PDA

View Full Version : Hockey season 2011-2012!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

professordeb
06-03-2012, 05:00 PM
What on earth was the Devils' Defence thinking when Downie scored? Good Hockey Gods, they were just standing around not even moving!!

Yes, I'm cheering for the Kings, but are you kidding me!?!

Speaking of another idiotic hockey topic...The Hot Stove was just talking about Tim Thomas and his latest stunt. They pretty much agreed all of this is more than likely a ploy to force a trade. Here's the thing that nitwit should truly be wondering about though.

W/all of the drama and stunts he's pulled the last few seasons, even though he's got the skills, what team in their right mind would want him?

It's obvious his teammates are sick and tired of all of this. I can't imagine the Bruins fans don't feel the same way. IMO, he wants to take a break, fine. Good luck finding another team later on though.

I got home late from a lacrosse game last evening and only caught the tail end of that discussion. I've not been a Thomas fan to begin with and when he pulled that stunt about not going to the White House -- well even this Canadian knows that is an insult. Sounds like Timmy wants to march to the beat of his own drum. Well then I would tell him to go ahead but don't expect everyone to bow down to your wishes. Not everyone worships at the feet of the "great Tim Thomas". :rolleyes:

AragornElessar
06-03-2012, 07:39 PM
It's pretty amazing still, isn't it that these teams ended up in the finals.

It really is. :)

I got home late from a lacrosse game last evening and only caught the tail end of that discussion. I've not been a Thomas fan to begin with and when he pulled that stunt about not going to the White House -- well even this Canadian knows that is an insult. Sounds like Timmy wants to march to the beat of his own drum. Well then I would tell him to go ahead but don't expect everyone to bow down to your wishes. Not everyone worships at the feet of the "great Tim Thomas". :rolleyes:

Alledgedly, he wants to take the year off to rest up for the Sochi Games. As Kelly Hrudey pointed out...

1. There's no guarantee he'd even make it *on* Team USA.

2 and more importantly...There's this guy by the name of Quick, not to mention a few others, who aren't just really good goalies, but also seem to have their heads screwed on properly. I mean...I wouldn't want such a loose cannon like Thomas representing my Country at an Olympics. Who knows what he'd pull on a stage that big?

I'm w/you Deb, if he wants to sit out, then let him sit out. He's in for a surprise if he thinks he'll be welcomed back w/open arms. JMO though...

KHenry14
06-04-2012, 09:01 AM
W/all of the drama and stunts he's pulled the last few seasons, even though he's got the skills, what team in their right mind would want him?

This is very true, and from what I've gathered, it's far worse in the Bruin clubhouse than we realize. He might have gotten some sympathy had he not enraged people by publicly dissing the President. I don't care who the President is or how you feel about him, you dishonor yourself and your team by publicly putting your politics above the team.

He also screws the Bruins because even though he wont be playing, his salary will still be counted against the cap. The only good news for the Bruins is that the have Rask to replace Thomas, so they don't need to hunt up a goalie.

And yes, he's delusional if he think he'll make the USA Olympic team in two years. Jon Quick(!), Ryan Miller and Jimmy Howard are already better than Thomas, and there's little chance that Thomas can bridge that gap at age 40.

And if this is a ploy to get traded, why the hypocracy? Why not just ask for a trade? Oh right, Tim Thomas is a tool, that's why. :rolleyes:

cruisin
06-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Looks like Thomas is definitely not playing next season year. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/06/bruins-goalie-tim-thomas-explains-nhl-hiatus/1#.T8yq747le-I

I'm not sure how that will help him prepare for making the Olympic team. It would seem that taking the time off would hurt his playing edge.

Go Devils!

meggonzo
06-05-2012, 04:33 AM
Devils just can't catch a break.

cruisin
06-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Devils just can't catch a break.

No, they can't. That first goal should not have happened. The game should have been stopped. Marty had the puck covered and they let the Kings continue to pummel him. Not blaming the Kings, the ref should have stopped it. But, the rest of the game was just painful to watch. As much as the Devils put up a good fight they were just out-played. I don't know if I can watch the next game :(. The Devils had so many shots on goal, but just couldn't get them where they needed to be. Some of that was positioning, most of it - Quick is just on fire. I'm sad for my Devils and for Marty :(

ioana
06-05-2012, 02:20 PM
As a fellow UMass Amherst grad, I should be happy for Quick. Watching him shut down my team and destroy all their confidence hasn't been any fun, though. Clinical and impressive, eys. Enjoyable? Eh....not so much from my pov.

NancyNC
06-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Please hockey gods please...only one more game... :-D

cruisin
06-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Please hockey gods please...only one more game... :-D

NO! The Devils need to win one (at least).

And, all of the Marty chanting that went on from the stands last night was so unsportsmanlike. Marty is one of the greatest goalies who ever played the game, a little respect from the crowd, especially when they're winning. I can't stand poor winners.

IceAlisa
06-05-2012, 04:55 PM
As a fellow UMass Amherst grad, I should be happy for Quick. Watching him shut down my team and destroy all their confidence hasn't been any fun, though. Clinical and impressive, eys. Enjoyable? Eh....not so much from my pov.

Should he be concerned with the opposing team's level of confidence and let in one or two just to keep it up? Or should he just be doing his job goal tending?

I feel bad for the Devils but Quick has been amazing so far. I've heard Brodeur is looking to retire after this.

ioana
06-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Should he be concerned with the opposing team's level of confidence and let in one or two just to keep it up?

Yes, please. I would suggest 2 goals in game 4 as an excellent starting point :P! Plus, all these sweeps and limited home ice playing time mean people are still confused about what the team's name is and what sport they play. I really do have their best interest in mind, you see.

http://www.thecheapseats.ca/2012/05/the-la-kings-stanley-cup-contenders-with-a-sense-of-humour.html

Or should he just be doing his job goal tending?

Nah, too painful to watch for us Devils fans. A few softies are a welcome suggestion. I think I will call up the Kings front office and run that by them...Think they should be amenable.

ETA: Marty said he wanted to come back next season earlier on, but at his age I can see how this could be subject to change.

cruisin
06-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Should he be concerned with the opposing team's level of confidence and let in one or two just to keep it up? Or should he just be doing his job goal tending?

I feel bad for the Devils but Quick has been amazing so far. I've heard Brodeur is looking to retire after this.

I agree with ioana! They could let the Devils take a few goals, maybe a game. Quick has been amazing, but we'd still think so if he gave a few up ;)

I would really hate to see Marty retire after such a devastating Stanley Cup. He's a legend! And the Devils don't really have anyone to step in. The next in line is Terrieri, and he's 36. I understand they have a young one coming up, but I don't think he's ready. If they loose Mary and Parise, next year will be a mess! Kovalchuk's back is clearly not healed, hopefully he is not causing further damage by playing.

IceAlisa
06-07-2012, 03:56 AM
Well, look who is back from the dead...

ioana
06-07-2012, 04:06 AM
Well, look who is back from the dead...

Wheee!!! Henrique was having a rough time in the finals, so it was great to see him show that much poise and control when he flicked Clarkson's pass for a goal up high. And I started being a Devils fan with the Arnie, Patty, Syky line so having Sykora back was a nice bonus.

Brodeur is a class act, talking about going back home and trying to give the fans a great finals home game.

KHenry14
06-07-2012, 04:08 AM
Kings hit two posts, had three unconverted breakaways, numerous other missed chances and deservedly lose this game. Waiting till Saturday for Game 5 will be painful.