PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Knox Verdict Today

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31

duane
02-17-2012, 01:25 AM
My main problem with the Italian police is that they haven't solved the murder of Meredith Kercher.
I agree. Even tho Rudy Guede admitted he was in the room, and his DNA was found all over the crime scene, was found in and on Meredith's body, and was found along with Meredith’s blood on Meredith's purse, and his shoe prints, set in Meredith’s blood, were found in the bedroom and hallway, and his handprints, in Meredith’s blood, were found on a pillow case in Meredith's room and on her wall, this guy is innocent!! The Italian police needs to find the real killer! :rolleyes:

MacMadame
02-17-2012, 02:32 AM
Just because Meredith was a victim, it doesn't mean Amanda wasn't also a victim.

In this case my compassion is with Meredith Kercher, her family, the innocent man falsely accused of murder by Amanda Knox, the Italian boyfriend of Amanda Knox, Amanda Knox's family and Amanda Knox in that order.
I don't see why there has to be an order. Compassion is like love -- it's not a limited supply that you have to ration.

Though, if we're ranking them, the guy who was "accused of murder" didn't seem to suffer all that much -- the "accusation" wasn't taken all that seriously and he got a large cash award to make up for any suffering he did go through.

Plus, I blame the police for that one as much as Knox. They pushed at her to speculate as to an alternative explanation. So she offered up one. I wouldn't have done it but saying "well maybe it's Joe" is a lot different than saying "It was Joe. I just know it!"

Honestly, I think the Italian police pushed her into this and then used what she gave them as one more way to torture her. They don't seem to have seriously considered the guy a murder suspect at any time from what I can see. They did interview him but they probably would have done that regardless.

4rkidz
02-17-2012, 02:38 AM
Do people not think that Rudy Guede is the real murderer? The one who is in jail?

not according to the British tabloids which have been splashing the stories of Amanda Knox being a sl*t and basically buying the whole Italian prosecution stories - and for the past 4 years.. those tabloids aren't like regular newspapers more like the national enquirer - but everybody reads the crap.. :blah: And here in North America you get movies of the week with what a victim Amanda Knox was - So at a wild guess I would imagine if you did a poll in Europe it might be a different response to North Americans.. just guessing..;) For me I don't have a clue - but I do feel for the victims family.. who do they get to blame?

BigB08822
02-17-2012, 05:07 AM
I didn't say you called her that. I said you were the first to use the phrase and bring it to the thread. Am I incorrect about that?

Oh, the semantics game! Weee! :cheer:

zippy
02-17-2012, 07:23 AM
That cow was perfectly willing to falsely accuse an innocent man of committing murder. Pardon me if I don't have much sympathy. :blah:

Poor Meredith Kercher's family. Can't imagine what it must feel like to see someone profiting off her murder. :(

Ugh. That cow? Excuse me? Do you know what conditions that statement was made under? Amanda had been interrogated for 43 hours in the 5 days following the murder, and for 8 hours overnight at the point that this happened. The police had found hairs from someone of African descent at the crime scene and had also found Amanda's text messages to Patrick Lumumba, the last of which was some poor translation into Italian of "see you later", which the police took to mean "see you tonight at my house and let's kill my roommate". Amanda was already a strong suspect at this time, although it seems she didn't really realize it yet. The police were the ones who suggested to her that Patrick was in the house, and they did it repeatedly. They told her they had ironclad proof that Patrick was the one who committed the murder, and not only that, but they could prove that Amanda was in the house at the time. They told her that she couldn't remember this because she was traumatized, or she was lying. Finally after hours of this, she relented and went along with it when they asked her to imagine what it would have been like if she had been there. Here is Amanda's account (http://www.general-video.com/watch/gv13e4385hc9i0/Amanda%20Knox%20-%20The%20Interrogation%20in%20Her%20Own%20Words) of the interrogation in her own words.

There's been a lot of research about false confessions these days, and it's not unusual with these long interrogations with intense psychological manipulation. People think that if they just give the police what they want to hear, it will be over and the truth will surely come out in the end. People have even falsely confessed to murdering their own children. Young people living abroad can be vulnerable to this, in situations where they don't have a good grasp of the language and the culture, and locals perhaps regard them suspiciously. This even happened to my own family member, who was arrested and held in jail for the murder of someone she had never met, which took place in a part of town she never visited. She was accused because she drove a car that looked like the murderer's car.

Amanda has every right to tell her story - in fact, if it's done well, it can highlight these issues and help wrongly imprisoned people, which she's expressed interest in advocating for in the future. Also, she likely has no choice whether to sell her story, since her family went into financial ruin to defend her. It's terrible what happened to Meredith, but if Amanda is truly innocent, she's not profiting off her murder, just telling her own story.

Angelskates
02-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Is it generally thought that Amanda actually doesn't know anything about what happened? I just find that so hard to believe, but I'm not really sure why.

allezfred
02-17-2012, 10:34 AM
I agree. Even tho Rudy Guede admitted he was in the room, and his DNA was found all over the crime scene, was found in and on Meredith's body, and was found along with Meredith’s blood on Meredith's purse, and his shoe prints, set in Meredith’s blood, were found in the bedroom and hallway, and his handprints, in Meredith’s blood, were found on a pillow case in Meredith's room and on her wall, this guy is innocent!! The Italian police needs to find the real killer! :rolleyes:

Since the investigation has been found to be flawed by an Italian court, then I think the whole case needs to be reopened.

not according to the British tabloids which have been splashing the stories of Amanda Knox being a sl*t and basically buying the whole Italian prosecution stories - and for the past 4 years.. those tabloids aren't like regular newspapers more like the national enquirer - but everybody reads the crap.. :blah:

I most certainly do not read tabloids, British or otherwise. :P

Oh, the semantics game! Weee! :cheer:

Learn how to play it next time then before you go around accusing people of being anti-American for having a different opinion than you do. It's the argument of last resort for the lazy brain.

orientalplane
02-17-2012, 12:33 PM
those tabloids aren't like regular newspapers more like the national enquirer - but everybody reads the crap.. :blah: ?

No, they don't.

cruisin
02-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Ugh. That cow? Excuse me? Do you know what conditions that statement was made under?... Entire Post...Amanda has every right to tell her story - in fact, if it's done well, it can highlight these issues and help wrongly imprisoned people, which she's expressed interest in advocating for in the future. Also, she likely has no choice whether to sell her story, since her family went into financial ruin to defend her. It's terrible what happened to Meredith, but if Amanda is truly innocent, she's not profiting off her murder, just telling her own story.

Well said.

Since the investigation has been found to be flawed by an Italian court, then I think the whole case needs to be reopened.

I think Ziggy summed it up very well. The Italian police wanted to crucify Amanda Knox. I don't think there was or is any doubt that Guede did it, but he played their game and will be out of jail in 12 years (16 total). You don't seem to have any anger directed at that.

Kercher has not become lost in this. A young woman was brutally murdered. The anger should be directed at the person who killed her, not another victim.

BigB08822
02-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Learn how to play it next time then before you go around accusing people of being anti-American for having a different opinion than you do. It's the argument of last resort for the lazy brain.

Your reputation precedes you. If I wanted to be lazy I would have resorted to calling you something other than anti-American, I promise.

duane
02-17-2012, 03:22 PM
No matter how flawed the investigation was, the evidence is solid, and it all points to the one guy who is sitting in prison...not to the other two who were.

I am sure that Meredith wants only her true killer punished for her murder, and happily the Italiam court was able to look past the witch hunt sensationalism of the crime and make that happen.

taf2002
02-17-2012, 03:49 PM
The Italian police wanted to crucify Amanda Knox.

I don't have a clue what really happened...I also don't have a theory. But I keep wondering why people think the Italian police wanted to crucify Amanda or anyone random who was innocent. Do people really think that the police & prosecutor got together & said "ok, we got the killer but let's see if we can get 2 innocent people to also go to prison for it & let's arrange a plea bargain for the killer to insure the other 2 have a longer sentence than him". :confused:

I don't understand villifying the Italians for something so common in the US. America certainly has plenty of innocent people in prison. Mistakes happen. So does corruption. None of us here know which this is...or whether Amanda is really innocent or guilty. We'll never know, we can only speculate.

BigB08822
02-17-2012, 05:09 PM
They didn't know they had the killer, right? The guy most people think did it ended up in prison for a totally different crime, didn't he? They were trying desperately to pin this on someone at the time of Knox's interrogation and trial.

pingu
02-17-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't understand villifying the Italians for something so common in the US. America certainly has plenty of innocent people in prison. Mistakes happen. So does corruption. None of us here know which this is...or whether Amanda is really innocent or guilty. We'll never know, we can only speculate.

Thank you

Prancer
02-17-2012, 09:56 PM
I don't understand villifying the Italians for something so common in the US. America certainly has plenty of innocent people in prison.

And that somehow mitigates the situation?

It seems to me that the only error in such cases would be not making more of an issue of the innocent people in prison here. A botched investigation and badly managed trial is still a botched investigation and a poorly run trial, regardless of whether there are other botched investigations and poorly run trials.