PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Knox Verdict Today

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31

Prancer
10-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Knox's face was her misfortune: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/08/amanda-knox-facial-expressions

cruisin
10-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Knox's face was her misfortune: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/08/amanda-knox-facial-expressions

Great article, thanks for posting it.

Vash01
10-09-2011, 06:32 PM

Excellent article. Thanks for posting. I particularly liked that they quoted some experts, like a psychologist ("Asymetric" reference)

*Jen*
10-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Or they might run because they are innocent but think they are believed guilty.

Or or or.

So in terms of evidence, I don't think staying or running is particularly persuasive.

I understand that, but I think there is good cause to be cautious when assessing behavior based on what you think you would do under the same circumstances.

ITA with Prancer. I read a really interesting article once on the 'flight or fight' response people get when they're in a situation such as this one...or another such as a plane crash etc. Why do some people freeze and others respond instantly when an accident happens?

In terms of murderers, IIRC if the crime is pre-meditated the murderer might stick around. If not, they might run. It all depends on character and the worst mistake to make is most definitely judging someone based on what we suspect our own response may be.

IceAlisa
10-10-2011, 02:11 AM
Love this quote:

The eyes are not windows to the soul. They are organs for converting light into electro-magnetic impulses.
:respec:
And this is very disturbing:

"We were able to establish guilt," said Edgardo Giobbi, the lead investigator, "by closely observing the suspect's psychological and behavioural reaction during the interrogation. We don't need to rely on other kinds of investigation."

Vash01
10-10-2011, 05:16 AM
That quote really is disturbing.

Just saw the latest People magazine, with Amanda Knox on the cover. The article had pretty much the information we already have, except that it described how she spent her time in the prison. She showed great discipline in keeping in shape by working out for the 2 hours she was allowed to spend outside. Having family and friends visit frequently definitely helped.

Jenna
10-10-2011, 05:26 AM
That quote is highly disturbing. It makes me so glad justice was served in this case.

*Jen*
10-10-2011, 09:03 AM
That quote is highly disturbing. It makes me so glad justice was served in this case.

Except that it wasn't - not 100%. While I agree that the quote is disturbing and I'm very glad that two innocent people have been freed, I have to agree with the Kerchers that Meredith has been hugely forgotten. This case wasn't just about Amanda and Raffaele - but also about Meredith.

This verdict might mean closure for some, but for the Kerchers it just means more questions and fewer answers about how and why their daughter and sister died. That's not justice.

The original investigation didn't just fail those wrongly accused of murder, it failed Meredith Kercher. The second trial only righted half the wrong. If it was Guede, then he's in prison but not serving a life sentence. If it was someone else, they're still out there. Where's the justice in that?

cruisin
10-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Except that it wasn't - not 100%. While I agree that the quote is disturbing and I'm very glad that two innocent people have been freed, I have to agree with the Kerchers that Meredith has been hugely forgotten. This case wasn't just about Amanda and Raffaele - but also about Meredith.

This verdict might mean closure for some, but for the Kerchers it just means more questions and fewer answers about how and why their daughter and sister died. That's not justice.

The original investigation didn't just fail those wrongly accused of murder, it failed Meredith Kercher. The second trial only righted half the wrong. If it was Guede, then he's in prison but not serving a life sentence. If it was someone else, they're still out there. Where's the justice in that?

I agree with you, but I see "this case" as two separate cases within one. Yes, they are connected, but righting the wrong verdict does not forget Meredith. The murder part of the case was handled sloppily because of the police's and prosecutor's blind need to get Amanda and Raffaele. They were more focused on their (almost literal) witch hunt, not getting justice for the victim. I don't think the public has forgotten that a young woman's life was taken, I think the authorities did.

Angelskates
10-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Except that it wasn't - not 100%.

I don't believe there is ever such a thing as 100% justice, especially for the victims of crime. There are always questions that remain unanswered.

Vash01
10-10-2011, 05:20 PM
I agree with you, but I see "this case" as two separate cases within one. Yes, they are connected, but righting the wrong verdict does not forget Meredith. The murder part of the case was handled sloppily because of the police's and prosecutor's blind need to get Amanda and Raffaele. They were more focused on their (almost literal) witch hunt, not getting justice for the victim. I don't think the public has forgotten that a young woman's life was taken, I think the authorities did.

Well said.

Guinevere
10-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Really late to the conversation but a few things I've read about this case:

- The "confession" was apparently ruled inadmissible in the murder trial because the Italian courts ruled her rights HAD been violated (no lawyer, no proper translator) and was thrown out. However, it WAS admitted during the defamation trial of Lumjmba which ran at the same time as the murder trial with the same jury. It was a weird quirk which meant the jury still heard it even though they weren't supposed to consider it for the murder trial.

- The cell phones: Apparently from what I read, Amanda had been given the night off from work by her boss and they shut off their phones (which they had never done before) so she wouldn't get called back to work unexpectedly.

- The cleaning supplies were bought because a pipe under the sink burst. From a news programme I watched, apparently even the prosecutor said she never bought any bleach.

- The eyewitness who saw them around the time of the murder near the house: He said he remembered them and clearly remembered a bus ready to take the university students to the clubs. Problem is, the night of the murder was a stat holiday in Italy and the buses weren't running and the clubs were closed. So the dates were clearly messed up. Also, this eyewitness is a "serial" witness and has testified in two other murder trials for the prosecutor. While being under investigation for dealing heroin. The appeals judge got so fed up with him, he practically kicked him out of the appeal without finishing his testimony.

cruisin
10-26-2011, 10:45 PM
^^ WOW!

Guinevere
12-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Just a little update, the Italian court released its findings and said why they acquitted her. Pretty much said there was no case against her and the prosecution attempted to "demonize" her.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/15/amanda-knox-trial-flawed-says-judge?newsfeed=true

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/8959333/Amanda-Knox-unfairly-demonised-for-behaviour-judge-says.html

soxxy
02-16-2012, 07:36 PM
HarperCollins has paid $4 million for the rights to her memoirs:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/harpercollins-is-said-to-acquire-rights-to-amanda-knox-memoir/?src=tp

Some people in the publishing industry have questioned the prospects of a book written by Ms. Knox, who to some members of the public is not a wholly sympathetic figure.

I always wonder if these sorts of books make back their money, or if a movie deal is necessary.