PDA

View Full Version : If Freddie Mercury had a secret love child...

Pages : 1 [2]

Really
09-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Wow...

ETA: Canuckistani too! PatC, he's from your neck of the woods

agalisgv
09-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Just some background--as Really said, the band Martel plays in, Downhere, is a Canadian contemporary christian music (ccm) group. They haven't made it big in the US yet. Anyhow, in this band, Martel is actually a back-up singer and guitarist. There's another guy who does keyboard and lead vocals.

Now, one thing common in ccm is doing covers of other widely known music--particularly praise songs, but also mainstream stuff. Much of the music Downhere does at this point are covers. They do them fine, but they don't stand out bc of it.

I say that all as preface--the singing Martel is noted for is covers. In the vids above, he sounded very similar to Mercury. But in other covers he's done, he sounds almost exactly like the original singers of those songs (I'll post a link later). All of which is to say Martel is very good at imitating the voices and styles of others, but isn't known for a distinctive voice and style of his own. He can imitate a wide range of singers very well, but if he's not imitating others, he sounds rather average. Ergo why he's a back-up singer only at this point.

Maybe the popularity of these vids will encourage him to further develop as an artist.

agalisgv
09-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Here's Martel doing a cover of Keith Green's Asleep in the Light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yopyzrh2ejg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just FYI--Green was a giant in ccm a few decades ago. He was tragically killed at a young age in a plane crash. His music was concerned with making Christians less comfortable so they would walk the walk instead of just talking the talk. Asleep in the Light rather sums up Green's approach to music ministry IMO.

Anyhow, in this cover, Martel sounds *exactly* like Green. It's uncanny how similar it is. In other songs, Martel will sound just like DC Talk (before their lead singer switched to Newsboys). Martel is very good at imitating other singers. And he has a good voice regardless. But he's kinda a chameleon that way.

nubka
09-25-2011, 11:06 PM
The child would have really baaaaaad teeth. :D

genevieve
09-25-2011, 11:10 PM
I agree with others - Martel has a very good voice, and I'd say his voice is well suited to Queen songs - but I don't think he sounds just like Freddie Mercury. He's definitely no Arnel Pineda (Journey's replacement singer who does sound astoundingly like Steve Perry).