PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Knox Verdict Today

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

allezfred
10-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Bolsters my opinion that some people are incredibly stupid and trial by jury should be scrapped.

Did I mention I'm up for jury duty this month? :lol:

What's so Foxy about Knoxy anyway? She seems quite plain to me.

I thought "Foxy" might have been a reference to her being cunning, but it can't be that either. :shuffle:

Anyway, RIP Meredith.

Indeed. :(

cruisin
10-04-2011, 02:08 PM
We all judge based on the expression on peoples faces and their body language and anybody who says they don't is lying.

No, we all don't. We may form first impressions, but hopefully we are capable of knowing that first impressions are not truth. Hopefully, we are capable of rising above an impression and getting to know who the person really is. We don't judge.

That's why we have the court system to look at actual evidence before giving a verdict. They may not be right 100% of the time, but it is still better than judging people from their faces and (perceived) body language.

Absolutely!

While I don't think I would do that, I have read enough about interrogation methods to not be 100% sure. They can be very manipulative if they want to be and after a while with no sleep or food or anything else, many people crack and say whatever they are asked to say. It would be arrogant for me to believe that I would absolutely not crack no matter what.

I don't think any of us can possibly know how we would deal with that level of interrogation. You're right, it would be arrogant to think we do know. I also, remember that she was interrogated in Italian, if not entirely, at least in part. After 14 hours of mind games, twisting, manipulating, I think it is entirely possible to say things we don't mean or realize we are saying, especially with a language problem. Even if portions of the interview were conducted in English, do the Italian police understand the nuance of English well enough to know the difference between - this person may have done it and this person killed her? They asked her who she thought did it, she may have said look at this guy and they took it as a literal answer to their question, or the wanted to take it that way.

allezfred
10-04-2011, 02:11 PM
No, we all don't. We may form first impressions, but hopefully we are capable of knowing that first impressions are not truth. Hopefully, we are capable of rising above an impression and getting to know who the person really is. We don't judge.

Remember you're saying this on a figure skating forum. :rofl:

bek
10-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Oh, I am. I'm not Prancer after all. ;)

This trial just further bolsters my opinion that the death penalty is wrong, even if I don't find Amanda Knox a particularly sympathetic character.

This I agree with. It was one thing when humans lived in a dangerous age, where there wasn't tight security to keep violent criminals OUT of the street. But now with the kind of technologywe have, the death penalty feels too permanent.

numbers123
10-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Thanks everyone for your interesting and educated responses on this thread (allezfred's posts aside).

As noted before, the press coverage was different in England/Ireland than the US. We need to keep that in mind, in our egocentric view in the US.

Bolsters my opinion that some people are incredibly stupid and trial by jury should be scrapped.

Anyway, RIP Meredith.

Just because some people are stupid or they judge on the evidence presented and not reputed by the defense, doesn't mean that we should drop the whole trial by jury concept. If there were no trials in this case, there would have been no hope for release from jail.

Yes, RIP Meredith.

milanessa
10-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Just because some people are stupid or they judge on the evidence presented and not reputed by the defense, doesn't mean that we should drop the whole trial by jury concept. If there were no trials in this case, there would have been no hope for release from jail.

But no trial by jury doesn't mean no trial.

SHARPIE
10-04-2011, 02:58 PM
I disagree, I have a 19 yr old chavette as a FB friend. She posted an update a few months ago re being selected for Jury Service. The mis spellings amd txt speak in it made me laugh so much, I sent it around a few friends for a laugh. Seriously though, do we want these people sitting in judgement? I don't.

cruisin
10-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Remember you're saying this on a figure skating forum. :rofl:

Yes, we of all people, should know how destructive biassed judging can be.

As noted before, the press coverage was different in England/Ireland than the US. We need to keep that in mind, in our egocentric view in the US.

That may be. And I can understand that people will react to the information they are given, and the way it is presented. However, stating that someone is an evil, spoiled, American bitch because of their facial expressions or their eyes, is ridiculous and hardly based on any sort of information (right or wrong).

Veronika
10-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I disagree, I have a 19 yr old chavette as a FB friend. She posted an update a few months ago re being selected for Jury Service. The mis spellings amd txt speak in it made me laugh so much, I sent it around a few friends for a laugh. Seriously though, do we want these people sitting in judgement? I don't.

I can't believe I am saying this, because I hate text speak--but just because the younger ones "talk" like this on the internet and in text conversations doesn't mean that they are all stupid. Some of them just don't know how to write properly (and some of them are probably stupid.) ;)

SHARPIE
10-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Oh poor uneducated us who got led by the British Media ........ :drama:

And facially and expression wise, she does come across like an entitled bitch.That doesnt make her guilty of murder though.

This all reminds me a bit though of the British Nanny in the US who was on trial for murder about 10 or so years ago.

equatorial
10-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Welcome to Italy

OMG! It's like North Korea! :yikes:

bek
10-04-2011, 03:09 PM
I can't believe I am saying this, because I hate text speak--but just because the younger ones "talk" like this on the internet and in text conversations doesn't mean that they are all stupid. Some of them just don't know how to write properly (and some of them are probably stupid.) ;)

Or it may be that the girl doesn't feel like editing for a facebook message.

milanessa
10-04-2011, 03:11 PM
This all reminds me a bit though of the British Nanny in the US who was on trial for murder about 10 or so years ago.

Me too.

cruisin
10-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Oh poor uneducated us who got led by the British Media ........ :drama:

And facially and expression wise, she does come across like an entitled bitch.That doesnt make her guilty of murder though.

No one said anything about the British being uneducated. However, there is point of view, which comes into play. The murder victim was British, the Italian police wanted convictions, and Americans wanted to believe that a student from the US could not have done what she was accused of. However, shoddy police work and contaminated, mis-processed evidence, should not put someone in jail, for 25 years, if they are not guilty. No one will ever truly know what happened that night, but the evidence indicates that Amanda Knox and her ex-boyfriend did not murder or participate in the murder of Meredith Kercher. Nothing will bring Meredith back. It was/is a horrible tragedy - the horror she must have experienced and the horror her family must deal with is devastating, but imprisoning two people who did not do it, will not change that. All that does is make more victims.

taf2002
10-04-2011, 03:47 PM
This I agree with. It was one thing when humans lived in a dangerous age, where there wasn't tight security to keep violent criminals OUT of the street. But now with the kind of technology we have, the death penalty feels too permanent.

Huh? It was ok to hang the wrong man when life was dangerous but now that we have better technology we should do away with the death penalty? Whether you're for the death penalty or not, this doesn't make sense.

BTW, there must have been a reason why the Italian police interrogated AN & the boyfriend in the 1st place. Meredith had 3 roommates. Why did the police target only Amanda, who had only known Meredith for about a month? They had fingerprints & DNA from Guade (sp?), why did they think anyone else had anything to do with it? I think there's a lot we don't know. I don't know if murderers went free or if justice was served & no one here knows for sure either.