PDA

View Full Version : Which Car Shall I Buy?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

my little pony
09-24-2011, 11:10 PM
I have a 2006 Prius which I plan to keep for many more years. I find the backup camera to be really helpful for backing up and parking.

when I first got mine, I was so mesmerized by the camera that I parked worse not better, I couldnt take my eyes off of it

GarrAarghHrumph
09-25-2011, 02:34 AM
I'm driving a 2006 Honda Civic EX coupe. It's my third Honda. My previous 2006 was rear-ended and totaled. I was not hurt but the amazing thing about the crash was the way the car responded after I was struck. I replaced it was the used 2006 I am now driving. My first Civic was a 1993 hatchback that I retired after 12 years with 320,000 miles on the odometer.

What I love best about my Civic is the engineering. It handles very well. It has speed when I need speed, but best of all, I have never lost control of a Civic. With front wheel drive I negotiate snow and ice on the roads with no problem. The manual transmission certainly helps. I drive between 90-100 miles a day, round trip and net 38 MPG. If I drive the speed limit I can achieve better than 40 MPG. Reliable? You'd better believe it!

I love the way the car looks and behaves and would buy another just like it on a minute.

The way things are working out, it may be that I'll do almost exactly what you did - replace my (purchased new, but totalled via rear-end collision) 2003 Civic EX with another, slightly newer but used Civic EX - maybe a 2008.

Since I've posted this thread, I've decided that, due to the economy and all the uncertainty out there, I may not want to take on a "new car" sized car payment. Instead, I may want to buy a used car. A used version of what I've been driving for years.

This isn't the fun choice. It's not what I'd do if I had tons of money (that'd be a new Golf TDI.) But it's realistic and practical. I'm still deciding, though, and I welcome people's input.

Prancer
09-25-2011, 03:12 AM
I've never owned a brand-new car and probably never will. I always try to buy slightly used and certified, which means someone else pays most of the depreciation, but I still get warranties. I just cannot see saddling myself with that car payment.

I would also never buy a Volkswagon :shuffle:.

Really
09-25-2011, 04:06 AM
Garr...we have a 2007 Civic coupe 5-speed that's been awesome. I'm driving a 6-speed 2009 Accord now, and hubby drives the Civic. Great mileage, does okay in the winter, even up here, although I think it's his turn to get winter tires, since I've had mine for a couple years now.

Given the reviews I've read about the 2012s, I'm not sure I'd be buying a new one, but if I won one (local shopping centre is giving one away in October), I wouldn't turn it down!

Allskate
09-25-2011, 06:35 AM
The way things are working out, it may be that I'll do almost exactly what you did - replace my (purchased new, but totalled via rear-end collision) 2003 Civic EX with another, slightly newer but used Civic EX - maybe a 2008.

That is probably what I'd do if I were in your position. My Civics have been so reliable and efficient. But, given the state of the economy, etc,. and the reviews of the new Civic, I'd probably buy a used Civic that isn't very old and has low mileage.

My friend who always has driven a Civic just bought a Fit and she really likes it.

If you're driving a lot, you may want to figure out how much you would save on gas by buying a used Prius.

Gazpacho
09-25-2011, 07:13 AM

Since I've posted this thread, I've decided that, due to the economy and all the uncertainty out there, I may not want to take on a "new car" sized car payment. Instead, I may want to buy a used car. A used version of what I've been driving for years.

These days, many used cars aren't great deals compared to new cars. Hondas in particular have a very slow depreciation rate.

The Kelley Blue Book value for a 2008 Civic EX in excellent condition, with default options other than automatic transmission (I assumed you were getting automatic since the 2012 Civic EX only comes in automatic), is $17,280 from a dealer, $15,430 for a private seller. Certified used is $17,680.

The MSRP for a 2012 Civic EX is $21,275 including destination charge. Because they're not selling well, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it for under $20,000 including fees, and Honda is offering a great financing rate too. So for an extra few thousand, you'd get a brand new car with a brand new warranty. The 2012 gets better gas mileage too.

If you ever want to trade in this car, even if it's many years down the road when the car is close to death, you'll still get more for a 2012 with one owner than a 2008 with multiple owners.

FigureSpins
09-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Subaru, especially since you have to deal with snowy roads in the winter.
We've owned six different Subarus and they were wonderful. They held their value, too.

Stormy
09-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Unless there's some insane decline in quality (which I can't see happening ever) in Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus I'll never buy anything but one of those. Subaru is great too but not my style. Avoid Ford, avoid Chevy, avoid VW. Sounds like from what you want, you won't go wrong with either a Civic or a Corolla.

JumpinBug
09-25-2011, 11:11 PM
I love my Honda Fit. It's coming up on the fourth birthday, and still going strong. Tons of passenger and cargo room.

GarrAarghHrumph
09-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Today, I purchased a used 2008 Honda Civic EX. For a very good price v. book value. I am pleased. It's a four door, which is new for me - I've only ever driven two door cars. It's also my first ever used car.

I'm happy to have gotten this car - my husband told me that while I was in talking price, customers were swarming around the thing at the dealership. It's in very nice shape.

Really
09-26-2011, 12:57 AM
Good for you, Garr! Good luck with it! :)

WindSpirit
09-26-2011, 01:34 AM
Congrats! May it serve you well. :)

My father bought a used Civic in the US and sent it to my sister and she still got a great price for it when she sold it years later. It was a very nice car.

halffull
09-26-2011, 03:39 AM
Glad you stuck with what you already love :) Hope this car treats you right!!! My mom was a civic lady.

WindSpirit
09-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Today, I purchased a used 2008 Honda Civic EX. For a very good price v. book value. I have a question about that.

What are the prices in the Kelly Blue Book for as it seems that no one really goes by them?

According to the book, my 1999 Toyota in a good condition is worth $5710 (if sold to a private party). Even if it was in a fair condition it'd still be worth $5085. Of course no one would pay me that for such an old car.

As a trade-in, in good condition: $4475. In fair condition: $3925. I seriously doubt any dealer would offer me more than, say, $1600 for it (of course they would sell it for much more than that)

My old would-be buyer went out the window, but I have someone who's interested. We haven't discussed the price yet. How much should I ask for? Thinking a dealer would give only around $1600, I told $2000 to the person who's no longer in the picture. Should I ask the other person for at least $3000? It's still nowhere near the book value.

Lara
09-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Was going to add yet another Corolla vote, but the Civic should serve you well. :) Congrats!!!