PDA

View Full Version : Should it be illegal to stink and not wear deodorant @ gym?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

OliviaPug
09-28-2011, 11:40 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/28/pregnant-beyonce-hates-ja_n_985361.html

"Pregnant Beyonce hates Jay-Z's smell now"

O-
(who is anti anti-bacterial ... )

IceAlisa
09-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Like I said, pregnancy can turn you into a K9 unit without the canine.

kwanfan1818
09-29-2011, 12:21 AM
You haven't smelled nothin' until you've smelled well-used hockey gear...:scream:
During one labor dispute between the American Ballet Theatre dancers and management, the dancers union was trying to get the company to agree to dry clean the costumes regularly, instead of just at the end of the season.

Getting nowhere fast with the argument, one day the union reps wheeled in a rack of the dancers' costumes into the meeting room. Management could barely hold their stomachs, and the dancers' request was in the next contract.

I use it but I'm not sure why.
One reason is that we mostly wear tight clothing, and fabric holds stale sweat smells for a long time. We're not walking around in loose clothing, wraps, or barely clothed.

Whenever someone is on their cell phone in a stall next to me I make sure to flush no less than 3 times.
:)

What you don't seem to realize is:

2) deodorant doesn't work for everyone

A Seattle friend once asked me to bring back a few deodorant sticks not available in Vancouver for his Vancouver friend who has to change deodorants every four-six months, because they stop working. It's a struggle for him to find something new that often.

MacMadame
09-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Don't know how true it is, but I've heard that eating a lot of dairy products can affect how your body odour smells.

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/What-does-your-Sweat-Taste-Like.htm

(I can't decide if it's cool or creepy that I got a link to this article in my email today.)

julieann
09-29-2011, 12:46 AM
During one labor dispute between the American Ballet Theatre dancers and management, the dancers union was trying to get the company to agree to dry clean the costumes regularly, instead of just at the end of the season.

Getting nowhere fast with the argument, one day the union reps wheeled in a rack of the dancers' costumes into the meeting room. Management could barely hold their stomachs, and the dancers' request was in the next contract.

I wish my kid's marching band had that. When my kids march in 110 degree weather; those uniforms are ripe by the end of the season.

I also know of someone who is allergic to an ingredient in deodorant. She had a heck of a time finding one that works.

Japanfan
09-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Don't know how true it is, but I've heard that eating a lot of dairy products can affect how your body odour smells.

I've heard the same about meat eaters - that vegetarians can smell them regardless of whether they use deodorant or have rank BO.

haribobo
09-29-2011, 01:36 AM
What you don't seem to realize is:

1) very few deodorants will combat the type of sweat you work up when you are working out in the gym

It's not necessary for deodorants to combat the actual sweat, but the smell. You can be very sweaty and still smell fine. And there's a huge difference between a little sweaty workout smell which a lot of people have and it bothers me not at all, vs. day old reeking nastiness that is so overpowering that people don't want to go near them, which is much fewer and far between, but when you encounter it, its frightening. And its my opinion that it can be controlled, I don't care what anyone says. Sorry if I wasn't specific enough in my original post.

And I don't think its that my culture smells great and other cultures as a whole don't. It's that the members of any culture who like to walk around and work out "au natural" are offensive.

I certainly don't smell like roses every second of every day. But I at least do a damned good job of staying neutral. If god forbid I was rushing out of the house and forgot to apply it or put a stick in my bag (which basically never happens- I have deodorant living in my backpack!), you can bet I'll be out to CVS on my lunch break and until then, taking routine trips to the bathroom to clean and dry. You do what you gotta do to be presentable!

PrincessLeppard
09-29-2011, 01:46 AM
I've heard the same about meat eaters - that vegetarians can smell them regardless of whether they use deodorant or have rank BO.

This is my ninth year as a vegetarian, and I don't think meat eaters smell any different.

FigureSpins
09-29-2011, 02:32 AM
It always creeps me out whenever I notice someone walking out of the bathroom stall, adjust his clothings and hair in the mirror and then walk right out the bathroom door. Ugh.

Rocky Allen, a DJ for WPLJ in NYC, used to hold call-in contests involving people's actions in the public restrooms at places like Grand Central and Penn Station.

It went like this:

A staffer would hang out in a stall within the restroom with either a cell phone or a hidden microphone.

Two listeners are on the phone with the studio, waiting to play the contest. A little chit-chat while they wait for a pidgeon to walk into the restroom.

When someone walked into the bathroom, the staffer would quietly describe him/her. (Ex: Corporate desk jockey, shiny shoes, briefcase, glasses and a crew cut)

Rocky would ask the players to guess whether the pidgeon would WASH or NOT WASH after using the facilities. The staffer would narrate various things like "Looks in the mirror, glances at the paper and .... okay, he's going for the STALL... ooooo.... He's got shiny shoes and he's wearing aftershave at 6pm."

The staffer would stay and watch, reporting the results afterwards. Sometimes, his or her reaction would be the funniest part of the bit.
(EWWWW! He not only didn't wash, he picked his nose before he left!)

The correct guess would win a prize like tickets to a concert or show.

nubka
09-29-2011, 02:38 AM
There's nothing worse than talking to a person who has offensive breath or body odor. I can't imagine it in a hot, sweaty locker room environment. :yikes:

Bad breath/dirty teeth are the absolute worst for me. I'll take body odor over rancid, crypt breath any day. :yikes: :yikes:

Yes, yes, I know, some people can't help it... :(

Andrushka
09-29-2011, 03:23 AM
No,it's not cool,but if it were illegal to not wear D.O. it should also be illegal to wear spandex or lycra when you clearly don't have the figure for it.

Civic
09-29-2011, 04:48 AM
Because its really not necessary, everyone knows what I'm talking about and its not the whole race, but a definite chunk. And I am not even saying they are the only ones, far from it. But a higher percentage, yes...
:confused: I don't. Though, judging from the context, you're using the word "race" when you probably mean "ethnicity" or "nationality".

nubka
09-29-2011, 05:25 AM
No,it's not cool,but if it were illegal to not wear D.O. it should also be illegal to wear spandex or lycra when you clearly don't have the figure for it.

But that's only hard on the eyes... :lol:

Angelskates
09-29-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm with lanierb and Aimless on this one. And I don't think Aimless was advocating for people never ever showering :rolleyes:

Yes, being next to a sweaty stinky person at the gym can be annoying, especially if your workout involves using a piece of equipment for a set amount of time and so does theirs so you're just stuck there together....but IT'S A GYM. People are supposed to get sweaty.

ITA.

gingercrush
09-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Wow. I'm actually astounded by this thread. Its one of the most disgusting things I've ever read here and I actually can't believe someone is getting away with being a racist prat.