PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Fave US female gymnast who never went to the Olympics

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Karpenko
09-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Oh yeah thats right, didn't Kristen Maloney make that final too? Man what bad luck. Between her, Dantzscher, and Vanessa we had 3 legitimate medal maybe gold threats, yet none of these 3 even competed in any big final for one reason or another. I really wish there had been a 98 Worlds!

Rob
09-29-2011, 04:31 PM
I know, in 1998 Moceanu was in fine form, Atler wasn't a head case.

mkats
09-29-2011, 07:51 PM
I voted for Hollie - she wasn't the best gymnast out of this poll, but I really loved her work on bars and I felt so bad for her when the 2004 team was announced live.

Second vote would probably have been for Shayla in terms of her gymnastics, but can't say I was anywhere near a fan of her personality.

Scintillation
10-01-2011, 01:43 AM
I voted for Hollie - she wasn't the best gymnast out of this poll, but I really loved her work on bars and I felt so bad for her when the 2004 team was announced live.

Second vote would probably have been for Shayla in terms of her gymnastics, but can't say I was anywhere near a fan of her personality.

ITA on Shayla. And I'm glad they quit announcing the Olympic team on camera after 2004--that was cruel and humiliating.

In terms of talent I guess I would pick Vanessa Atler. I love watching her vault and tumble. For some reason I decided to watch her segments on Starting Over one day, and all I wanted to do was shake her. She was so hung up on not making the Olympics, yet she acted like she never wanted to go, oh and her boyfriend looked like a total dbag..just ugh. What a headcase.

bardtoob
10-03-2011, 12:59 AM
And here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBAZuDgyurE

And here is what she did at the 1980 USGF invitational (alternate event to the boycotted Olympics):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMIBF7Hcixw

There was a deduction for the extra swing in the 1980 alternative event, but the "Ray" named after Elise Ray 20 YEARS LATER would have been the "Frederick" had it been performed at the Olympics. And I will point out that Marcia's toe-on reverse Hecht was more difficult because the bars were closer together. This was the kind of skill one would expect from a Russian, Romanian, or East German, not an American.