PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Knox Verdict Today

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

cruisin
10-03-2011, 09:31 PM
She didn't recant, AFAIK

I'm pretty sure she claimed that most of what she told the police was under extreme duress and that she became extremely confused. She also did not have the command of the language then, that she has now.

cruisin
10-03-2011, 09:33 PM
The record of Knox's interrogation/confession is so messed up that I wonder how much of her accusation was of the "if anyone killed my roommate, it was X" versus something where she indicated she had actual evidence. But even if she made a direct accusation, I don't think that bears on her innocence. According to Italian police, she "confessed" to the crime after intensive interrogation. Once she realized that the confession woudl be used to convict her, she may have been willing to say anythin to point the blame elsewhere.

But, did she really confess? Or did she agree to things she didn't understand? I believe she was so manipulated, she had no idea what she was saying.

milanessa
10-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Italy does not have a double jeopardy law. The prosecution has stated their intent to appeal the overturning of the conviction. They have commented that she could be a flight risk, and they want her to be forced to stay in Italy while they file for an appeal of the appeal. This may not be over.

:confused:

BigB08822
10-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Oh, I'm glad too. But still, to falsely accuse someone else of murder = nasty evil cow in my book. She would have gladly seen an innocent man go to jail. Kind of ironic. :shuffle:

She was basically a child. She was being accused of a crime she did not commit. Can I blame her for suggesting someone to try and deflect all the attention from herself? No! Does that mean it was right, still, no. However, have we seen the video of that? For all we know she just SUGGESTED someone for them to interview. She has always claimed that she wasn't there so I have a hard time understanding how she could have ever said she KNEW who killed the victim. I always felt that was blown out of proportion and probably twisted by the media to fit their profile of a "nasty evil cow."

You mention it being ironic but I find it ironic that you can serve 3 years in jail for defamation in Italy when clearly the Italian system is very guilty of the same crime with these two people (Amanda and her ex).

rfisher
10-03-2011, 09:35 PM
I hope she has enough sense (or her parents do) to be on the first flight out of Italy and mark that off her future vacation spots. Maybe she's a little less privileged and self-centered now than she was then and will party a little less hardy.

cruisin
10-03-2011, 09:37 PM
:confused:

I don't understand your :confused:

pingu
10-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm pretty sure she claimed that most of what she told the police was under extreme duress and that she became extremely confused. She also did not have the command of the language then, that she has now.

I doubt she was interrogated in italian. I remember she said she was confused etc etc, but she never recanted her accusation towards Patrick Lubumba (uhm I hope I spelled that correctly).

cruisin
10-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I hope she has enough sense (or her parents do) to be on the first flight out of Italy and mark that off her future vacation spots. Maybe she's a little less privileged and self-centered now than she was then and will party a little less hardy.

She may not be allowed to leave, yet.

Vash01
10-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Italy does not have a double jeopardy law. The prosecution has stated their intent to appeal the overturning of the conviction. They have commented that she could be a flight risk, and they want her to be forced to stay in Italy while they file for an appeal of the appeal. This may not be over.

That's not what I read on CNN (see the link I posted earlier). They do have a double jeopardy law. If the highcourt upholds this verdict, she cannot be tried again for this crime. She can leave the country right now. She does not have to wait for the appeal to be filed. It will be 90 days before a report of this trial will be filed. Then the appeal. I don't see anything keeping her in Italy that long, and I hope she will be wise and get out of there ASAP.

Beefcake
10-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Oh, I'm glad too. But still, to falsely accuse someone else of murder = nasty evil cow in my book. She would have gladly seen an innocent man go to jail. Kind of ironic. :shuffle:
:blah: "Nasty evil cow"? Really. Wow, let's stick you in that predicament and see how you fare. Knox wasn't knowlingly (let alone gladly!) falsely accusing anyone. That was a result of pounding by investigators ... they wear you down until you're finally willing to conject on "who might have done this evil deed, then?".

Given the :scream: crap that has been revealed of this railroading and "investigation," I am 99% willing to believe that ANYTHING she said or was purported to say to Italian authorities was ill gotten. And the "conviction" for the "false accusation" smacks of still more bullshit ... people say who they think might have "done it" thousands of times a day. And if you think it's true, how the hell is that $$$ award worthy? Oh, right, when the authorities have a nation whipped into a frenzy against an Ugly American. Got it.

Of course, Italy will dearly hold on to that conviction now since Know seems to have escaped their "big one".

You want ironic? That would be that Knox would have never been in the situation to "give a name" if SHE hadn't been railroaded herself. Chicken/egg, you know.

Vash01
10-03-2011, 09:47 PM

We don't know the circumstances under which she accused him. When people are afraid for their lives, they do strange things. That does not excuse a lie, but may be she really thought it was that guy who killed her friend.

numbers123
10-03-2011, 09:48 PM
If the Knox family didn't have a plan in place to leave ASAP, I would be totally :eek: I wonder if they have a private plane on standby

allezfred
10-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Wow, let's stick you in that predicament and see how you fare.

I'd hope I'd know better than to falsely accuse someone of murder. We can use youth as an excuse, but she was a university student, not a six year old. Surely old enough to know between right and wrong.

And I can't help the fact that her face screams to me entitled brat. I imagined she's learned quite a bit from the experience if nothing else.

skatingfan5
10-03-2011, 09:51 PM
The record of Knox's interrogation/confession is so messed up that I wonder how much of her accusation was of the "if anyone killed my roommate, it was X" versus something where she indicated she had actual evidence. But even if she made a direct accusation, I don't think that bears on her innocence. According to Italian police, she "confessed" to the crime after intensive interrogation. Once she realized that the confession woudl be used to convict her, she may have been willing to say anythin to point the blame elsewhere.According to this timeline (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/8803231/Amanda-Knox-chronology-timeline-of-a-murder-case.html) of the case, Knox, Sollecito, and Lumumba were all arrested on the same day (four days after the murder), so I can imagine a scenario where the police interrogation could have led her to try to put the blame in his direction if the police indicated that they suspected him of being involved, rather than on her and Rafael. As I said, I have never seen/read a transcript of the police interrogation, so I'm only speculating here, like most of us. I don't know exactly what was said to her nor what her responses were.

milanessa
10-03-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't understand your :confused:

I don't understand your quoting me along with your comment. I never talked about double jeopardy.