PDA

View Full Version : Which Car Shall I Buy?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Sarah
09-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Was going to add yet another Corolla vote, but the Civic should serve you well. :) Congrats!!!

Between the Civic and the Corolla, I doubt you could have gone wrong. Congrats and enjoy your car!

FigureSpins
09-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Congrats - enjoy your new car!

We went to look at a used Toyota this weekend for our oldest DD. It was being sold for $500 by DH's co-worker and his wife. The couple want to sell it before the end of the month, when the insurance/inspection/etc. is due. We decided against buying it because it didn't have a/c and our DD goes to school where the thermometer is over 90F regularly from May - Sep. DD is a/c dependant, like all of DH's family.

I was surprised that they thought anyone would buy it outright. The car was filthy, inside and out. The odometer was stuck at 7000 miles, so they had no idea how many miles were really on it or why the odometer gave out at a such an odd number. The thing that *really* gave me the willies was the amount of old, rotted leaf debris throughout the car. They were packed in and rotted at the hood, inside the engine and trunk, even underneath the floorboard in the wheel well of the trunk.

I felt like the car might have been sitting outside, open to the elements for months. I still can't understand why they didn't just use a vaccuum or leaf blower to clean the car before we saw it! Very strange and it just didn't sit right with me. I'm glad the a/c excuse was available.

Aceon6
09-26-2011, 01:49 PM
From your list, the two lowest cost to drive are likely the Civic EX and the Ford Focus. Both take regular and can be serviced almost anywhere. I'd rule out the Mini and the Fiat strictly on ease and cost of repair. Diesel prices are high and going higher which would rule out the VWs for me.

I'm another Subaru person. They're extremely reliable. The base Legacy is about $20k and you can get a fully tricked out one for about $25k.

modern_muslimah
09-26-2011, 05:00 PM
My first new car after I got my first job was a Ford Taurus. It ran great for about 3 years. Then it started having major problems, costing me major $. I told the dealer that I would never buy a Ford again. His response: Many people have told us that.

My experience as well.

My mother says that Ford stands for "Fix or repair daily". She had a Ford Tempo when I was a child and absolutely hated it. It had to be repaired a lot. It was probably a lemon but the experience turned her off from Ford and American cars in general forever.

Today, I purchased a used 2008 Honda Civic EX. For a very good price v. book value. I am pleased. It's a four door, which is new for me - I've only ever driven two door cars. It's also my first ever used car.

I'm happy to have gotten this car - my husband told me that while I was in talking price, customers were swarming around the thing at the dealership. It's in very nice shape.

Congrats! I don't think you can go wrong with a Honda.

Rex
09-26-2011, 05:19 PM
My mother says that Ford stands for "Fix or repair daily". She had a Ford Tempo when I was a child and absolutely hated it. It had to be repaired a lot. It was probably a lemon but the experience turned her off from Ford and American cars in general forever.

They were cute cars, but Consumer Reports graded them "Worse Than Average" in terms of reliability and repair year after year. I think they got graded that way during their entire run. Only recently has Ford made a really good small car in the Focus.

One of my schoolteachers had a Ford Maverick that seemed to run forever. Even after I left middle school to go to high school, she had that car...