Pages : [1] 2

smarts1
09-24-2011, 06:51 PM
How is this even possible? :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK_NmZyyo9w&feature=related

This is so unfair.

BigB08822
09-24-2011, 07:02 PM
I used to jump off ice all the time. I learned on the trampoline and moved to the ground. I had videos a long time ago and some people here probably saw them at some point. I could do up to a cheated 4toe on the ground and sometimes, when I put in a lot of practice, I had a solid 3axel. I jumped all the triples but the take offs were just ugly, you can't really toe pick without a toe pick, haha, so I usually took off flat footed and often from two feet. It was fun but the axel was always hard for me as I tended to whip around like Lipinski.

gotice
09-24-2011, 07:17 PM
WOW, Ilia 3 axel on the floor amazing! His quad toe was pretty darn nice in his Olympic FS '98 too. Nice find Smarts1 thanks for the share.

julieann
09-25-2011, 01:40 AM
Aren't all jumps learned off ice first?

aemeraldrainc
09-25-2011, 04:01 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.
But even Scott Hamilton said he had never seen anyone do a triple axel on the floor before...

Vash01
09-25-2011, 04:03 AM
I remember seeing Kulik's off ice triple axel during one of the competitions long ago. I did not know Sandhu did it also. It takes great athleticism to do that.

gkelly
09-25-2011, 04:12 AM

Depends on the coach's teaching philosophy. In my experience, usually not, but I have seen it. I remember a novice girl at my rink in the 1970s jumping double axels off ice.

julieann
09-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought, too.
But even Scott Hamilton said he had never seen anyone do a triple axel on the floor before...

I wonder if he meant live or just the triple axel. I remember reading someone who volunteered at a competitions who was surprised the skaters where doing their entire program in the hallway.

triple_toe
09-25-2011, 07:24 AM
It's fairly common. If you have the ability to do a triple axel on the ice you should have the ability to do one off the ice. It depends on where you're from though, because some coaches never focus on jumping off ice but for some it's seen as a vital part of training. Russian coaches in particular stress off ice jumping.

aemeraldrainc
09-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Found some old video of Adrian S.(and others) doing off ice jumps.
I figure this was some kind of Swedish training camp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVIpQUe_B24&feature=youtube_gdata_player

smarts1
09-25-2011, 01:31 PM
It's fairly common. If you have the ability to do a triple axel on the ice you should have the ability to do one off the ice. It depends on where you're from though, because some coaches never focus on jumping off ice but for some it's seen as a vital part of training. Russian coaches in particular stress off ice jumping.

I don't think that's entirely true. I saw Plushenko "only" do three revolutions on a triple axel attempt off ice. It is much harder to jump off ice, since you are at a standstill.

Holley Calmes
09-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Don't see a whole lot of triple tours in ballet by male dancers-mostly doubles, but they do point their feet, hold their bodies/shoulders erect, and have arms in the correct various positions. Seriously, either athlete is fabulous in my book. I know Emanuel was a ballet dancer-you can tell. Wonder how much ballet Kulik had? I always assumed the Russian skaters had tons of ballet, but how true is this? The pairs skaters look like they have more ballet to me, but what do I know?

briancoogaert
09-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Not from my experience. I remember learning to rotate off ice (to use legs, body position, close your arms, control landings...) in both direction. But jumping technique is very different on the ice and use speed and edges.

Those 3Axels off ice are just unbelievable !

Edgeofglory
09-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Elizaveta Tuktamisheva's 3A off-ice. Wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyoF0N4vLMs&list=FL2GIAxAmDKL89VRst3IGGsA&index=23

triple_toe
09-25-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't think that's entirely true. I saw Plushenko "only" do three revolutions on a triple axel attempt off ice. It is much harder to jump off ice, since you are at a standstill.

I haven't seen him jump off ice, but I would bet that he does have the ability to do a triple axel off the ice, even if he was having trouble with it when you saw him. Mishin is big on off ice jumps, so I would be surprised if Plushenko can't do it- especially since he's one of the best jumpers ever! And yes, I do understand that jumping off the ice is a little harder since you need more strength to do it, but once you have the ability to jump a triple axel *on* the ice you shouldn't have much trouble figuring out how to do one *off* the ice. Plus you don't have to account for speed going in and out, slipperiness of the ice, edges, etc, all of which make the jump riskier and harder to control.

I find it kind of amusing that people are so shocked by triple axels off the ice when that same jump on the ice is so common :lol: Hell, I could do a triple axel off ice I was nowhere near one on the ice. Off ice jumping is much more forgiving. And less scary :shuffle: