PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Knox Verdict Today

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31

Prancer
10-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Why would she run, if she didn't do anything? Why would she expect to be tried, if she didn't do anything? Why would she stay, to help, if she could leave, at that point?

You do know that lots of criminals really DO return to the scene of the crime and that there are plenty of examples of murderers who want to help the police catch the real killer--and not just OJ Simpson?

Civic
10-07-2011, 11:22 PM
...Guede was convicted as "an accessory in the murder of Mez, which was committed by Knox and Sollecito". Clearly, something is wrong here for him...
IIRC, didn't he cut a deal with the prosecutor in exchange for his testimony against Knox and Sollecito? As part of the deal, they gave him 16 years instead of life imprisonment. At the time it probably seemed like a smart move to him given his circumstances.

IceAlisa
10-08-2011, 03:40 AM
IIRC, didn't he cut a deal with the prosecutor in exchange for his testimony against Knox and Sollecito? As part of the deal, they gave him 16 years instead of life imprisonment. At the time it probably seemed like a smart move to him given his circumstances.

That was my understanding as well.

cruisin
10-08-2011, 03:43 AM
You do know that lots of criminals really DO return to the scene of the crime and that there are plenty of examples of murderers who want to help the police catch the real killer--and not just OJ Simpson?

I get that, but there are probably many more innocent people who would not think to leave, since they didn't do anything.

Prancer
10-08-2011, 05:45 AM
I get that, but there are probably many more innocent people who would not think to leave, since they didn't do anything.

Or they might run because they are innocent but think they are believed guilty.

Or or or.

So in terms of evidence, I don't think staying or running is particularly persuasive.

cruisin
10-08-2011, 02:43 PM

Or or or.

So in terms of evidence, I don't think staying or running is particularly persuasive.

As evidence, you're right. But, if I had committed a crime like that and had an opportunity to leave, I'd get out (which is what Guede did). If I had nothing to do with it, I would not feel at risk. Just my perspective.

Lacey
10-09-2011, 03:23 AM
A good show on 48 Hours Mystery tonight, 10pm, CBS.

BigB08822
10-09-2011, 03:49 AM

Crap, would have liked to watch this. Maybe someone will upload it on youtube or something.

Lacey
10-09-2011, 04:23 AM
It contained a lot of previously published information. THere was here, however, for the first time, a lovely story about how Amanda's best friend moved to Perugia after the conviction two years ago to help her through emotionally, visited her twice per week and stayed for the duration. Amanda had a very shaky start in prison, who wouldn't, at first when one of the jail officers took her into his office, alone, at night and asked her questions about sex, who she had had it with, would she have it with him. Finally when her attorneys complained, it stopped. Other sad, she was never allowed outside after 3pm.

Vash01
10-09-2011, 04:31 AM

I missed it. I hope there will be a rerun.

BigB08822
10-09-2011, 04:36 AM
Wow, that is one amazing friend. I wonder how she had the means to do that but what a friend to have.

Cyn
10-09-2011, 05:44 AM

I missed it. I hope there will be a rerun.

Damn, I wish I'd known it was on as I would have liked to watch it as well.

I don't know if 48 Hours is available as part of Comcrap's On Demand option, but if your cable/satellite provider carries ID (Investigation Discovery), I've found that they usually air the recent CBS 48 Hours Mystery episodes a week or two later (they did this with their recent (updated) 48 Hours episode about the West Memphis Three covering their release after the Alford Plea). You'll need to check your cable guide, though, to find out when the one about Amanda Knox will air.

Prancer
10-09-2011, 05:47 AM
As evidence, you're right. But, if I had committed a crime like that and had an opportunity to leave, I'd get out (which is what Guede did). If I had nothing to do with it, I would not feel at risk. Just my perspective.

I understand that, but I think there is good cause to be cautious when assessing behavior based on what you think you would do under the same circumstances.

loulou
10-09-2011, 12:51 PM
No, he had some local people say some not so nice things about him, but I suppose if he had enough $$$ he would have been able to find some to say the same sort of nice things about him as apparently the Knox family was able to uncover with their spending. :rolleyes:

I'm not questioning that all the good things said and found on Knox's past were absolutely true, and had nothing to do with fact that the Knoxs payed a PR company to dig those witnesses and build up such an image of her.

And yet the Knoxs thought they'd pay such PR company: they should have thought that would have made a difference, shouldn't they?

Guede was a drug dealer, so nothing really good to say about him, right?

Knox, who said she was scared by the police and felt lost in a country she had been staying only two months, managed to find herlself a drug dealer that would come to her house in the same two months (personally, I don't think I would be able to do the same - just saying). Did her friends say anything about drugs? Should I roll eyes here?

Of course, Guede also had all that DNA of his on the victim and a handprint of his in the victim's own blood to explain away

Yeah. That was in the first trial degree. The one that convicted Knox and Sollecito.

I'm not sure that having dozens of people saying what a nice guy he really always had been would be able to make much of a difference against the physical evidence.

Guede was convicted as an accessory of the murder Knox and Sollecito committed. See something wrong here? Still think PR are would have been no help, given how things changed from first to secon degree?

Why would she run, if she didn't do anything? Why would she expect to be tried, if she didn't do anything? Why would she stay, to help, if she could leave, at that point?

Investigators make mistakes. Given the very foggy circumstances, the fragile alibi, the connction to the victim, the drug, the unknown country, the language barrier, and so on: I would have run either way, inocent or guilty.

She had good reasons to run if she was guilty, as she had good reasons to run if she wasn't.
You go back to your country, safe and sound, and then you'll help from ther, if you wish.
That's for Knox. Sollecito's situation was different, as he is italian.

Or or or.

See my point and Prancer's point? Running or staying is no good indication for innocence or guiltyness, no more than all other circumstacial evedences.

That was my understanding as well.

Already said that: no. - BTW, US press must be inventing things.

Guede was initially convicted to thirty years.
Chosing to give up the right to remain in silent, the right to present further evedence, and the right to a second debate, Guede's inial conviction was by law cut by one third (thirty years go down to twenty).
In the first hearing of the second trial degree, he was then granted attenuating circumstances, that further diminished his time.

I have no knowledge about a deal (as I said, I don't follow violent crimes), but if such was done, it had very little - if nothing - to do with his time reduction.

Sylvia
10-09-2011, 03:32 PM
The show is available online now: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7383976n&tag=contentMain;contentBody