PDA

View Full Version : A bra?!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

crystalice
09-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Tell her that nowdays a lot of fit, sexy, free women often wear cups, if the dress code is right.:P

Tinami Amori
09-30-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm not too concerned about that. She's shown me that she can handle it.

She exclaimed, "Mommy, they hurt themselves, they put holes in their ears on purpose! Why would I do that?!" :rofl: To this day she's the only one without "bling" and she hasn't not uttered a peep to change it.

Good for her and for you! :) Hope she holds the same on tattoos or anything "primitive tribal". My parents (back in Russia) used to show me expedition fotos from African, Oceanic and Latin American jungles with natives who had bones in their ears and noses and piercing and tattoos and bird feathers sticking out of various parts of their bodies.... Just looking at those fotos killed my desire for-ever to mutilate myself....:lol:

aliceanne
09-30-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't know about bras at 8, but your daughter sounds like she is a real sweetheart (wanting to knit caps for premmies), so it sounds like her friends are a good influence. Maybe as some posters have suggested she sees it as a girly thing, not a sexual thing.

vesperholly
09-30-2011, 08:27 PM
I had a discussion with my BFF (Psychologist/Social Worker) about daughters and Barbie dolls. She made a funny statement about how Barbie is such a poor role model: can't hold a job, is a clothes horse, is fickle with her boyfriend (Ken vs. GI Joe), has lots of nice things, lives in a penthouse and drives a convertible with no visible means of support, money-wise or body-wise, lol. Actually, she called Barbie a slut and a gold-digger.

:rofl: My Barbies never followed the storyline that Mattel gave them. I'm sure my parents were relieved to discover my Barbie having her own apartment (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nessachan/592738334/in/set-72157608025437755) in my bookcase and going to work (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nessachan/575705114/sizes/l/in/photostream). I switched to using Skipper after a while, because I wanted to make her clothes and I didn't know how to sew darts for Barbie's enormous boobs.

Lacey
09-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Didn't one of the major stores, I think it was Abercrombie, get in trouble last year for having padded--was it bathing suits or bras--for very young girls? Disgusting.

I think the cami look is fine, they look like cut off undershirts and there is obviously no padding of any sort, but 8 surely is young. Also, the keeping up with the Joneses thing is horrendous, girl or boy (earrings, body piercings, tattoos), now either sex want cell phones, IPods and IPads in 3rd grade. My grandkids are not getting any, although I did say that a one way phone to call Mom could be useful if grandson (9) was dropped off for soccer practice and it started to rain, but daughter won't buy that.

My one and only granddaughter is allergic to milk. She drank soy, then rice, and now almond milk as a substitute to real milk. But my DIL was adamant about the progression away from soy because she feared it would bring on early maturity, boobs and periods. She's only 6/7, so no progress there yet, thank heavens. But almond milk it is.

Anita18
09-30-2011, 10:04 PM
I started at 10 but I also developed quite early.

No point in buying one until they need them, I think.
In which case I'd be going around braless even now. :lol: But at a certain age it does start to get inappropriate...

oh yeah, we've had that talk already. She was set on having those backpacks/binders/folders with those "tween/teen" stars plastered all over them like her friends are buying but I told her no. I've seen her classmates and wow, almost all the girls have those things, oye! Anyhoo, she knows that just because others do something, it doesn't mean she should also ans she's always been fine with that. For some reason this stuck with her.

Vesperholly, she doesn't get allowance, the little chicky is flat broke, lol.

funny, she just asked me to teach her how to knit so she can make baby hats. (I knit preemie caps/booties and donate them to NICU's) Maybe I'll have her do that as "payment" for her new bras.
That's a good idea - she'll have to pay for something that she doesn't "need" right now.

And yeah, essence_of_soy has a good point - why spend money where you don't have to? Even kid's bras are kind of expensive!

myhoneyhoney
09-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Well, I stopped by Walmart today and got her a pack of these (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the-Loom-Girls-Assorted-Spaghetti-Strap-Sport-Bras-3-Pack/14100586). I know she would LOVE these Hello Kitty ones (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hello-Kitty-Girls-Training-Bra-2-Pack/17246612) but they didn't have her size. If she ends up actually wearing the camis I'll order the Hello Kitty ones for her. Knowing her, she'll want to stamp the plain one with her Hello Kitty rubber stamps, lol. I guess I'll have to find some fabric paint.

MacMadame
10-01-2011, 12:05 AM
When I was a kid, the girls started getting bras around 10-11 and I was one of the last ones to get one. Even though I was the only kid who had anything to put in one! I thought the whole thing was strange. I was in no hurry to get one and training bras? Just a way to get $$ out of people who had no breast but wish they did was my POV. (I think I was already a mini-hippy. :lol:)

Mini-Mac OTOH was begging for a bra pretty early. I did make her wait longer than she wanted but when her friends started giving her their old ones as hand-me-downs I gave in. Plus, like me, she developed early and now, at 12, she actually needs a bra and can't wear the ones from the little girls department.

I did put my foot down over the $54 one from Victoria's Secret though. I'm not paying that kind of money for something she's going to grow out of in a matter of months!

Angela-Fan
10-01-2011, 12:06 AM
I don't buy a bra from victoria's secret unless it's on sale (a good sale) or I have a coupon.

IceAlisa
10-01-2011, 12:08 AM
The Hello Kitty ones are very cute and age appropriate. This is cute too: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=16814416&findingMethod=rr

Southpaw
10-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Well, I stopped by Walmart today and got her a pack of these (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the-Loom-Girls-Assorted-Spaghetti-Strap-Sport-Bras-3-Pack/14100586). I know she would LOVE these Hello Kitty ones (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hello-Kitty-Girls-Training-Bra-2-Pack/17246612) but they didn't have her size. If she ends up actually wearing the camis I'll order the Hello Kitty ones for her. Knowing her, she'll want to stamp the plain one with her Hello Kitty rubber stamps, lol. I guess I'll have to find some fabric paint.

I don't think you'll have to worry about them corrupting your daughter's independent thinking skills. When I was 8 I wanted an Atari and a cassette player. They were all the rage. I got them. And yet, here I am at 41, and I'm perfectly capable of telling someone to go fck themselves if they try to coerce me into doing something I don't want to do. Some might even say I'm a little TOO capable. :lol:

myhoneyhoney
10-01-2011, 12:16 AM
uh... I'm 35 and still haven't purchased a bra from Victoria's Secret, lol. Target bras work fine for me.

IceAlisa, those are adorable!

sk8indel
10-01-2011, 02:33 AM
My mom actually made me buy bras before I needed them. It was terrible. She took me shopping for my first sports one at 10, and my first padded one at 12 and a half. I didn't start wearing the sports ones until 12 and padded ones at 14. (I'm 16 now and a 28A)

But since then, I've also realized that it was really really hard for me to swallow the whole concept because I've come to terms with the fact that I'm transgendered. It just felt so wrong, as a child I never saw myself growing up to be a woman, so it's been really weird for me. I now wear a binder to compress my (already small) chest so that it looks male contoured under my everyday clothing. But that's beside the point, and probably way too much information for this thread.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm totally supportive of getting her them if they make her more comfortable and she wants them. I think it's really up to the child, and I know that my mom pushing them on me before I was ready was very detrimental, even though I don't embody your typical daughter narrative.

FigureSpins
10-01-2011, 03:29 AM
Good for her and for you! :) Hope she holds the same on tattoos or anything "primitive tribal". My parents (back in Russia) used to show me expedition fotos from African, Oceanic and Latin American jungles with natives who had bones in their ears and noses and piercing and tattoos and bird feathers sticking out of various parts of their bodies.... Just looking at those fotos killed my desire for-ever to mutilate myself....:lol:
If only it worked on the trendy ones who wear the "gauge" earrings. They mutilate their earlobes with stretchers to enlarge the holes - I saw a college boy last weekend whose holes were - no lie - at least a 1/4" in diameter. It looked like he had been shot straight through the head, side-to-side. The "look" just turns my stomach and when my oldest wears them, it makes me want to cry.

aka_gerbil
10-01-2011, 03:52 PM
:rofl: My Barbies never followed the storyline that Mattel gave them. I'm sure my parents were relieved to discover my Barbie having her own apartment (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nessachan/592738334/in/set-72157608025437755) in my bookcase and going to work (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nessachan/575705114/sizes/l/in/photostream). I switched to using Skipper after a while, because I wanted to make her clothes and I didn't know how to sew darts for Barbie's enormous boobs.

If you and I had lived nearby growing up, we could have played Barbies together. My and my sister's Barbies didn't follow any Mattel storyline either. Heck, none of them was named Barbie either. Each new doll always got it's own name. Ours also went to work and had real social issues to deal with. It always drove us nuts when other girls came over or if we went to someone else's house and they wanted to play because the other girls always wanted to play either Barbie goes to the mall or Barbie goes out with Ken. We finally got smart about it and when other kids came over, we'd have Mom tell them that she didn't want all of us getting the Barbie things out and making a mess. :D