PDA

View Full Version : Ken Burns New Doc Special- Prohibition Starts on 10/2

Pages : [1] 2

topaz
09-27-2011, 04:18 AM
Ken Burn's new documentary special on the Prohibition Era starts on PBS on 10/2 at 8pm EST.

Those who have an ipad or iphone can download an app to catch the early premiere episode of the series.

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition/

Some of the voices used in the documentary are Tom Hanks, Jeremy Irons, Campbell Scott, Patricia Clarkson, and Peter Coyote.

Cachoo
09-27-2011, 05:56 AM
I'll be watching: I want to see the mindset of those who believed this restrictive amendment could possibly work. WHAT were they thinking? And I like Ken Burns docs.

Prancer
09-27-2011, 06:48 AM
I don't know what Ken Burns will say they were thinking, but I was always told that the original intent of the ladies who led the fight for Prohibition was to combat domestic violence and child neglect. Others thought it would reduce crime and disease.

Cachoo
09-27-2011, 10:49 AM
That I understand but did they really think they could enforce it....something like our unrealistic expectations with the "war on drugs." On a personal note my great grandfather immigrated from Poland and I recently was told about a car that he had custom made because he was such a large man for that time. I didn't know until I started asking about the expense involved that his bootlegging money paid for it. In fact I didn't know he was involved in bootlegging at all. He immigrated to New Jersey with nada so I guess he was living his version of the American dream. But even without the personal stuff I want to see anything Ken Burns has to offer. I've enjoyed all of his work but the Donner Party doc which was well done but horrifying.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-27-2011, 03:43 PM
I don't know what Ken Burns will say they were thinking, but I was always told that the original intent of the ladies who led the fight for Prohibition was to combat domestic violence and child neglect. Others thought it would reduce crime and disease.

Right, wasn't this all part of the progressive era where people sought to purify government and this country? It's always been my understanding that a part of the reason why Prohibition was passed because it targeted many immigrant groups from southern and eastern European that were concentrated in urban areas. Many of these groups would frequent saloons and bars and would essentially drink and be merry much to the horror of WASPs whose sensibilities were simply appalled by such behavior and possibly threatened by the influxes of these new groups.

I'll definitely be watching it as I'm sure the special will delve into the creation and expansion of organized crime due to Prohibition.

I wonder if Ken Burns will talk about Joe Kennedy as there was talk that a lot of the Kennedy money came from bootlegging.

Latte
09-30-2011, 02:53 AM
I can't wait. This was one of the most interesting era's of the country, certainly of the 20th century. I will be planted in front of my tv.

Latte
10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Am I the only one watching?
Pretty good so far, very informative.
Not as interesting as I thought it would be though.

milanessa
10-04-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm mostly watching - missed the first 45 minutes of each (only 2 have been shown, right?). I'm finding it very interesting. Not entertaining but interesting.

znachki
10-04-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm really enjoying it. But then, I am a history geek in general. I've read the book that the show is largely based on - Daniel Okrent's "Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition".

I think it is a fascinating subject. It's another one of those periods that people just dismiss with - oh yeah, no alcohol. But so much more. Everything that came before, and all of the fallout that still has an effect today.

This is the kind of show that can spark an interest in history for someone who has never been interested, or has never really thought about it before. The kind of show that makes you start to see all of the connections out there.

topaz
10-04-2011, 07:22 PM
I have enjoyed the series so far. Tonight is the conclusion.

I love hearing the stories from bootleggers families. I did not know about the Washingtonian society. The communities were like a 19th century AA commune.

skatingfan5
10-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Am I the only one watching?
Pretty good so far, very informative.
Not as interesting as I thought it would be though.I've found it very interesting ... especially all of the 19th century anti-alcohol movements that preceded it (of which I previously was only dimly aware -- Carrie Nation, the WCTU -- that was about it). Rather chagrined to have to admit that. :shuffle:

Unfortunately, reception for my local PBS affiliate is often very poor (non-existent :mad:), so while I saw the entire first episode on Sunday, I couldn't watch part 2 when it was first broadcast last night. I attempted to view the midnight repeat showing, but fell asleep sometime approaching 1:00 a.m. :(

danceronice
10-04-2011, 08:10 PM
I found it quite interesting how the WCTU and the Anti-Saloon league were shrewd enough to align tightly with the revolutionary Progressive types (the radical birth control/eugenics sorts, hardcore workers' rights, etc) to get it all through as a mass social anti-Catholic, anti-immigrant vote (the "unAmerican" Eastern Europeans and their good old bogeymen the Catholics were targets for the birth control crowd--don't want those undesirables breeding.) And went for the trifecta with "black men drinking AND voting, eek!"

I also love how the only two Protestant sects not on board were the Episcopalians and the Lutherans.

MacMadame
10-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I also love how the only two Protestant sects not on board were the Episcopalians and the Lutherans.

That fascinated me. The documentary said that the Lutherans weren't on board because they were largely German just like the beer brewers but why weren't the Episcopalians?

I know people who think that Episcopalians and Catholics are basically the same religion. So my only thought is that the Episcopalians might have thought going after Catholics to be hitting a bit too close to home. OTOH, it would have given them an ample opportunity to distance themselves from the Catholics if they had joined in.

skatingfan5
10-05-2011, 06:43 PM
That fascinated me. The documentary said that the Lutherans weren't on board because they were largely German just like the beer brewers but why weren't the Episcopalians?

I know people who think that Episcopalians and Catholics are basically the same religion. So my only thought is that the Episcopalians might have thought going after Catholics to be hitting a bit too close to home. OTOH, it would have given them an ample opportunity to distance themselves from the Catholics if they had joined in.I think it's more likely because they use sacramental wine in their services, as do Catholics.

MacMadame
10-05-2011, 10:01 PM
I think it's more likely because they use sacramental wine in their services, as do Catholics.

:duh: