PDA

View Full Version : Disabled boy took his own life after he was mugged and bullied

Pages : [1] 2 3

algonquin
09-26-2011, 02:41 AM
Disabled Pickering boy took his own life after he was mugged and bullied (http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1059479--disabled-pickering-boy-took-his-own-life-after-he-was-mugged-and-bullied?bn=1)

And last November, while on one of his prescribed daily walks, Mitchell was jumped by a 12-year-old boy he knew from his elementary school in Pickering. The older child, who was after the iPhone Mitchell borrowed from his father to listen to music while he walked, smashed Mitchell’s face into the pavement so hard he broke some of the boy’s teeth.

The attack, Mitchell’s parents say, led their son on a downward spiral which culminated in his suicide earlier this month.

Beyond tragic, these kinds of stories make me so nervous about sending my son to school. (He is only 4.5 now.) He has motor and oral appraxia and has an awkward gate and speech problems. Just the kind of kid that gets bullied. He is very handsome and it is horrible to say, but that might help him at school.

Anytips to help kids?

skateboy
09-26-2011, 02:49 AM
This story just broke my heart. That little boy looks so sweet in the picture, I'll bet he was. Children, in an attempt to feel powerful, can be truly awful to one another.

Algonquin, I understand your concerns for your son. Would private school or home schooling be an option, at least for awhile? Just a suggestion.

algonquin
09-26-2011, 02:52 AM
This story just broke my heart. That little boy looks so sweet in the picture, I'll bet he was. Children, in an attempt to feel powerful, can be truly awful to one another.

Algonquin, I understand your concerns for your son. Would private school or home schooling be an option, at least for awhile? Just a suggestion.I have thought about home schooling, but he is an only child and needs the social contact. Private might be a consideration if he does get bullied.

Lacey
09-26-2011, 03:02 AM
Tragic.

Satellitegirl
09-26-2011, 04:48 AM
I think the biggest thing parents can do, is let their kids know they're there for them if something happens like that, but let them know that it's safe to tell them, and unless they're in danger of being hurt, you're leaving it up to them(the kid) as far as what action is taken. I wonder if sometimes kids keep it to themselves because they're afraid their parent will go way overboard and make it worse for them, rather than help. Plenty of these kids have loving parents...I wish there was some definitive way of making sure this stuff doesn't happen.

agalisgv
09-26-2011, 05:28 AM
Delete

PrincessLeppard
09-26-2011, 06:32 AM
I have thought about home schooling, but he is an only child and needs the social contact. Private might be a consideration if he does get bullied.

Bullying is not done exclusively at public schools.

genevieve
09-26-2011, 06:44 AM
Bullying is not done exclusively at public schools.
I attended a private school and would echo was PL said.

Civic
09-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Teachers and school administrators really need to take bullying seriously. Just one bully can make a kid's life hell. Having to contend with more than one is something no child should have to tackle on his/her own. Among other things, adults shouldn't rely upon children to tell them when someone is harassing or hurting them. They should be more proactive in picking up on their child's non-verbal cues that something is wrong. JMHO.

Angelskates
09-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Teachers and school administrators really need to take bullying seriously.

Everyone needs to take bullying seriously, teachers, schools admin, parents, students - everyone. Bullying doesn't happen exclusively at schools, it also happens at extra-curricular activities, ice rinks, buses, trains, in the workplace, pretty much everywhere there is more than one person.

Also, anyone can be bullied, not just kids.

orbitz
09-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Everyone needs to take bullying seriously, teachers, schools admin, parents, students - everyone. Bullying doesn't happen exclusively at schools, it also happens at extra-curricular activities, ice rinks, buses, trains, in the workplace, pretty much everywhere there is more than one person.

Also, anyone can be bullied, not just kids.

ITA. It's also people posting on the internet that can be bullies.

FigureSpins
09-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Teachers and school administrators really need to take bullying seriously. Just one bully can make a kid's life hell. Having to contend with more than one is something no child should have to tackle on his/her own. Among other things, adults shouldn't rely upon children to tell them when someone is harassing or hurting them. They should be more proactive in picking up on their child's non-verbal cues that something is wrong. JMHO.
The article says the school DID take effective action immediately.

"The principal removed the accused mugger as soon as he was charged, and paired Mitchell up with an older student mentor to protect him.

On Labour Day, hours before Mitchell killed himself, he was served with a subpoena to testify against his alleged assailant on Sept. 28. Mitchell was terrified of having to face the other boy in court, his father says."

The case will likely be dropped because the victim isn't going to testify. The father went on to say that others can always do more to protect disabled kids. I think that video testimony would be better for underage minors than facing the accused in court and recanting what happened.

They're calling the mugging a pivotal moment in the boy's life that contributed to his physical and mental decline, despite counseling and intervention. Add to it the fact that the boy's devoted mother died three years ago and the father has remarried. He had to be so confused and depressed - the poor child.

I wonder if moving away entirely to a new setting would have changed the course of his life, if the family could make that change?

I hope this doesn't turn out to be anything more, like a Zahra Baker story.

skatesindreams
09-26-2011, 04:55 PM
I ache when I read stories like this.
Bullying has such far-reaching consequences, even with appropriate intervention from schools and parents.

Beefcake
09-26-2011, 04:56 PM
:wuzrobbed So tragic.

I commend the boy's parents, who are saying and doing the right things ... acknowledging that the bullying was one of several factors contributing to Mitchell's trauma and eventual suicide, etc. ... even in the midst of their grief. Strong people.

personwhoishere
09-26-2011, 05:46 PM
This makes me so sad. 11 should be such a carefree age in a child's life. Having to suffer through so much at such a young age is difficult to imagine. I hope the boy that mugged him realizes the impact his actions have and can learn how to treat people better.