PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Knox Verdict Today

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Vagabond
10-05-2011, 08:26 PM
When police got Raffaele in Germany he had a knife with him.

Raffaele Sollecito was arrested at his home in Perugia.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/flatmate-admits-involvement-in-british-womans-murder-as-two-others-are-held-399287.html

(Rudy Guede is the one who was arrested in Germany.)

And, as mentioned upthread, the knife in question has been shown to not be the murder weapon.

Apperently Amanda was shoping bleach/other cleaning stuff next morning.

Heaven forbid that a young person should buy cleaning supplies!

The prosecution's theory was that Knox and Sollecito used bleach to clean his knife, but, again, the knife was been shown not to have been the murder weapon.

I have to say that, given the many ways in which the police and prosecution mishandled this case and the way in which the Italian media are dominated by Berlusconi and/or government-related interests, I am skeptical as to whether any of the evidence that ostensibly implicated Knox and Sollecito was genuine. Even the alleged inculpating statements may have been coerced (and therefore of little or no probative value) or made up by the police.

poths
10-05-2011, 08:27 PM
As will all of us, one day, unless we are cremated, mummified, or stored in a deep freeze.
I'll have the freezer

BigB08822
10-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Just goes to show, if you're pretty enough, you can get away with murder.

She'll rot, one day.

Pretty people have disappearing DNA? That's just NEAT!

Nekatiivi
10-05-2011, 08:46 PM
It doesn't matter why. You can't draw assumptions about MURDER or even covering up a murder based on something as silly as when a phone was turned off and on. There are 100 explanations as to why they could have turned their phones off when they did and back on when they did. 99 of them have nothing to do with the murder.

Maybe she turned off her phone because a pink elephant appeared at her door step and told her, in spanish, to turn off her phone NOW and turn it back on at 5:30 am? There is no less evidence to prove my theory wrong than yours.

Of course it dosen't prove anything. Thats way they were found not guilty.

And as I said before, I do not think Amanda killed anyone. But all her and her bf's actions together raise some quoestions. Whatever was going on with them, I do not think they killed or murdered anyone.

Vash01
10-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Maybe they'll give her a break now. She doesn't look selfish, entitled, etc, she looks broken. So, for those who want to judge her via her expressions (vague as that may be), is she still an American bitch?

FTR, I never thought she looked any more selfish or entitled than any other 20 year old college student. They all go through a rather obnoxious, I know everything stage, then they grow up. When my son came home from his semester in Florence, he thought he was just the coolest thing ever. Worldly and so, so sophisticated. I couldn't stand the way he was acting (:lol:). He's in law school now, reality check, he's back to himself.

I don't have children, but I taught a couple of courses at a local university one semester and I was shocked to see how arrogant and entitled those students were. So it's not surprising if that's how Amanda was when she had just arrived in Italy. After the last 4 years I seriously doubt that she will feel/look that way. Unfortunately, some people will always believe that she was guilty even though the courts cleared her.

Vash01
10-05-2011, 08:53 PM
When I check my phone in the morning I usually have half a dozen emails and a couple of texts ... I don't want to hear that buzzing all night long.
Sometimes I get up early just cause. I wake up and start thinking and I can't go back to sleep. Darn, between the cell phones and getting up early, dh and I better hope there is no criminal activity in our neighbourhood because we would look mighty suspicious!

I wish I was as popular as you.:lol:

On second thought, may be I don't wish that. I like my peace & quiet. :)

Beefcake
10-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Oh my, there is quite the continental divide here. I hope that, if any of our Euro friends here get in trouble on US shores, our law & order treat them FAR more fairly than what they are suggesting is/was fair for Miss Knox.

You know, I am only about 60% convinced that AK is not involved in this murder in some way, but I am 100% sure that nothing [that I've heard] has been shown to prove her guilt. Legally, THAT is where this case should be ending ... ala Casey Anthony, we can still wish her to rot or what-have-you, but this case itself is now just an ugly, straw-grabbing, blood lusting.

This cell phone off/on synchronization as proof of guilt stuff is just silly. :lol: I turn my cell off every night when I go to bed, and it's my back-up alarm at 5:10 every morning ... ooh, suspicious. Two young folks with phones turning off and back on at about the same times seems more likely than they being left "on" all night. (for reasons already mentioned above)

Vagabond
10-05-2011, 09:31 PM
This cell phone off/on synchronization as proof of guilt stuff is just silly. :lol: I turn my cell off every night when I go to bed, and it's my back-up alarm at 5:10 every morning ... ooh, suspicious. Two young folks with phones turning off and back on at about the same times seems more likely than they being left "on" all night. (for reasons already mentioned above)

:wideeyes:

And do you buy cleaning supplies too?

my little pony
10-05-2011, 09:33 PM
i bought drain cleaner this morning at 6:30

IceAlisa
10-05-2011, 09:35 PM

Morning persons can't be trusted.

Asli
10-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Exactly. Nothing but a guilty conscience could wake me up at 5am! :scream:

MacMadame
10-05-2011, 09:59 PM
I just don't see why people are invested in portraying her as nice or un-nice. To me the issue is criminal guilt--not her personality.
For me it's about how the media will often vilify a female defendant and in a way they rarely do with a male defendant. In this case, it's particularly striking because we had both a male and female defendant both charged with the exact same crime and one was vilified while the other was almost completely ignored. Therefore, the differences between how the media portrays her and how her friends portray her becomes more interesting.

Who knows why she changed her story but I dosen't give a good impression. Why not stick to the truth if you have nothing to hide?
Good question. I have had to spend a day in the kind of court that hears many cases over the course of a day several times and I have always been surprised at how people behave when being questioned.

For example, while waiting to testify in a traffic case, I saw a guy start out saying this other dude hit him and started the fight and by the end Other Dude's lawyer got him to say he punched first, not Other Dude and it was completely clear that the guy testifying thought he hadn't changed his testimony at all. The lawyer was able to get him all twisted around.

For some people, it's because they are stupid and don't listen closely to what the words mean. Throw in a few double negatives and some multiple syllable words and they get lost. For others, it's that they get nervous and their brain gets jumbled and they can't remember what they said or why or what actually happened.

For me, the knife thing is the most buzzling. Why to go around with a kitchen knife from appartment that is not yours?
Because you needed a knife and borrowed the handiest one and hadn't returned it yet?

And as I said before, I do not think Amanda killed anyone. But all her and her bf's actions together raise some quoestions.
The thing that I think gets lost in the coverage of a lot of these crimes is that all of us every day do things that could be considered suspicious if a crime were to happen around us. So this is always true and would be true for one of us if we got accused of something.

duane
10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
The thing that I think gets lost in the coverage of a lot of these crimes is that all of us every day do things that could be considered suspicious if a crime were to happen around us. So this is always true and would be true for one of us if we got accused of something.
Great point. I wash clothes 3-4 days a week on average, and I live alone. Imagine if one of my neighbors were murdered. Oh my, I heard the washer machine in the guy's apartment above me being used daily. He must have been cleaning his bloody clothes. I mean, why else would he wash clothes so often?

I also take looooong showers. More evidence against me, as I must have been washing the victim's DNA from my body.

cruisin
10-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Just goes to show, if you're pretty enough, you can get away with murder. She'll rot, one day.

That's what you think happened?

OMG! We had better keep our eyes on you!

Especially if they have phones and clean :scream:

Funny, I would never turn my phone off at night. I think that when you have grown kids, you want to be reachable at any time.

MacMadame - good post :)

loulou
10-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Um, you don't think it had something to do with the fact that his DNA was all over Meredith's room? In contrast, there was one tiny piece of DNA linking Raffaele to the crime scene, and that was a bra clasp that was improperly handled by police. Amanda lived in the same house, so of course her DNA would be in the bathroom, and I believe a tiny bit was found in Meredith's room, which makes total sense since they were roommates.

No. I don't think that Guede asked for a shortened trial because his DNA was all over the place.
I think that if he had the same kind of resources that Sollecito and Knox had, he would fought harder.

But again, as I wrote, this is merely speculation.

The prosecutor's scenario (Raffaele and Rudy held Meredith down while Amanda stabbed her) is ludicrous. Unless Amanda and Raffaele have Potter-esque invisible DNA or DNA that can magically turn into that of another person, it's simply impossible.

I don't get into this. I never followed the case closely, because, as I said, I'm not much into violent crimes.

In the face of DNA evidence this does seem rather irrelevant.

No, it doesn't.
In a trial that goes on for years, you can only fight as much as your resources allow you to.
This is not irrelevant.
No matter how bad your position looks in the beginning, who knows what new expertise could have brought to Guede's favour.
I think jail for jail, if you have the means, you keep fighting.

As others have pointed out, there are indications that the initial confession and mention of Lumumba were obtained under duress. Of course, there are those among us who just "know" they'd never crack under any kind of pressure and never say something, anything to just make it stop. Perhaps Amanda is not as hardy and valiant. :rolleyes:

This is beneath any of my considerations.

Sentences can be wrong (that's why people advocate against death penalty), judges are human. But as long as they're doing their best, and going by the law, that's all we can ask them.
Apparently, in this case Knox's lawyers weren't able to prove duress.