PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Knox Verdict Today

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

BigB08822
10-04-2011, 03:30 AM
Wow, where is Poths? He had some NASTY things to say about her in the original thread. Was she portrayed as a complete bitch in Ireland or something?

jeffisjeff
10-04-2011, 03:42 AM
Wow, where is Poths? He had some NASTY things to say about her in the original thread. Was she portrayed as a complete bitch in Ireland or something?

Well, considering that the victim was British, the coverage coming out of the UK was rather different than that in the US. And Ireland gets a lot of UK news coverage. My husband generally reads UK news sources over US ones (BBC, etc.) and his views are quite anti-Knox (although the fact that he actually has paid attention to the case leaves me :eek: and :rofl: - he's turning into his mother, the true crime addict).

Anyway, Time.com has a recent story about how news coverage has varied across the three countries (US, UK and Italy):

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2095586,00.html

bek
10-04-2011, 04:13 AM
Well, I never advocated that the court system operated that way. I was just stating a personal opinion. ;)

But you've never been wrong about a person after getting to know them? I know I have been. I'm not saying that first impressions aren't indicators but people can surprise you too. Its amazing on the media can change things/twist things too.

If she did purposely accuse him, she's certainly gotten a taste of her own medicine.

IceAlisa
10-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Anyway, Time.com has a recent story about how news coverage has varied across the three countries (US, UK and Italy):

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2095586,00.html

Thanks for the link. This is quite shocking to me:

Italy is a sunny place, but free speech there is rather chilled. The nation was ranked 79th in press freedom in 2009. Journalists who criticize Silvio Berlusconi have been fired. Prosecutors have the right to throw journalists in jail on fairly flimsy grounds. Most Italian journalists assume phones are tapped.

:eek:

The article explains the virulent anti-Knox attitudes of some posters. I haven't been following the trial but my understanding is that the case against her and her boyfriend rested on the DNA evidence which has been discredited by an independent lab. And there is your reasonable doubt.

DickButtonFan
10-04-2011, 04:48 AM
Is this the girl that did cartwheels the day after her friend died? Seemed to be strange. I'm glad she was let go though as there wasn't enough evidence. The things said about this girl by the prosecution were disgusting.

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned all that much on the news programs I usually watch. I watched msnbc this afternoon and heard nothing about this, same with fox later on, hardly mentioned at all. I didn't watch CNN today so have no idea about the coverage on that channel. Just thought it would be mentioned a lot more. I saw her Amanda speak this morning on msnbc and only a few minutes were shown.

haribobo
10-04-2011, 05:06 AM
You mention it being ironic but I find it ironic that you can serve 3 years in jail for defamation in Italy when clearly the Italian system is very guilty of the same crime with these two people (Amanda and her ex).

:respec:

Thanks everyone for your interesting and educated responses on this thread (allezfred's posts aside). I'm mostly pleased with the result today but still horrified at what went down in the aftermath of the murder. I'm hopeful that this case shed light on the Italian system in such a way that this nonsense could not occur again.

IceAlisa
10-04-2011, 05:14 AM
So I am reading a bit more about the case now that Mini Ice is finally in bed and it seems someone by the name of Rudy Guede has been tried and convicted of Meredith's rape and murder, is this correct? And that his DNA was all over the place including on and inside the victim?

So were Knox and boyfriend charged and convicted as accessories? Or what?

BigB08822
10-04-2011, 05:32 AM
They were tried after Guede was convicted but arrested before him, right? Anyway, the Prosecutor came up with this idea that it was all some kind of Satanic sex ritual (apparently he has used this idea many times, he thinks people everywhere are having Satanic rituals) and that Amanda slit Meredith's throat while her boyfriend and the other guy held her down. I don't know enough details to know why he was tried first or why he was tried on his own when Amanda and her boyfriend were tried together. But yes, his DNA was everywhere. Amanda's DNA was in the room but that is expected since she lived there but her DNA was not found anywhere in the blood which would have shown she was present at the time of the murder. Amanda's boyfriends DNA was only found in a trace amount on a bra clasp (I think that was his) but this bra wasn't taken from the apartment for something like 45 days and even then the amount of DNA was so small that most labs refused to test it because it would be inconclusive. Then they claimed to have found the murder weapon at the boyfriends place but it didn't even match the wound. :rolleyes:

IceAlisa
10-04-2011, 06:31 AM
What evidence was there for the "Satanic sex ritual"? I've noticed a few references to witches made by the prosecution--may be they should have tossed Knox in the water to see if she floats (the water rejects her, she is guilty) or drowns (the water accepts her, she is innocent). Tried and true method for witches. :rolleyes:

pingu
10-04-2011, 07:45 AM
This is quite shocking to me:

Italy is a sunny place, but free speech there is rather chilled. The nation was ranked 79th in press freedom in 2009. Journalists who criticize Silvio Berlusconi have been fired. Prosecutors have the right to throw journalists in jail on fairly flimsy grounds. Most Italian journalists assume phones are tapped.

:eek:

Welcome to Italy

IceAlisa
10-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Welcome to Italy

I love Italy but this makes me sad.

MacMadame
10-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Is this the girl that did cartwheels the day after her friend died? Seemed to be strange.

Is this the sort of crap the media used to make people hate this girl? Ohmigod, she had the nerve to do gymnastics movements after her roommate died. Clearly she's the spawn of Satan!

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

allezfred
10-04-2011, 09:42 AM
We make judgements because you can't get through life without making judgements. But you have to be open to the idea that your judgements are wrong.

Oh, I am. I'm not Prancer after all. ;)

This trial just further bolsters my opinion that the death penalty is wrong, even if I don't find Amanda Knox a particularly sympathetic character.

kia_4EverOnIce
10-04-2011, 10:11 AM
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2095586,00.html[/url]

The article explains the virulent anti-Knox attitudes of some posters.

The article is also pretty partial, there'd been lot of "bad" articles about Knox, but also some not so negative AFAIK.
here a recollection of main US, UK and Italian press: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15159828

I think this other one (last paragraph, I quoted main points) explain better some of the reactions (many twit yesterday sounded like that):
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2096056,00.html

If there was a local angle, it was a feeling of resentment over the treatment in the American media of the Italian justice system.
Many Italians have bristled at being judged by the land of O.J. Simpson and Casey Anthony; in the closing arguments, one lawyer for the prosecution called attention to the fact that at least Knox didn't face the death penalty.

I love Italy but this makes me sad.

:(

SHARPIE
10-04-2011, 10:48 AM
This trial just further bolsters my opinion that the death penalty is wrong, even if I don't find Amanda Knox a particularly sympathetic character.

Bolsters my opinion that some people are incredibly stupid and trial by jury should be scrapped.

What's so Foxy about Knoxy anyway? She seems quite plain to me.

Anyway, RIP Meredith.