PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Knox Verdict Today

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

skatingfan5
10-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I read a lot about the evidence when they were on trial the 1st time. They had DNA evidence then...it's not new. Her DNA & Raffaele's DNA was on the knife & the knife was found at his house, not at the murder scene.That supposed "DNA evidence" is what is being challenged as not being valid in this appeal.
Maybe they are innocent...I haven't read the transcripts of either trial & I don't know. But why does everyone assume they are innocent based on some news stories?I will admit that for me what was presented on ABC's 20'20 seemed to make a compelling case (here's an article that summarizes (http://abcnews.go.com/International/critics-knox-prosecutor-giuliano-mignini-seeking-revenge-redemption/story?id=14623904) a lot of it)-- especially the background on the prosecutor and the original story of Rudy Guede, the guy convicted of the murder/rape (whose DNA was all over the murder scene). The various and changing scenarios that the prosecution presented just seemed to me to be much less believable than the ones that didn't involve Amanda and Rafael's being part of the murder.

ETA: Rudy Guede originally was sentenced to 30 years, but appealed the sentence and it was reduced to 16 years (thought in large part to be because of his "help" with the prosecution's case of Amanda and Rafael).

Vash01
10-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Maybe they are innocent...I haven't read the transcripts of either trial & I don't know. But why does everyone assume they are innocent based on some news stories?

The Italian media seemed to influence this case a lot, by portraying Amanda as an evil person. Who knows if the jury was quarantined or not? If there is a reasonable doubt about her innocence, she should be freed.

Oreo
10-03-2011, 06:55 PM
That supposed "DNA evidence" is what is being challenged as not being valid in this appeal.I will admit that for me what was presented on ABC's 20'20 seemed to make a compelling case (here's an article that summarizes (http://abcnews.go.com/International/critics-knox-prosecutor-giuliano-mignini-seeking-revenge-redemption/story?id=14623904) a lot of it)-- especially the background on the prosecutor and the original story of Rudy Guede, the guy convicted of the murder/rape (whose DNA was all over the murder scene).

I saw that 20/20 program, too. Essentially, for those who don't have time to read the above article. The prosecutor has been "convicted"--but final verdict and appeals have been postponed until after Amanda's trial--of abuse of office. So, this whole fiasco has been politics on his part. And you gotta love the part that what was found on the supposed knife at Raffael's was something like rye.

BigB08822
10-03-2011, 06:57 PM
When will the verdict come? Isn't it getting late in Italy?

milanessa
10-03-2011, 07:04 PM

There's no deadline. It was only guessing on the US media's part that suggested a verdict will be rendered today.

BigB08822
10-03-2011, 07:06 PM
They apparently have a verdict but are waiting to announce it. Could come any time within the next 90 minutes.

I am hearing that if she is freed she needs to leave Italy as quickly as humanly possible because the Prosecution will press charges again. There is not a double jeopardy law in Italy? How awful! They can continue to charge her forever, even if she is acquitted 10 times?

numbers123
10-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Actually what I heard on the news was that as early as 1 pm would have been their best guess. So I don't think that it is a little late to hear as yet.
All networks have promised to break into broadcasting to announce the verdict, which seems a bit overkill to my mind

Oops you posted the above post by the time I finished this post

milanessa
10-03-2011, 07:13 PM
I am hearing that if she is freed she needs to leave Italy as quickly as humanly possible because the Prosecution will press charges again. There is not a double jeopardy law in Italy? How awful! They can continue to charge her forever, even if she is acquitted 10 times?

Would it be an acquittal or an overturning of a previous verdict? Even in the states the prosecutors can refile if a verdict is overturned on appeal.

barbk
10-03-2011, 07:15 PM
CNN banner indicating the announcement will be at 3:30 E.T., which seems very late in Italy. Do courts issue decisions that late? (Other than emergency injunctions and stays of death sentences I can't remember many here.) Not sure what, if anything, the timing implies.

Jenya
10-03-2011, 07:18 PM
There's no deadline. It was only guessing on the US media's part that suggested a verdict will be rendered today.

I just saw on Twitter that the verdict will be read at 3:30 PM EST, according to CNN.

rfisher
10-03-2011, 07:26 PM
The Italian court system is totally different than the US system, so I don't think you can read anything into anything. The fact they don't bother to sequester the jury and can and did use wildly circumstantial evidence is just bizarre in a capitol case.

Vash01
10-03-2011, 07:37 PM
The Italian court system is totally different than the US system, so I don't think you can read anything into anything. The fact they don't bother to sequester the jury and can and did use wildly circumstantial evidence is just bizarre in a capitol case.

ITA. That's why I am not getting my hopes up for Amanda.:(

BigB08822
10-03-2011, 07:42 PM

ITA. That's why I am not getting my hopes up for Amanda.:(

I know. I think this is very political for the Italian system and I don't think they will allow themselves to look like they can get it wrong. I feel like Amanda's chances are very slim. If anything, I think they will just lower her sentence but I can't see them setting her free. I really hope I am wrong.

Moka-Ananas
10-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Didn't they even want to turn her sentence into a lifelong one this time?

my little pony
10-03-2011, 07:51 PM
she'd get more help if she was some clueless hitchhiker wandering about countries we dont get along with