PDA

View Full Version : Regionals - question about seeding

Jozet
09-26-2011, 03:27 AM
(Wasn't sure where to post this question.)

Groups for Regionals are being posted and it seems pretty obvious that high scoring skaters are being distributed among groups (in levels that have groups).

Could anyone tell me where the scores are drawn from for the placement of skaters so that all top scorers aren't in one group (i.e. seem more likely to make it to final rounds?)

IOW, how are groups determined for Regionals?

Thanks for any info!

Sylvia
09-26-2011, 03:41 AM
See Rules 2460 and following "Qualifying Rounds and Seeding – Regional Championships" in the USFS Rulebook online: http://www.usfsa.org/Content/201112Rulebook.pdf (starting on page 158)

2463 Competitors in juvenile events shall not be seeded. Competitors in senior, junior, novice and intermediate qualifying rounds shall be seeded from the previous year’s qualifying competition final placements for the comparable event. Qualifying round results will not be used. ...

(BTW, I'm planning to start a general info/discussion thread for all 9 US Regionals in the Kiss and Cry forum soon. For dates/locations/general info: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/regionals/)

acraven
09-26-2011, 03:48 AM
According to the 2010-2011 USFS Rulebook (but I don't think it has changed this year), groups at the senior, junior, novice, and intermediate levels are seeded based on placements (not scores) at the previous year's Nationals and qualifying competitions. Skaters are assigned to groups in a zig-zag pattern (e.g., A-B-C-D-D-C-B-A-A-B-C-D etc.) in this order:

- By Nationals or Jr. Nationals placement at the same level.
- By Sectionals placement at the same level (for skaters who didn't compete at Nationals).
- By Regional final round placement at the same level (for those who didn't compete at Sectionals); qualifying-round placements are not used.
- By Nationals or Jr. Nationals placement at the next lower level.
- By Sectionals placement at the next lower level.
- By Regional final round placement at the next lower level.
- Randomly for remaining skaters who competed at the same level the previous year (but didn't compete in the final round at Regionals).
- Randomly for all others; this includes those who competed at the next lower level but didn't skate in the final round at Regionals and those who moved up more than one level.

Jozet
09-26-2011, 04:23 AM
Whoops! Okay, I had no idea that Juvenile level wasn't seeded. I must be looking too hard for something that isn't there.

Jenna
09-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Speaking of Regionals, I find it very interesting that Marissa Castelli has entered the qualifying season as a singles skater, as well as a pairs skater.

Also, Madison Olivieri and Courtney Taylor are on the Junior Ladies roster for New Englands, even though they both have competed in North Atlantics for years..

Sylvia
09-27-2011, 10:38 PM
(BTW, I'm planning to start a general info/discussion thread for all 9 US Regionals in the Kiss and Cry forum soon. For dates/locations/general info: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/regionals/)
Here's the link to the thread I've created in Kiss and Cry for US Regionals discussion (I've included all the currently known byes through Regionals): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80356

Speaking of Regionals, I find it very interesting that Marissa Castelli has entered the qualifying season as a singles skater, as well as a pairs skater.
Castelli is competing pairs at Ondrej Nepela Memorial this week and reportedly does not have a Senior Ladies bye through New Englands, which means she would return from Slovakia (the pairs competition ends on Saturday) and then compete Monday/Tuesday if she wants to advance to Sectionals in singles.

Also, Madison Olivieri and Courtney Taylor are on the Junior Ladies roster for New Englands, even though they both have competed in North Atlantics for years..
Every year there are skaters (ETA: Novice-Senior) who switch regions or sections in order to try and position themselves for a better shot at qualifying for Sectionals and/or Nationals. It's not against the current rules and as long as there are clubs willing to accept these skaters' membership $$$ -- whether or not there is a legitimate connection to the club or area -- it will continue to happen.

Jozet
09-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Every year there are skaters who switch regions or sections in order to try and position themselves for a better shot at qualifying for Sectionals and/or Nationals. It's not against the current rules and as long as there are clubs willing to accept these skaters' membership $$$ -- whether or not there is a legitimate connection to the club or area -- it will continue to happen.

I was wondering about this. When I filled in the application for my daughter for Regionals, I *thought* it asked something like "which rink do you skate at for 6 months out of the year"...I'll try to get into the system again to look at the registration form and the exact wording.

I mean, coming from the South Atlantic region - which seems huge! mumblemumblemumble - I can understand the temptation join a club in Oregon, let's say. But doesn't anyone check up on these things? Seems like dirty pool, but if it's playing by the rules, then it is what it is, I suppose.

Even at Juvenile level, I've seen some names bounce around between regions from last Regionals to this one.

Sylvia
09-27-2011, 11:37 PM
I actually just edited my post above to add "Novice-Senior" because a modified rule was introduced within the past several years in an attempt to limit so-called "region-hopping" for Intermediate/Juvenile skaters -- see my bolded part below:

2410 Determining a skater’s/team’s competitive region
A. Intermediate and juvenile singles skaters must compete in the region
where legal residence is established or where the principal training
center is located as indicated during the online registration process (see
definitions below).
B. Singles skaters, novice and above, must compete at the regional
championship held in the region in which their home club is located.
C. All pair and dance couples bypass the regional championships and go
directly to the sectional championships. Teams with different home clubs
may choose to compete in the sectional championships of either partner’s
home club.
1. Skaters entering a singles event in addition to a partnered event must
enter a regional championship within the section they have chosen for
the partnered event.

2411 Definitions
A. Under Colorado law, legal residence is defined as the principal or primary
home or place of abode of a person. A principal or primary home or place
of abode is that home or place in which a person’s habitation is fixed
and to which that person, whenever absent, has the present intention of
returning after a departure or absence, regardless of the duration of the
absence. A residence is a permanent building or part of a building and
may include a house, condo, apartment, room in a house or mobile home.
1. The following circumstances may be taken into consideration in
determining the principal or primary place of abode of a person:
a. Current driver’s license
b. Employment and business pursuits
c. Residence for income or other tax purposes
d. Motor vehicle registration
e. Ownership of personal and real property
f. Other public records evidencing place of abode
B. Principal training center is defined as where full-time training takes place
for six months and one day or greater in the one year period preceding the
close of entry date of the affected competition.

Jozet
09-27-2011, 11:41 PM
I actually just edited my post above to add "Novice-Senior" because a modified rule was introduced within the past several years in an attempt to limit so-called "region-hopping" for Intermediate/Juvenile skaters -- see my bolded part below:

Ah! I see now. I just thought I was going crazy for a second.

Jenna
09-28-2011, 02:59 AM
It makes sense to me. With the addition of Katia Shpilband and Katie McBeath (both who have top ten scores), in addition to Nicole Rajic and Jordan Bauth it was probably a good decision for those two to move to an easier region!

Jozet
09-28-2011, 05:19 AM
It makes sense to me. With the addition of Katia Shpilband and Katie McBeath (both who have top ten scores), in addition to Nicole Rajic and Jordan Bauth it was probably a good decision for those two to move to an easier region!

Thinking about it, it actually does make sense. I suppose it only seems unfair if you're n a "deep" Region and can't make a switch. Bear with me and my newbie questions/observations. I'm seeing everything from the perspective of Juvenile level and just getting a clue that this a long haul, not a sprint. :)