a legal case against Marta and USAG if she decided to sue them.

Also, I heard stories of Marta being paranoid about Anna's parents (aka her coaches) and actually yelled at Anna's mom back in 2008 Olympic Trials about being a Chinese spy. I wonder if Marta's past paranoia played a part in the decision to keep a totally injured, non-performing Alicia on the roster in place of Anna who could have competed.

Before anyone responds with, "we didn't need Anna", "Anna would've just fallen", or "it worked out for us anyway", etc., I think just because the Americans did well in preliminaries (first, yo!) and may win Worlds doesn't make it a moot point. I believe the way Anna is being treated is incredibly wrong.

Domshabfan
10-09-2011, 07:38 AM
A Swiss guy went down on a Yurchenko 2.5 clutching his knee.

Those damn Amanars are knee killers!
Swiss have taller gymnasts, making it difficult to twist.It is easier to do Yushenko 2.5 when you are 5ft 2 and not 5 ft 8.

Hedwig
10-09-2011, 08:40 AM
This sounds really bad:

. hier verspielt Yusuke Tanaka allerdings seine Spitzenposition: ... ist nach einem Sturz auf den Kopf völlig benommen, turnt zwar weiter ... taumelt ... ein Trainer springt auf's Podium, um ihn am Fortsetzen der Übung zu hindern... übles Missgeschick für die Gastgeber!! (=1,499)!
Tanaka completely dazzed after a fall on his head, he tries to go on with the exercise...wobbles over the floor ... a coach jumps on the podium to keep him from going on with the exercise!!

VIETgrlTerifa
10-09-2011, 08:52 AM
I have to say that I seriously enjoyed Wieber's FX.

http://youtu.be/H_qkV3QOiUc

She performed it very well, I thought. I hope she keeps it for the Olympics. The music is perfect to get the crowd going.

I don't like all of Sabrina Vega's arm movements, but she really moves her body so well. You can see her dance coming through.

http://youtu.be/ipDJohW9BZA

Hedwig
10-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Just watched Komova's floor - she sure is very good but she is really bad at hiding her mistakes, isn't she? She made sure that everyone in the arena saw that she had an OOB on her first pass and a "forbidden" step on her last double tuck. You could really see the frustration in her whole body and a sort of hesitation before going on as if asking "can I do it again?"
She needs a lesson from Khorkina (=the queen of hiding mistakes) in that regard!