PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Knox Verdict Today

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Buzz
10-03-2011, 09:07 PM
I do not know much about the case to have an opinion one way or another. But I would be good to remember the girl who lost her life Meredith Kercher who no longer has a voice and cannot tell her side of the story.

milanessa
10-03-2011, 09:08 PM
So if Knox and/or her ex-boyfriend didn't do it, any theories on who did?

There's already someone in prison for the murder. Knox and Solecito were convicted of co-conspiracy with him. Apparently, just as in the states, that carries the same penalties as for the actual killing.

genevieve
10-03-2011, 09:09 PM
I do not know much about the case to have an opinion one way or another. But I would be good to remember the girl who lost her life Meredith Kercher who no longer has a voice and cannot tell her side of the story.

I don't think anyone has fogotten that.

Vash01

Nobody is saying she has to be forgotten. What was done to her was beyond horrible, but punishing innocent people is /was not going to help anybody.

Garden Kitty
One would hope (assume) that even if the demation was punishable by jail time that her time served would cover it.

Now let's just hope they don't decide she needs to be re-tried for the murder.

Apparently you can get jail time on the defamation charge, but she was given tie served. (at least per CNN)

Vagabond
10-03-2011, 09:10 PM
So if Knox and/or her ex-boyfriend didn't do it, any theories on who did?

The person who is still in prison for the murder (Rudy Guede).

Just a theory, like those new-fangled theories of evolution, gravity, and thermodynamics I keep hearing about. :shuffle:

Vash01
10-03-2011, 09:15 PM
so she could be retried?

If so, the earlier advice of getting the first flight out of the country may be wise

From CNN:

"Can the defendants ever be tried again for the same crime?

After the case goes to Italy's highest court and assuming it does not overturn the appeals ruling, Knox cannot be tried again for the same crime under the "double jeopardy" rule."

If there is an appeal in the high court by the losing party, and the appeal is overturned, she cannot be retried for the same crime. However, she is not required to stay in Italy for the appeal. Italy could ask the USA to extradite her, but the US govt has not made any commitment either way.

skatingfan5
10-03-2011, 09:16 PM
There's already someone in prison for the murder. Knox and Solecito were convicted of co-conspiracy with him. Apparently, just as in the states, that carries the same penalties as for the actual killing.Except, in the prosecution's version (at least in one of them), Amanda was the person who actually used a knife to murder her roommate (with Rafael supposedly holding her down). And the guy whose DNA (and bloody handprints) were found at the murder scene (and on the victim) wasn't the one who did the killing.

milanessa
10-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Except, in the prosecution's version (at least in one of them), Amanda was the person who actually used a knife to murder her roommate (with Rafael supposedly holding her down). And the guy whose DNA (and bloody handprints) were found at the murder scene wasn't the one who did the killing.

Yes, that was one of their theories.

allezfred
10-03-2011, 09:19 PM
And if, as allezfred believes, Amanda really is a "nasty American bitch", I'm glad that she wasn't sentenced to life imprisonment for that.

Oh, I'm glad too. But still, to falsely accuse someone else of murder = nasty evil cow in my book. She would have gladly seen an innocent man go to jail. Kind of ironic. :shuffle:

pingu
10-03-2011, 09:23 PM
From what I recall, Amanda was basically convicted for being a nasty American bitch. Not because there was any evidence she murdered anyone. This whole attack played out in the trial and heavily in the media. The jurors were never sequestered so they were able to watch the news and were fed all this vicious stuff about Knox. It seriously makes me never want to go to Italy, just in case...

I haven't followed this case very closely, but if Amanda is completely innocent, than why did she accuse an innocent?
The USA have death penalty, I'm not sure I would ever go there, you know, just in case...

skatingfan5
10-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Oh, I'm glad too. But still, to falsely accuse someone else of murder = nasty evil cow in my book. She would have gladly seen an innocent man go to jail. Kind of ironic. :shuffle:I wasn't closely following the case when it first happened, but didn't she name her boss as being involved only after prolonged police questioning? Still doesn't excuse her doing so, but others have said things when under duress (sometimes confessing, sometimes implicating innocent people) that they have later recanted (and which were proven to be untrue). Again, I don't have specific information about her early interrogation by the police, just a vague recollection about it.

pingu
10-03-2011, 09:29 PM
I wasn't closely following the case when it first happened, but didn't she name her boss as being involved only after prolonged police questioning? Still doesn't excuse her doing so, but others have said things when under duress (sometimes confessing, sometimes implicating innocent people) that they have later recanted (and which were proven to be untrue). Again, I don't have specific information about her early interrogation by the police, just a vague recollection about it.

She didn't recant, AFAIK

cruisin
10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Well, she could be but I don't think the authorities have any more evidence than they did during the first trial. I doubt they'd retry.

Italy does not have a double jeopardy law. The prosecution has stated their intent to appeal the overturning of the conviction. They have commented that she could be a flight risk, and they want her to be forced to stay in Italy while they file for an appeal of the appeal. This may not be over.

reckless
10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
The record of Knox's interrogation/confession is so messed up that I wonder how much of her accusation was of the "if anyone killed my roommate, it was X" versus something where she indicated she had actual evidence. But even if she made a direct accusation, I don't think that bears on her innocence. According to Italian police, she "confessed" to the crime after intensive interrogation. Once she realized that the confession woudl be used to convict her, she may have been willing to say anythin to point the blame elsewhere.