PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed on how to teach a dog not to jump on a couch

judiz
10-06-2011, 03:24 AM
We adopted a black lab last night from an animal rescue group. We do not know anything about his background except he is four years old and given up for adoption by previous owners. I imagine he was allowed on the couch at his previous home but we'd rather he not go on the couches. I provided him with a soft blanket and he also has a nice size crate with a flufffy mat. We've tried taking him off and telling him no but he just stares at us and jumps back on. I know it takes time to unlearn an old trick but is there a way to train him not to jump on the couch or do I just have to grin and bear it until he gets the message?

rfisher
10-06-2011, 03:35 AM
See if he knows down-stay and put him on his bed or in the crate. Be consistent and be patient.

Nomad
10-06-2011, 03:36 AM
Have you tried rewarding him with treats for lying on his blanket?

Anita18
10-06-2011, 05:29 AM
Yeah, it's just going to take time and patience. Whenever he jumps on the couch, say "No!" very sternly. Most dogs will get the hint that you're not pleased. And yes, you have to make it like you're not pleased. No "grinning and bearing it" - keep stern!

Or at least our previous dog got the hint. We trained him not to lick his neuter stitches very quickly, and he learned that bedrooms were a no go. :lol: From what Mom is telling me, the new dog needs a little more work, but we also adopted him older - he's about 5.

And you really do have to be consistent. If there's a period of time where no one's watching him, he can learn that he'll just jump on the couch when you're not home. You might want to try just leaving crap on the couch like I do when I don't want my cat to sit on it. :lol:

oleada
10-06-2011, 05:55 AM
And you really do have to be consistent. If there's a period of time where no one's watching him, he can learn that he'll just jump on the couch when you're not home. You might want to try just leaving crap on the couch like I do when I don't want my cat to sit on it. :lol:

We allow the dog on the couch, but my dog gets SO indignant when we leave stuff there. How dare we! :rofl:

Anyway, no advice, but I wanted to wish you congrats on your new pup :)

Vagabond
10-06-2011, 07:22 AM
This thread reminds me of something I read in a book owned by a friend of mine who had a Labrador retriever: "A Lab doesn't know the meaning of the word 'fear' -- or 'stay' or 'down' or 'Get off the couch, you stupid dog!'" :shuffle:

Cupid
10-06-2011, 01:59 PM
I taught mine by placing three metal coffee cans (or whatever you can find now) and filling them with a few pennies and spreading them across the sofa she wanted to sit on (the one facing the window). When she jumped up on the couch, the pennies would rattle and it scared the daylights out of her and she jumped off the couch. Eventually, you can take away the cans and usually the dog will not go there anymore.

I also used the coffee can with pennies to teach her not to jump the fence. I hid on the side of the house and when I heard her climbing over the fence, I threw the can at the fence and yelled "NO!". She never jumped the fence again.:dog:

NancyNC
10-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Ah yes, the "shake can". We used soda cans, 10 pennies each, then put some duct tape over the opening to keep the pennies in. These were fabulous for training our yellow lab - but we got her when she was 6 weeks old. She never was allowed on the couch and learned this really quickly.

With our rescue we have had for almost two years now, he was also a couch potato at his previous home. But he was so much smaller than our lab, and so darn cute when he wanted up on the couch, that we just bought a really cute throw with doggy paw prints on it and let him go ahead and continue to be a couch potato... :shuffle: :lol: To his credit, he knows that he is only allowed on the couch and nothing else, and follows that rule.

znachki
10-06-2011, 05:58 PM
As others have said, consistancy and patience. But, when you aren't there, he will get on the couch. Heck, our dog, who never even tried that when we were home, would do it when we were gone. You could always tell by the way he came to the door.

On another doggie note..this is cute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plH5yXwPSW4&feature=share

judiz
10-06-2011, 06:05 PM
I taught mine by placing three metal coffee cans (or whatever you can find now) and filling them with a few pennies and spreading them across the sofa she wanted to sit on (the one facing the window). When she jumped up on the couch, the pennies would rattle and it scared the daylights out of her and she jumped off the couch. Eventually, you can take away the cans and usually the dog will not go there anymore.

I also used the coffee can with pennies to teach her not to jump the fence. I hid on the side of the house and when I heard her climbing over the fence, I threw the can at the fence and yelled "NO!". She never jumped the fence again.:dog:.

Speaking of fences, how high a fence should we install in our yard to prevent him from jumping over the fence?

Anita18
10-06-2011, 08:36 PM

I also used the coffee can with pennies to teach her not to jump the fence. I hid on the side of the house and when I heard her climbing over the fence, I threw the can at the fence and yelled "NO!". She never jumped the fence again.:dog:
That is genius! :rofl: :dog:

Speaking of fences, how high a fence should we install in our yard to prevent him from jumping over the fence?
I'd think a regular yard fence would be fine, I think those are 6 feet high or so. We had a golden and never had a problem with him (or our current golden) jumping over fences. But goldens have a genetic susceptibility for hip problems to begin with...

Rob
10-06-2011, 09:52 PM
My friends use a squirt bottle. I'd think a Portuguese water dog wouldn't mind a squirt of water, but apparently they do. Taught them to stay off the table/sofa.