PDA

View Full Version : A bra?!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

myhoneyhoney
09-30-2011, 03:31 AM
My 8 year old daughter just surprised me with this. She asked if she could start wearing one. I asked her why? She said her friends at school wear them and showed them to her. She said they have different colors and asked me if I could please buy her one, preferably pink or purple with sparkles on it. oye. I don't know... if I shaved her head you'd probably think she's a boy... aka, no boobies at all, lol. What do I do? She wears a size 10 in girls so I'm sure I could find some fun/cute (NOT sexy kind) ones. I honestly can't remember when I started wearing a bra. Anyone with daughters here to give me some advice, please?

eusebius
09-30-2011, 03:36 AM
I have an 8 year old too. I don't think I'm going to be buying her a bra anytime soon. She sometimes says she wishes she could wear one, but she also wants an iphone, a blackberry, high heeled shoes, and mascara, lol. I just think they grow up too fast as it is, and I don't feel the need to speed up the process. That's just my opinion about my own kid though and I would never judge other moms on this issue.

myhoneyhoney
09-30-2011, 03:39 AM
My first thought was "way too young" too, but am I being one of those moms who wants to keep her babies "babies"? Now I'm scouring online mommy boards and looks like 8/9/10 are the ages when girls start wanting to wear them these days. Maybe I can compromise with her and buy something like these at Target (http://www.target.com/p/Girls-Xhilaration-Pink-White-2-pk-Crop-Bra/-/A-13214287), more like cropped camis/sport bra style than the classic bra. I just showed these to her and she ♥ them. I guess these will be ok, not trampy at all.

eusebius
09-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Those are very cute. The pink one looks almost exactly like my daughter's bikini bathing suit. I think you're a very considerate and concerned mama :)

myhoneyhoney
09-30-2011, 03:49 AM
Thank you! Those kinds of bras seem more appropriate than the typical one for women. I saw these at Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the-Loom-Girls-Assorted-Spaghetti-Strap-Sport-Bras-3-Pack/14100586). Your basic sport bra style. These should work too, of course she'll want to decorate them with fabric glitter or something, hehehe.

AxelAnnie
09-30-2011, 03:50 AM
Um....you really don't want to do things because her friends do. That is a place you don't. Want to even visit. Help her be a child...she is.

IceAlisa
09-30-2011, 03:51 AM
These are cute. I think it's OK.

However, if you do it, I'd have a talk about doing what friends do and how it's not always a good idea, as AA has mentioned. In some cases it's fine and this is one of them IMO.

michiruwater
09-30-2011, 03:57 AM
I started at 10 but I also developed quite early.

No point in buying one until they need them, I think.

vesperholly
09-30-2011, 03:58 AM
Those Target ones are freaking adorable. The cynic in me says this is the time to get her to do something for the bras :lol: any chores you want to add? Does she get an allowance to buy these with?

I'm not a parent so grain of salt, yadda yadda.

myhoneyhoney
09-30-2011, 03:59 AM
oh yeah, we've had that talk already. She was set on having those backpacks/binders/folders with those "tween/teen" stars plastered all over them like her friends are buying but I told her no. I've seen her classmates and wow, almost all the girls have those things, oye! Anyhoo, she knows that just because others do something, it doesn't mean she should also ans she's always been fine with that. For some reason this stuck with her.

Vesperholly, she doesn't get allowance, the little chicky is flat broke, lol.

funny, she just asked me to teach her how to knit so she can make baby hats. (I knit preemie caps/booties and donate them to NICU's) Maybe I'll have her do that as "payment" for her new bras.

Southpaw
09-30-2011, 04:04 AM
I'm not a mother, but I *was* an 8 year-old girl once and wow, I sure wasn't thinking about wearing bras at 8. But then again, I was kind of a weird girl. Maybe the other girls were thinking about wearing bras.

We used to wear undershirts when I was that age, you know, those cotton tank top things. I don't see how these "bras" are really any different than a tank top. They may even be more comfy.

myhoneyhoney
09-30-2011, 04:06 AM
I originally thought of those hanes tanks/undershirts but it's still hot here so layering that under even a tshirt would be uncomfortable.

Aussie Willy
09-30-2011, 04:09 AM
When they need a bra buy them a bra. If they don't need it then is it really necessary?
Sorry but I am of the thought that kids need to be kids but also encouraged to be so until they get to the age where they need to take more responsibility and fend for themselves. Why do they need to grow up so quickly?

Bonita
09-30-2011, 04:16 AM
My first bra was a 28AAA when I was 13. I only got one because people made fun of me because I had no line under my shirt. Girls didn't develop so young in my peer group in the eighties, but most girls had "something" by then (I didn't). Until then I wore undershirts - I have been pretty cold my whole life and was trying to avoid "perky."

I was a 34A when I graduated high school. I'm now a 36C and not any fatter, just suddenly worked out a lot (the 36 inch back/muscle mass) and got rewarded (the C, family genes, LOL) later in life.

I honestly find it scary that any girl who isn't an early bloomer is thinking bras. I guess the early bloomers influence the normal/late bloomers these days.

I can't stand bras to this day and rip mine off the second I get home - but if it makes her feel less self-conscious, a sporty one is probably okay.

I feel for you. One of the reasons I never had a kid was this kind of stuff...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Southpaw
09-30-2011, 04:21 AM
I don't see how one of those Target "bras" is really any worse than a dance leotard. Or a skating dress. It's not like the girl is going to be walking around with just the bra on, it's going to be worn under clothes.

I'm in the "they grow up too fast why can't they just be kids" camp, too, but those Target "bras" just look like bathing suit tops to me.