PDA

View Full Version : Elizaveta Tuktamysheva wins 2011 Japan Open

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Maofan7
10-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Coming in as a late replacement for Sarah Meier, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva has just won the Japan Open on her senior debut. She beat quite an impressive line up. The result was as follows:-

1. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva RUS – 118.59
2. Joannie Rochette CAN – 112.74
3. Akiko Suzuki JPN – 112.46
4. Alena Leonova RUS – 108.39
5. Alissa Czisny USA – 107.64
6. Miki Ando JPN – 88.11

No videos available yet, but apparently she successfully landed six triples, including two triple-triple combinations - a triple lutz-triple toe, and a triple salchow-triple toe late on in the program. Her short program this season is Adios Nonino (a tango by Ástor Piazzolla) and her free skate is Besame Mucho (by Consuelo Velázquez). Here are some video's of her performing both programs earlier in the season.

Short Program & Free Skate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oDjlXeAoUE)

Short Program (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTzgG4rPKjE)

As for Adelina Sotnikova, news from the Russian Test Skates is that she produced a near perfect performance of her new short program (hence, if there is a leg problem still, it obviously isn't causing her any major problems). Accordingly, looks like both Russian newbies will be entering the senior grand prix in very good form.

Evidently, Sotnikova's late withdrawal from the Ondrej Nepela Memorial event was to enable her to properly prepare for the Russian Test Skates.

Macassar88
10-02-2011, 02:35 AM
If she can hit this, that would be amazing. Still hoping for a triple axel though.

Jammers
10-02-2011, 02:42 AM
Triple axels are overrated. If Mao had spent more time on her other triples then the axel maybe she wouldn't have had to fix her technique on them. No one has done them like Midori Ito.

midori
10-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Liza at Japan Open was absolutely amazing. Her jumps and other elements were great, and her performance does not look junior-ish at all.

She and Jeffrey Buttle were the highlights of the competition for me.

l'etoile
10-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Triple axels are overrated. If Mao had spent more time on her other triples then the axel maybe she wouldn't have had to fix her technique on them. No one has done them like Midori Ito.

ITA. I remember Mishin saying Liza's triple axel isn't ready yet. Since she's training alongside with Plushenko and Gachinski, I think she has a pretty better chance of actually succeeding it in competition.

fan
10-02-2011, 06:39 PM
uh, isn't this a big spoiler? can someone edit the title?

barbk
10-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Next question: how do you pronounce her last name? TOOK-tammy-shave-uh?

IceAlisa
10-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Took-tah-MI-sheh-vah

The mi- should be pronounced as in midnight. The sheh- should be pronounced as in sharing.

bardtoob
10-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Tuktamysheva skates really juniorishly. Mad skills, but juniorish in every way pre-IJS.

IceAlisa
10-02-2011, 11:56 PM
I appreciate her potential but the use of the arms was IMO misguided in the Tango SP.

Louise
10-03-2011, 01:19 AM

A big spoiler for whom, may I ask? It's after the event, it happened, results are posted, deal with it. Thank you.

chipso1
10-03-2011, 01:41 AM

The event has already taken place and aired on TV. This is not a spoiler.

DickButtonFan
10-03-2011, 01:44 AM
She has very good technique just not a fan of her style but it's not that juniorish to me. I'm excited to see what happens in the next few years.

oleada
10-03-2011, 02:09 AM
There's quite a few things to work on (spins, for example), but I don't find her juniorish for a 14 year old. She seems quite expressive and connects with the music and the audience well. And obviously, the technical is great. She has a lot of transitions out of the jumps, but I hope she adds more going into them.

Jenna
10-03-2011, 04:40 AM
I see great improvement over last year in presentation. Jumps are gorgeous, though the flip seems to give her the most trouble.

Her only weak point would be the spins. The positions could be improved, especially the layback.