PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy cookbooks? Often or rarely?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

genevieve
09-29-2011, 01:06 AM
Yes, my Joy of Cooking isn't hardbound, either. And when it opens to the Brownies Cockaigne, that page is completely separated from the rest (and bears the marks of chocolate and butter). :lol:

I love a well-used cookbook :)

danceronice
09-29-2011, 01:14 AM
I said at least once a year (more than that), with the caveat that they are almost never new-run. Usually they're at least fifty years old or older. It needs to have a really interesting hook and a lot of readable text for me to spring for a brand-new cookbook.

Lacey
09-29-2011, 01:55 AM
I donated over 100 to the local library the last time I moved. Now have about 50. Since then, I have started watching the Food Channel almost every day, and download via the internet recipes from various television cooks. I have tried and tried not to buy more cookbooks, Borders closing helps.

Angelskates
09-29-2011, 02:09 AM
I adore cookbooks and buy them often. I like specialty ones (vegetarian, slow cooker, healthy, Middle Eastern, raw food etc.) I don't love general ones as much because so many of the recipes are meat. I have well over 50 all shelved in my kitchen and many more I left in Australia when I moved. I actually use them and love the well-loved look! I also have a recipe book holder/stand.

Japanfan
09-29-2011, 02:16 AM
I don't buy cookbooks anymore and just use on-line recipes. The two cookbooks that have remained in my library are 'Joy of Cooking' (everyone my age seems to have one given to them by their mother) and 'Recipes for a Small Planet'. I don't want want cookbooks taking up any more space on the bookshelf. Also, I find that lot of recipes are off in terms of things like amounts and cooking time, etc. A lot of the cooking I do - mostly Mediterranean dishes, barbecue, salads and roasts - I do by feel. If I want to try something new I'll consult a bunch of online recipes and sometimes combine them. www.epicurious.com is a great site although the recipes do tend to be overly complicated. But I get ideas from the recipes and reviews posted about them.

michiruwater
09-29-2011, 02:38 AM
I have a few dozen :shuffle:

I looooove cookbooks.

JAF
09-29-2011, 02:50 AM
A question for those who do not cook, does that mean you eat out or have someone cook for you? Just being nosy. :)

I do cook and have a large collection of cookbooks and books about food - histories, recollections, memories, bios and etc.

I have all the classics, a collection of older cookbooks and of course some of the trendy chefs.

My favorite cookbooks are Italian, German, US Southern, PA Dutch and Old Fashion Comfort Food.

Cherub721
09-29-2011, 02:59 AM
Never. I was always a picky eater so there was no point in it because I might like 2-3 recipes in the entire book. I'm more adventurous now but I'm a vegetarian and lately have been trying to eliminate dairy and gluten from my diet. I know there are specialty books but when I browse through tables of contents on amazon I always find too many recipes I'm not interested in (the vegan books have too many high-carb pasta dishes, the low carb ones have too much meat, the raw food ones overuse agave nectar, etc).

I prefer using the internet. When I want to try a dish I google it and print a few recipes I like, and then handwrite in my own changes and substitutes. I have a huuuuge binder with recipes divided into different categories and subcategories, tabbed up, highlighted, scribbled on... which I wouldn't want to do to a book because it would feel like a waste of money. It is more efficient and fun to find them on my own.

GarrAarghHrumph
09-29-2011, 03:00 AM
I've actually purchased maybe four in my life, all when on sale. I have maybe... six or seven of them? One is Moosewood. Another is a very old cookbook full of Eastern European recipes. A couple are crockpot/one dish recipes. One is Better Homes. One was from my grandmother's house; it's her church cookbook with some of her recipes in it.

I use them maybe once every two weeks. Several of the recipes I make regularly are my own adaptations of things from those cookbooks.

GarrAarghHrumph
09-29-2011, 03:06 AM
And now I own eight. You've inspired me to find a copy of a cookbook my old violin teacher owned, and I just bought it used off Amazon. It's the one from Brennan's Restaurant in New Orleans.

Andrushka
09-29-2011, 03:20 AM
I have bought maybe 2,usually I get them as gifts,usually because someone asked me what I want and I tell them which book I want.I've got 2 of Jamie Oliver's cookbooks and I'd like the Good Eats cook book and I wouldn't mind having a few of Gordon Ramsay's.But usually I don't even cook using recipes so it's kind of not necessary.

BittyBug
I no longer buy cookbooks and have pared my collection to a few old standards. For cooking, that for me means Julia/Beck, the Silver Palate ladies and Lidia Bastianich, and for vegetarian inspiration (shoutout to genevieve), Mollie Katzen's Enchanted Broccoli Forrest. I also read a lot of recipes online, but for cooking I rarely follow any recipe to the letter and instead use them more for guidelines. I will caveat this by saying that I am not an adventurous cook in the sense that I pretty much stick to a French and Italian palate. For anything else, I eat out.

Baking, on the other hand, is an entirely different matter since precision is obviously much more important. My go to sources are Maida Heatter, Nick Malgieri and the Silver Palate ladies (again), and I also use a lot of online sources. I also have a lot of recipes I've collected over the years from other bakers, magazines, and product inserts. As a result, I doubt I'd ever buy another baking book again.

Rex
I get them as gifts mainly. Most of my recipes I get off the internet. Don't really see the purpose in them, unless they are the coffee-table type with large pics, and even then....

Matryeshka
09-29-2011, 03:33 AM
A question for those who do not cook, does that mean you eat out or have someone cook for you? Just being nosy. :)

I'll answer that question for me. I think it depends on what you mean by "cook." To me, cooking involves chopping something and preheating and cleaning the inside of some beast. There's a protein, a vegetable, a starch. There's a plan of some sort. Measuring spoons and multiple dishes are involved.

A typical meal for me would involve boiling some pasta and throwing some jarred pesto over it. I might microwave some frozen chicken strips or open a bag-o-salad if I'm feeling fancy. There's also a lot more options in frozen foods--lots of variety, lots of options in organic. The Bertolli skillet thingies are pretty good and it feels meal-like. I am also the master of what one can do with grocery-store rotisserie chickens and crescent rolls. It's not fast food, but nor is it cooking, on my part anyway. It's sort of like the difference between a designer and a stylist. I'm a stylist.

rfisher
09-29-2011, 04:04 AM
Love cookbooks, albeit, I don't actually use most of them. I buy unique books that have food histories as well as recipes.