PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Worlds for Rhythmic Gymnastics - Montpellier

Pages : 1 [2]

Asli
09-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Its basically the same thing over and over except with a different apparatus. That someone can so easily dominate the sport makes it an utter waste of time and Rowing and Sailing though they may be boring (I like both personally) are competitive.

"The same thing over and over again"? :huh: I don't know of another sport in which every athlete, from first to last, shows some originality and has such different strengths and weaknesses. If you don't like rythmic gymnastics, indeed you shouldn't waste your time watching it.

As for the placements, I've watched yesterday's competition on a French channel and when Delphine Ledoux's final score came up and people realised she would finish as high as 12th and qualified for the olympics - I can't describe her happiness and the emotions of her coach, the president of the federation, the commentators. The crowd also went mad. :rollin: Everyone had tears in their eyes during her interview. It's not only about the gold medal.

Domshabfan
09-24-2011, 03:29 PM
"The same thing over and over again"? :huh: I don't know of another sport in which every athlete, from first to last, shows some originality and has such different strengths and weaknesses. If you don't like rythmic gymnastics, indeed you shouldn't waste your time watching it.

Well said, could't agree more.

As for the placements, I've watched yesterday's competition on a French channel and when Delphine Ledoux's final score came up and people realised she would finish as high as 12th and qualified for the olympics - I can't describe her happiness and the emotions of her coach, the president of the federation, the commentators. The crowd also went mad. :rollin: Everyone had tears in their eyes during her interview. It's not only about the gold medal.

French could have had 2 qualifiers, if French had given Ksenia Mustafaeva (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FscIKZr_io&feature=related)citizenship, she has been living in France for so long, yet she hasn't got citizenship.

Dionysus
09-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Kanaeva - stunning... She always shows up a real dignity by each sophisticated move

pumba
09-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Its basically the same thing over and over except with a different apparatus. That someone can so easily dominate the sport makes it an utter waste of time and Rowing and Sailing though they may be boring (I like both personally) are competitive.

hmm:rolleyes:
in skating they did all the same over and over in CD.
There are basically 6 jumps to execute in singles and pairs.
etc..

Before saying that someone can dominate rhythmics so easily - just try and make at least one oversplit like these girls do ;).

+ if you have a bit more patience and watch the competitions attentively you'll notice that different types of body movements are required in every single apparatus, and each apparatus demands special technique - so no way it is all the same.

ballettmaus
09-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Its basically the same thing over and over except with a different apparatus.

There's one problem with that statement because every other sport is basically the same thing over and over; whether you have a short or long distance in - to use your example - rowing, each and every single rower is doing the exact same thing. And so is every runner and every skier or whatever sport you want to use. It's the artistic sports which actually vary. They're just not as unpredictable (though every sport has their favorites and there was a time the Germans took more or less every rowing medal of the competitions they entered or Isinbaeva took the gold in pole vault each time she showed up and Usain Bolt didn't exactly make the 100 and 200 m unpredictable at the last Olympic Games) But I don't watch any of the artistic sports - which also includes figure skating, thank you very much - for their unpredictability.

As pumba mentioned each apparatus has different emphasis that 50% of the routine must consist of. With ribbon it's turns, with clubs it's balance, with rope it's jumps, with ball it's flexibility. Hoop is a mixture of everything. And each apparatus has to be handled with both hands equally.

OnyxRose81
09-24-2011, 11:26 PM
The IOC benched softball because the main reasongiven was that it wasn't very competitive (the US always won). This is pretty much the same thing.

Asli
09-25-2011, 02:10 AM
The IOC benched softball because the main reasongiven was that it wasn't very competitive (the US always won). This is pretty much the same thing.

With that sort of logic, basketball should also be kicked out of the olympics, as well as the 4x100 and 4x400 relay races. The USA always wins. ;)

The difference of softball from such popular sports as basketball and athletics is that while there are softball (and baseball) federations in many countries, it is only immensely popular in very few - basically USA and Japan - and it is a marginal sport in the rest. So the quality falls abruptly after these two countries. This does not make for a good olympic sport.

Not so for rythmic gymnastics. Watch any high-level individual or group competition, these gymnasts are very close to each other, they can only be separated by minor details. It is a very competitive sport, therefore gymnasts have to take a lot of risk and do make mistakes.

Anyway, Italy won the gold in the all-around group competition - they had won the last two Worlds as well but since they are not Russia, I suspect the outcry will not be so loud. :shuffle:

BTW I am always amazed when people who don't enjoy or understand a sport ask for it to be removed from the Olympics. (The same for ice dance.) Why can't people just ignore it if they don't like it? Being an olympic sport is vital for a sport's public and private funding and development. Why does it bother you that other sports should develop except for those that you enjoy? :huh:

Rob
09-25-2011, 05:35 AM
I have just seen a few hoop and ball routines, but Kanaeva's combinations and catches are just so difficult and smooth. But I prefer Kondakova's line to Kanaeva's and I love the turn combinations in Kondakova's choreography.

Domshabfan
09-25-2011, 03:57 PM
I have just seen a few hoop and ball routines, but Kanaeva's combinations and catches are just so difficult and smooth. But I prefer Kondakova's line to Kanaeva's and I love the turn combinations in Kondakova's choreography.

Yes, i agree that Kanaeva has just exquisite apparatus handling skills, i absolutely love her Ribbon and Clubs (i did not even mind that it was to Bolero). I like Kondakova, but for me she always does wild programs, we never get to see variety in her program selections. I also don't like Kondakova's pivots.

Bulgaria and Russia won Group apparatus finals... Israel, Italy also wining medals.

DustPuppyOI
09-26-2011, 03:30 AM
I haven't been watching this cycle that much so I've been enjoying how there's more requirements for apparatus handling in addition to the extreme active flexibility. It's also refreshing to see that Kanaeva actually has a womanly body but is still as competitive as ever. The only thing that I don't get is how Kondakova rarely turns in full demi-pointe! I suppose her technique is legit and doesn't get penalized?

Rob
09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
The only thing that I don't get is how Kondakova rarely turns in full demi-pointe! I suppose her technique is legit and doesn't get penalized?

I noticed that - I only saw Kanaeva come off demi pointe once in her turns - Kondakova does a lot of position change turns, but she is not high on her toes.

I also noticed that a number of them bend the supporting leg when whipping off turns in what we skate fans would call the Biellmann position. Is that acceptable or a deduction? Even Kanaeva -- a couple of times she started on a straight supporting leg, then it bent in the middle of the turns.

I really liked what I saw of Neta Rivkin.

Lara
10-03-2011, 05:18 AM
Non geoblocked CBC video!!! :cheer2:
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/Full_Shows/1659795921/ID=16298203

It'll also be re-aired in 15 min on CBC Sports Late Night. :)

caseyedwards
10-26-2011, 07:24 PM
puny half hour

Thursday, October 27, 2011
4:00a - 4:30a Gymnastics: Rhythmic Gymnastics World Championships