PDA

View Full Version : China - The new force in singles?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

olifaunt
10-06-2011, 04:03 AM
I looooove Han Yan. I'm rooting for him to win his next JGP.

miki88
10-06-2011, 04:07 AM
Well she looks as if she's shot up recently, in the pictures from Austria, you can see she towers over Vanessa Lam, and in podium shots from Latvia, she wasn't that much smaller than Polina Shelepen, who appears to be quite tall. So I think this probably explains most of why she seems a little less fluid this season, because I have noticed that too, and I think it's mostly that her body and skating are both a bit coltish and all limbs right now. That will likely change in a year or two and we will see her once again be very fluid and lyrical.

Yea, I think maybe it's the growth spurt. Also, I'm not too fond of her programs this year. Hopefully she'll be like her predecessor Chen Lu, who just got better with age. :)

IceAlisa
10-06-2011, 04:22 AM
How very exciting! I expect to see them in Sochi and do well too! :)

Jeschke
10-06-2011, 09:34 AM
First in ladies there is Zijun Li, arguably the best thing to come out of China since Lu Chen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uTkzMdvNuU
Wonderful skater, beautiful positions and not as headcasey as she could be ;)

i agree in everything what is said about zijun li; i saw her first at last years´junior grand prix and was excited.

but we have to be honest, there were any ladies between lu chen and zijun li, at least one.
yan liu enlightend the ladies field in torino and had a great future to come; unfortunately she was not able to do any step further and had those ups and downs, but i always crossed my fingers for her, beautiful skater.

MikiAndoFan#1
10-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Han Yan just scored 147.30 points in the free skate at the JGP Italy! :eek: :cheer:

jlai
10-08-2011, 12:49 AM
Do you think we'll see Yan Han in the world championship? In other words, would the Chinese fed send him?

I think the fed may want Yan Han to "wait his turn", but we may see him in 4cc. :cheer:

pinky166
10-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Do you think we'll see Yan Han in the world championship? In other words, would the Chinese fed send him?

I think the fed may want Yan Han to "wait his turn", but we may see him in 4cc. :cheer:

If they are smart, they will send him. The scores Nan Song put up all last season pale in comparison, so unless he's improved drastically, the Chinese fed would be stupid to not send Yan Han.

sharonz
10-08-2011, 01:22 AM

I doubt we will see Yan in 4cc, there are competitions in a row for him.
JGPF -> Chinese National Games(4th,Jan) -> YOG (middle of Jan) -> JW
It will be too tired for him to compete for 4cc, especially he may want to save all his energy for JW.

As for worlds, after watching the protocal of Chinese Nationals which held just two weeks ago, I believe Song is the one they want to send. That Song and Wu's PCS having been much higher than Yan's at NC is really ridiculous :(
But IMO, if Yan keeps delivering big score at JGPF and JW, while Song do not show his strength at GPs (I don't want to see that happen though), Yan will have his chance hopefully.

mapleleaf
10-08-2011, 01:56 AM
If they are smart, they will send him. The scores Nan Song put up all last season pale in comparison, so unless he's improved drastically, the Chinese fed would be stupid to not send Yan Han.

Nan Song has a better 3a than Yan and maybe have a 4t this season, but that's it. He is very very slow and his basic skating skills are poor. The spins are also bad. He's going nowhere on world stage.

pinky166
10-08-2011, 02:44 AM
Nan Song has a better 3a than Yan and maybe have a 4t this season, but that's it. He is very very slow and his basic skating skills are poor. The spins are also bad. He's going nowhere on world stage.

I agree which is why they should send Yan! Song was able to do well on the junior ranks but has been rather disappointing since becoming senior. In addition to the weaknesses you mentioned, he also seems to have stamina issues, tending to look visibly tired and make jump mistakes at the end of his free programs. And his international PCS are just low, really low for someone who seemed to have so much potential a couple years ago.

Roxanne
10-08-2011, 03:05 AM
Is Han Yan old enough to go to Worlds?

Hedwig
10-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Yes, he is old enough.

If he continues to skate like this, the Chinese fed would be stupid not to send him!

Why is China suddenly on the rise in singles? In ladies it can be explained with Lu Chen's former coach being back in China. But in men? Who is the wonder-coach here to suddenly produce so many good guys after hardly anyone for the last 15 years?

Aussie Willy
10-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks for posting the clip of Zijun Li. She is lovely and I thoroughly enjoyed watching her. I was smiling all the way. Really feels the music (I love the Addams Family soundtrack) and great variation on high and low positions throughout the program. And beautiful open arms that draw you into her performance.

Seerek
10-08-2011, 11:08 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the Chinese federation will select the qualifier for the 1 senior Worlds spot in both mens and ladies singles.

They've used a mix of 4CC, Asian Winter Games, World University Games, National Championships to determine who qualifies, but it's been different year.

Example: 2010 - Nan Song finishes 6th at 4CC but Jinlin Guan (who placed 9th at 4CC) gets sent to Worlds
2011 - Nan Song does get to Worlds largely due a 3rd at Asian Winter Games and 2nd at Chinese Nationals, but was the 3rd Chinese finisher at 4CC.

jlai
10-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Yes, he is old enough.

If he continues to skate like this, the Chinese fed would be stupid not to send him!

Why is China suddenly on the rise in singles? In ladies it can be explained with Lu Chen's former coach being back in China. But in men? Who is the wonder-coach here to suddenly produce so many good guys after hardly anyone for the last 15 years?

I don't think there's a specific 'cause. YuNa happened despite a non-existent elite skating program in Korea. Considering how big China is, it's a matter of time Chinese find talents and nurture them. Figure skating is exactly the type of sport Chinese should do well anyway--it's skill-oriented and favors the less bulky