PDA

View Full Version : Disabled boy took his own life after he was mugged and bullied

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Cheylana
09-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Just pointing out the obvious, that it's not always feasible to switch a kid's school. Especially if you're in a small town where there's only one public school, and you don't have the funds to pay for private school or a public school in another town (my parents had to shell out $6,000/year for my sister to attend the public high school in the adjoining town). But if parents can move a bullied kid, then I agree it should be explored.

MacMadame
09-27-2011, 11:16 PM
IMHO he was an easier target because of his disability for the attack to get to the Iphone. So I firmly believe his disability was used against him by the initial attack. Also, at that age kids know who the easier targets are and I seriously doubt this attacker out of the blue decided to attack him for the IPhone.

But from what was said in the linked article, you could also believe that this kid was treated as a normal kid who had an iPhone the other kid wanted and the mugger didn't see him as disabled at all.

Both interpretations are supposed by the limited facts we were given. Therefore, I think you are projecting your own anxieties onto the situation.

Twilight1
09-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Perhaps...esp given I have one son who is special needs and another that is 11 years old. This hits home esp hard. It is so so sad.

But like you said, the article doesn't give any clarification on what had transpired for this poor kid prior to the attack.

aliceanne
09-28-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't have anything new to add on the bullying topic, but one thing that struck me about the article is that there is so little they can do for patients with muscular dystrophy. I remember doing fund raisers at school for research 50 years ago, and yet not much has changed. I think if this boy had had some sort of future to look forward to he might have withstood the bullying.