PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interesting training in Phoenix/Scottsdale area?

stejoho40
10-04-2011, 05:12 PM
We're moving to Phoenix area and I was wondering if there are any elite skaters training there.

flowerpower
10-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Doug Ladret coaches at the Ice Den in Scottsdale (Vise/Trent, Vise/Baldwin as well?)

DimaToe
10-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Doesn't Douglas Razzano train in Scottsdale?

Sylvia
10-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Yes, Douglas Razzano, who is competing at Finlandia Trophy this week, is coached by Doug and Lara Ladret, along with Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin (Vise/Trent preceded Vise/Baldwin).

Link to the Ice Den in Scottsdale, AZ: http://www.coyotesice.com/skating-programs/figure-skating.php

The Ice Den, located in north Scottsdale, is a 120,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art ice skating and entertainment center and still home to the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes Hockey club who practice at the facility on a regular basis.

(stejoho40, you seem to move a lot! ;))

stejoho40
10-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Yeah, husband lost job in IL in 2001....moved to CT...lost that job in 2009...moved to CA...don't really like CA because of the expense. He finally landed a job in Phx which is where we have wanted to be for years...so hopefully this is tha last move!

kwanfan1818
10-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Phoenix has a superb ballet company, Ballet Arizona, and I've seen some wonderful opera there. I've only heard the Phoenix Symphony play for the ballet, and they do a wonderful job.

Congratulations on your move!

azcalder
10-04-2011, 09:21 PM
There's a Disson Skating show coming to Phoenix on November 12, 2011

http://www.dissonskating.com/our-shows/pandora-unforgettable-holiday-moments-on-ice/

Naomi Lang and husband Mark Fitzgerald are at the Polar Ice Rink in Gilbert, which is in the East Valley...I think they're teaching...not sure about any programs and skaters.

www.polaricegilbert.com

Jill Watson was coaching in the West Valley...haven't heard anything lately.
Anne

skatemomaz
10-04-2011, 09:24 PM
There's a Disson Skating show coming to Phoenix on November 12, 2011

http://www.dissonskating.com/our-shows/pandora-unforgettable-holiday-moments-on-ice/

Naomi Lang and husband Mark Fitzgerald are at the Polar Ice Rink in Gilbert, which is in the East Valley...I think they're teaching...not sure about any programs and skaters.

www.polaricegilbert.com

Jill Watson was coaching in the West Valley...haven't heard anything lately.
Anne

Jill is still coaching at the Polar Ice Rink in Peoria.

scootie12
10-04-2011, 10:12 PM
I love Ice Den! I was in Phoenix last week and skated each day I was in town. I go to Phoenix frequently for work, so Ice Den is the perfect rink to go to out there. It also doesn't hurt that my childhood coach of nearly 10 years (Larry) is out there. It gives me a great opportunity to work with him while in town, and I think he's one of the best coaches around.

I was working with Larry and Grant during the week on my elements and choreographing my new program.

I also enjoy skating there since the facility is nice, the people all seem to be very nice and always say "hello" when I'm there, and the skaters all seem respectful. Everyone seems to watch out for you as opposed to other rinks where little kids just skate around without paying attention to anyone's jumping passes/patterns.

It's definitely a great rink with good coaches, and like everyone else has said, some top level skaters that help motivate you :)

julieann
10-04-2011, 10:49 PM

www.polaricegilbert.com

That's a great place to skate, my kids love to go there.

Vash01
10-04-2011, 10:52 PM
I love Ice Den! I was in Phoenix last week and skated each day I was in town. I go to Phoenix frequently for work, so Ice Den is the perfect rink to go to out there. It also doesn't hurt that my childhood coach of nearly 10 years (Larry) is out there. It gives me a great opportunity to work with him while in town, and I think he's one of the best coaches around.

I was working with Larry and Grant during the week on my elements and choreographing my new program.

I also enjoy skating there since the facility is nice, the people all seem to be very nice and always say "hello" when I'm there, and the skaters all seem respectful. Everyone seems to watch out for you as opposed to other rinks where little kids just skate around without paying attention to anyone's jumping passes/patterns.

It's definitely a great rink with good coaches, and like everyone else has said, some top level skaters that help motivate you :)

Ice Den is very nice. I don't skate there because it's too far for me. I went to see the Jr. GP there almost 10 years ago. It's probably the best rink in the valley of the Sun. I have not seen Polar ice in Peoria, but there is one very close to my home in Ahwatukee.

stejoho40
10-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Oooh...ballet. Great! I LOVE ballet. And I will be living in Gilbert so its great to hear that Naomi is there. I will definately check it out.

Vash01...my brother lives in Ahwatukee so I am there a lot too...anyone interesting training there?

When we moved to CA two yrs ago I went to the local rink here thinking maybe there would be some interesting up and coming teenager to watch, and I fell in love with a seven year old who skated circles around kids twice her age.....and she has truly captured my heart. She's gone form pre-preliminary to juvenile in 2 yrs, even skipped one level, and now at 9 she is one of the youngest in juvenile and wins many events. She went to National Showcase and won 4 events there. So you never know what you will find.

barbk
10-05-2011, 04:08 PM
stejoho40 -- I hope you find some interesting skaters to watch. I was lucky enough to have work in Colorado Springs back in the mid-late 80's -- rather than going to the strip club with the guys I went to the Broadmoor, wandered around, found the (old) World Arena, and got to watch Caryn Kadavy before she hit the big time, Jill Trenary, and quite a few others -- the first live skating I'd ever seen. The club shows were also wonderful.

Way better than Shotgun Willies, I suspect. Though there were the odd nights with curling.