PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Knox Verdict Today

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

loulou
10-05-2011, 11:23 PM
NONE. He hardly even presented circumstantial evidence. The DNA originally submitted had to be seriously called into question which is what the 2nd case was about. They had labs do independent reviews of that DNA and then the jury, after hearing their reviews, decided they were INNOCENT. The Prosecutor seems to think a lot of people go around performing Satanic rituals. Maybe he watched one too many 70s horror movies?

Every trial degree had independent analysis.

The independent lab that did the job in the first degree linked the DNA to the defendant; while the independent lab that did the job in the second degree couldn't conclude the same.

Then again: independent is how they should be.
But.
In Italy, in most cases, a prosecutor and a defendant lawyer that have been in the business long enough would know what lab would most probably say what (it's no coincidence that Italy is the most corrupted amongst western countries - and more).
The judge decides what lab will get to do the job.
Is the judge immune to pressure of any sort? Like a well known prosecutor? Or a famous lawyer that sits in the parlament? Or the US ambassy?

Aaaaand - here we go again: what chances did Guede have to pressure a judge into picking a desireble lab?

-- Just to be clear: I'm not advocating Knox's or Sollecito's innocence or vice versa.

IceAlisa
10-05-2011, 11:24 PM
So are you saying it's possible that it wasn't Guede's DNA but Amanda and her boyfriend's, and with more resources, this could have been shown?
Every trial degree had independent analysis.

The independent lab that did the job in the first degree linked the DNA to the defendant; while the independent lab that did the job in the second degree couldn't conclude the same.

Not only that but it seemed other independant labs had refused to test it because the sample was so small. I am not sure additional resources could change that.

kia_4EverOnIce
10-05-2011, 11:40 PM
I have to say that, given the many ways in which the police and prosecution mishandled this case and the way in which the Italian media are dominated by Berlusconi and/or government-related interests

sorry, but I don't understand. I agree Italian media are dominated by Berlusconi, but isn't Berlusconi's interest to keep good relationships with US? (-> ie: defend Knox). :rolleyes:

Oh my, there is quite the continental divide here. I hope that, if any of our Euro friends here get in trouble on US shores, our law & order treat them FAR more fairly than what they are suggesting is/was fair for Miss Knox.

Definetely there's a huge continental divide!
and I guess the eastern shore of the Atlantic is so upset because it doesn't accept law&order lectures from the US (you know, Troy Davis is still recent, to say one...)

Exactly. Nothing but a guilty conscience could wake me up at 5am! :scream:

For me neither a guilty conscience: had to finish a lot of stuff this morning, but couldn't get up before 9! :( :lol:

allezfred
10-05-2011, 11:46 PM
I never turn my phone off (unless I'm on an airplane). Not that I'm expecting calls or texts (I have the phone on vibrate), but just in case there was an emergency. It would be doubly so if I was in a foreign country. I'm :eek: that so many people here say they turn their phones off at night. You just better hope that none of you come before me when I'm on a jury. :EVILLE:

kia_4EverOnIce
10-05-2011, 11:55 PM
It would be doubly so if I was in a foreign country. I'm :eek: that so many people here say they turn their phones off at night.

I've lived in three different countries and never had my phone on during the night (actually, sometime I remember to switch it on only in the afternoon!)! :D
Actually, now I live in a country with a mobile card of a different country, that seems to not receive any call, just texts..yeah, perhaps it's time to top up the local mobile card... :shuffle:

but if there's something important, all my friends now that I'm internet addicted XD

BigB08822
10-06-2011, 12:25 AM
I never turn my phone off (unless I'm on an airplane). Not that I'm expecting calls or texts (I have the phone on vibrate), but just in case there was an emergency. It would be doubly so if I was in a foreign country. I'm :eek: that so many people here say they turn their phones off at night. You just better hope that none of you come before me when I'm on a jury. :EVILLE:

Yeah, and better hope they look "nice and innocent."

overedge
10-06-2011, 01:08 AM
Great point. I wash clothes 3-4 days a week on average, and I live alone. Imagine if one of my neighbors were murdered. Oh my, I heard the washer machine in the guy's apartment above me being used daily. He must have been cleaning his bloody clothes. I mean, why else would he wash clothes so often?

I also take looooong showers. More evidence against me, as I must have been washing the victim's DNA from my body.

I can just hear the quotes now: "Oh, he kept to himself but he was never any trouble and always said hello to us in the hallways....I never would have guessed that something like this was going on" etc. etc. etc.

agalisgv
10-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Here's a pretty balanced article that explains both the problems with Knox's testimony, and the problems with the prosecution (I don't think it's been linked yet, but my apologies if it has).

http://news.yahoo.com/knox-verdict-leaves-long-list-questions-231521684.html

Vagabond
10-06-2011, 02:00 AM
sorry, but I don't understand. I agree Italian media are dominated by Berlusconi, but isn't Berlusconi's interest to keep good relationships with US? (-> ie: defend Knox).

I think it's more in Berlusphony's Berlusconi's interest to defend the apparatus of the state than to cozy up to the U.S. But I'm a foreigner and do not claim to be intimately familiar with his philosophy of government (such as it is). If you think he's more interested in foreign than domestic opinion, I'd love to hear why.

MacMadame
10-06-2011, 02:06 AM
I am curious about this business with turning phones off. I have an iPhone and it can't really be "turned off". I can put it in "Airplane Mode" where I can't get calls or use the 3G network but the phone is still on and I can play games with it. There is a way to actually turn it off (short of running out of battery power) but it involves holding down a certain button and you have to know about it.

I thought all smart phones were made that way these days and that most people have smart phone. Is that not true?

my little pony
10-06-2011, 02:08 AM
i have a stupid phone

mag
10-06-2011, 02:13 AM
I have a Blackbery and it is very easy to turn on and off. I suppose, like my little pony, my phone is not very smart. It is rather cute ... Does that count?

IceAlisa
10-06-2011, 02:53 AM
I thought all smart phones were made that way these days and that most people have smart phone. Is that not true?

My smartphone can be turned off and like you, you'd have to know about it. I will have to ask you about the iPhone button as we are about to get the 4S. I think the death of Steve Jobs has pushed us over to the iPhone vs. Galaxy.

Sorry for the thread drift.

I have a Blackbery and it is very easy to turn on and off. I suppose, like my little pony, my phone is not very smart. It is rather cute ... Does that count?
May be. But it's also very suspicious. :sekret:

Cyn
10-06-2011, 03:18 AM

Far from it.

i have a stupid phone

Like MLP, I also have a stupid phone. Hell, I don't even have texting enabled on it. My kid has a touchphone, but she isn't connected to the 4G network or whatever it is that makes a phone "smart." Like me, she also doesn't have texting enabled on it, either - she spends enough time on the computer chatting and goofing around on FB, so I figure the last thing she needs is yet another way to limit her social interacting in real life.

Norlite
10-06-2011, 03:23 AM
Nancy Grace weighs in....still believes she's guilty

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2011/10/nancy-grace-amanda-knox-verdict-was-miscarriage-of-justice/1

"I was very disturbed, because I think it is a huge miscarriage of justice," Grace told Access Hollywood after Monday's Dancing With the Stars show.
"I believe that while Amanda Knox did not wield the knife herself, I think that she was there, with her boyfriend, and that he did the deed, and that she egged him on. That's what I think happened," Nancy declared.

I believe her original statement to the police - that she was there in the home when her roommate was murdered was true. ... What they want to do with her regarding sentencing is their business."

I haven't followed this at all and have no personal interest in the story, I just happened to see this interview with Grace on some entertainment show as I was flipping through channels