PDA

View Full Version : Olga Markova's heir - finally!! Anna Ovcharova

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Hedwig
10-07-2011, 08:49 PM
We had a lot of voidy and avant-garde skaters but I always felt that no one came close to Olga Markova.

Now I finally have a replacement in my heart and want to share it with you. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ_n-AFxMsU

I already fell in love with Anna Ovcharova 2 seasons ago at Junior Worlds. Then she was injured for a very long time and this is her first appearance again. I am prepared to totally uber her and hunt all the judges on the planet down if she does not make the Russian World team over the next few years. I know it will be hard with all the Russian wonderbabies but seriously - what is not to love about this program?

She can do soft and edgy, she - unlike Lipnitskaya at the moment :shuffle: - is not tone-deaf but skates to the music and IMO she has huge charisma.

So happy :rollin: to see her skating again. :)

oleada
10-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Love her but the jumps are :fragile:

Hedwig
10-07-2011, 08:59 PM
yeah, I know. Her lutz was maybe a bit ur and then the fall on the flip...but this was her first outing in like nearly 2 years so I am not too worried.

(or just too much in love with her to be realistic. ;) )

LynnW
10-07-2011, 09:02 PM
I really enjoyed that. She has nice expression, although her jumps aren't quite there. Do you think she owns a green feather boa? :shuffle:

oleada
10-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Her jump technique was never good. We should send her to Mishin for a jump camp, and while she's there, she can teach his skaters how to void.

allezfred
10-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm kind of disappointed because I thought this was going to be a thread about Olga Markova's hair. :fragile: :lol:

kwanatic
10-07-2011, 09:24 PM
She's really cute but that program was :yikes:

Hedwig
10-07-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm kind of disappointed because I thought this was going to be a thread about Olga Markova's hair. :fragile: :lol:

Feel free to talk about her hair or any aspect of Olga's fabulousness. ;)

gkelly
10-07-2011, 09:53 PM
I preferred Olga (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzjj18Cmwe4) with a ponytail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT57QERvqa0)
:cheer:

Less fond of the short hair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD8URnScIO4)

casken
10-07-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm sorry but Markova never smiled that much in her entire life. :lol:

gkelly
10-08-2011, 12:53 AM
I know. But aside from the smile, there's quite a resemblance.

pinky166
10-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Well her jump technique was never good, but when she lands her jumps, they are done and fine, don't usually get URs or big -GOEs. So it just comes down to execution. And in the past she has been able to land several triples in a program, like at Russian Junior Nationals in 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_EytmJFwk
where she won the FS and came in 2nd overall (beating Adelina and Liza), so she is capable of good performances, and everything else about her is just FAB, so as long as she can land the jumps, then she should score well. Love her! Also she's developed into quite a looker, :kickass: body and Joannie Rochette arms. Also WAY more voidy than any of the other Russian babies at this point, yes even Leonova who does not pull off the voidy nearly as well IMPO.

dinakt
10-08-2011, 01:32 AM
I am so with you, Hedwig. I also fell in love with Ovcharova 2 years ago and kept waiting for her to come back. She is fabulous. Individual, voidy, musical. This program is whimsical, but she showed before she could do all kinds of expression.
That's one of the cases when I really wish a skater could skate for another country. How about Switzerland? What chance does Ovcharova have with all the Russian Wondergirls becoming age- eligible? They don't have one tenth of her ice presence, but they have the jumps. Never say never, of course... It would be a shame if she stops skating ( kind of like the lovely voidy Angela Maxwell...)

RFOS
10-08-2011, 02:11 AM
I guess I have to disagree somewhat on this program. I watched on mute first (at work :shuffle: ) and thought it looked interesting, but after watching with the music I just couldn't see how the first part of the program (up until the last 2/3 of the footwork) really related to the music at all. The music is really monotonous with no real highlights and doesn't have a very strong beat and I just couldn't figure out what her movements (particularly the I spiral that was done when the music went completely silent) or the timing of her elements had to do with the music at all, but maybe I'm missing something. :shuffle: (What is the music from? Would knowing that make the concept make more sense?)

I like her personality and attempt at creating a unique style of movement, and loved the last 2/3 of the footwork, but to me it literally felt like the wrong music must've been playing for the rest of the program.

:lynch:

Aussie Willy
10-08-2011, 02:12 AM
Thanks for posting. I haven't seen that skater before. The technical side probably isn't strong there but she is what I imagine what Bjork would be like if she was a skater. I loved her commitment to the performance and the character and she never lost the expression of the program. So few skaters have that quality. So I can totally understand why you like her. And good on her for going out on a limb with really unusual music choices.

She would also be a good example to use if you were trying to explain to skaters about using music, creating character and interpretation.