PDA

View Full Version : Hockey season 2011-2012!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26

reckless
06-12-2012, 05:10 AM
First Slovenian in the NHL, and now the first Slovenian to hoist the Cup!!

Tonight ended my 23 year Hockey nightmare with the Kings victory. :rollin:
Only 23 years? Mine is nearly 40 years. I remember in the mid-70s when we had to watch the games tape-delayed on channel 9 -- and those were the playoff games.

KHenry14
06-12-2012, 05:17 AM
Well, before that I was living in the Bay Area, which lost hockey in '75. But we moved to SoCal in '89, so I got hockey back!

Hey, I started out with the California Golden Seals, now that was a BAD franchise. So moving to LA and the Gretzky era Kings was like the heavens opened for me!

IceAlisa
06-12-2012, 05:18 AM
reckless, I can't believe you are old enough to say that. And congrats!!!

reckless
06-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Thanks. And I'm definitely old enough to say that.

One of the great things about the local coverage after the game is seeing old-time players like Luc Robitaille interviewed. I wished they had interviewed Rogie Vachon. He's involved with the Kings still, so he must have been around.

satchelpooch318
06-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I remember in the mid-70s when we had to watch the games tape-delayed on channel 9 -- and those were the playoff games.

Random question...was Bob Miller still doing the play-by-play for the Kings when you were watching back then?

reckless
06-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Random question...was Bob Miller still doing the play-by-play for the Kings when you were watching back then?
I'm pretty sure he was. I think he became the announcer when I was three, and he's the only PBP announcer I really remember. He once said that his greatest fear is that he would retire and the Kings would win the Stanley Cup the next year, so I wonder if he will retire now.

It's really amazing to think about the LA teams and the amazing long-term announcers they have had -- Vin Scully for the Dodgers, Bob Miller for the Kings, and the late-great Chick Hearn for the Lakers.

NancyNC
06-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Woo-hoo - love this outcome! One of our vendors used to work for the Kings and he's bringing me a championship shirt next time he comes out. My husband plans on wearing it to all the home games vs the Devils next year to annoy their obnoxious fans. :EVILLE:

cruisin
06-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Woo-hoo - love this outcome! One of our vendors used to work for the Kings and he's bringing me a championship shirt next time he comes out. My husband plans on wearing it to all the home games vs the Devils next year to annoy their obnoxious fans. :EVILLE:

No, we lost that competition as well. The Kings fans are far more obnoxious than the Jersey fans. At least we behave with some level of sportsmanship at the games. And as far as obnoxious, rubbing the team you defeat's nose in it is the height of obnoxious.

As far as Devils fans being upset by the outcome: I would have been fine if the Kings had simply won. But last night's game was a referee joke. The refs handed the game to the Kings. No question the Kings played well, and had the ref crap not happened I would gladly bow to the fact that the Devils just got trounced. But when a team is demoralized with unfair penalty calling and ref interference around the goal they are trying to defend, that breaks their spirit.

And FTR, if you knew hockey, you'd realize that it's highly unlikely that the Devils will be playing the Kings in LA during regular season. And even if it does happen, it will happen once - so "all of those games" might be one chance to wear a t-shirt that Devils fans won't even notice. And that's only if you go to that game.

ioana
06-12-2012, 11:56 PM
And FTR, if you knew hockey, you'd realize that it's highly unlikely that the Devils will be playing the Kings in LA during regular season. And even if it does happen, it will happen once - so "all of those games" might be one chance to wear a t-shirt that Devils fans won't even notice. And that's only if you go to that game.

It sounds like Nancy is a Hurricanes fan based on her location...not that this makes the 'wearing someone else's jersey just to spite you' brilliant plan of action any better.

cruisin
06-13-2012, 12:17 AM
It sounds like Nancy is a Hurricanes fan based on her location...not that this makes the 'wearing someone else's jersey just to spite you' brilliant plan of action any better.

Yes, I didn't notice that she was from NC until after I posted. I guess I got a bit miffed. I'm not a fan of spitefulness. In spite of my frustration over last night's game, I still can admit that the Kings played well, it was not their fault that the refs were morons, and I can congratulate them. I certainly would not taunt their goalie or their players. I feel no spitefulness toward them. I just feel disappointed that the Devils didn't win and that the game was tainted by such bad reffing.

And BTW, even if her husband wears the t-shirt in NC, not many Devils fans will see it or care much.

meggonzo
06-13-2012, 02:41 AM
I miss all the beards. :grope:

Is there any chance the Wild can sign Parise? pretty please??

Also, I really want to kick one of my co-workers in the shins. He is a know-it-all that is almost always wrong. Today he was all confused about why Dustin Brown would be the Kings captain. He is a hockey fan, so he knows some stuff. But apparently there are older guys on the team that he thought should be captain... like Willie Mitchell, who's played for the Kings for 2 years vs. Brown's 9 years. And had to tell him the Kings have a younger team. asshat.

IceAlisa
06-13-2012, 02:57 AM
Even the non-King fans would think this is cute: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/06/la-kings-stanley-cup-dustin-brown.html

reckless
06-13-2012, 04:18 AM
No, we lost that competition as well. The Kings fans are far more obnoxious than the Jersey fans. At least we behave with some level of sportsmanship at the games. And as far as obnoxious, rubbing the team you defeat's nose in it is the height of obnoxious.
Oh please. :rolleyes:

As far as Devils fans being upset by the outcome: I would have been fine if the Kings had simply won. But last night's game was a referee joke. The refs handed the game to the Kings. No question the Kings played well, and had the ref crap not happened I would gladly bow to the fact that the Devils just got trounced. But when a team is demoralized with unfair penalty calling and ref interference around the goal they are trying to defend, that breaks their spirit.
Are you seriously claiming that cross-checking a player face first into the boards is not a major penalty and game misconduct? The call was absolutely right.

Should there have been an earlier penalty, probably. But that means the Kings might have only had a three-minute major penalty. So maybe New Jersey would have only give up two goals in three minutes, not three. And who is to say that the Kings wouldn't have scored during the 4-on-4. They completely outskated New Jersey. The Devils were actually lucky they weren't already down before the major penalty.

Also, the refs called a pretty ridiculous roughing penalty in the second period against the Kings given the hits that were taking place. And you can't complain about any of the later penalties. The Devils were trying to bait the Kings with a lot of cheap shots.

Given NancyNC's username and her location being in North Carolina, I suspect the "home games" she mentions are Carolina's versus the Devils.

IceAlisa
06-13-2012, 04:28 AM
I had no idea that the Stanley Cup is so unique (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl---keepers-of-the-cup--finally-present-legendary-trophy-to-l-a--kings-after-six-day--8-200-mile-trek.html). Great story.

VALuvsMKwan
06-13-2012, 04:36 AM
Given NancyNC's username and her location being in North Carolina, I suspect the "home games" she mentions are Carolina's versus the Devils.

^^^^
Bingo.