PDA

View Full Version : The Sing-Off, Season 3 (US, NBC)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

Rogue
11-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I think Afro Blue's country song saved them. Anytime you have 2 of the judges standing after one of your performances, you are probably going to stick around another week, even if your other song was subpar. It also helped that their outstanding performance was the 2nd one, while Delilah's better performance was the first one.

screech
11-12-2011, 06:17 AM
I'm not a fan of Afro Blue - aside from the one girl with the crazy eyes, I don't find their voices that great, especially not the bigger girl that the judges seem to love. And they always try to 'jazz' up the songs. I get that that's their style, but they have to adapt. They are just 'blah' to me.

I LOVE Dartmouth Aires. Every time Michael opens his mouth I picture him as Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar.

Urban Method relies on Myke. I bet he keeps thinking that he should be pursuing a solo rap career, since his awesomeness is really the only reason the group is still around.

I enjoy Vocal Point - they are the best 'performers' of the show, and always make me smile. That's the same reason I loved the Yellowjackets, who really should not have been sent home that week.

Pentatonix are great - and all 5 of them do what they do so well that you can't really imagine the group without any one of them, though I picture Anthony Michael Hall (circa Edward Scissorhands) every time I look at the lead vocalist.

As for Delilah... good riddance. I didn't find them that strong most weeks, and something about them just annoyed the heck out of me.

indicatoto101
11-13-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm really rooting for Pentatonix. The lead vocalist always sings well regardless of the style, the tenor has a beautiful voice, and the girl is an amazing harmonizer. Of course, the bass and beatboxer are the best in the competition.

The aries are fun to watch but don't impress me from a vocal standpoint. They sound too busy and have amateur sounding arrangements. Though Michael is great and Henry is so damn cute!

rfisher
11-15-2011, 03:00 AM
Vocal Point out.

LuckyCharm
11-15-2011, 03:03 AM
Audience voting starts next week. I'll be very surprised if Pentatonix doesn't win it all.

twinsmom
11-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Vocal Point out.

:( I admit to being a Vocal Point fan (and am biased towards BYU) and am really sad they left. For me, they are every bit as entertaining as the Aires, and I think overall a bit better musically. The Aires do have a superstar lead vocalist in Michael (LOVE him) and that might be lacking in Vocal Point. I might have let Afro Blue go this week - I really like it when they do jazz, but the last few weeks have been pretty weak for me (didn't get the love for their country song last week). I think Pentatonix are absolutely fantastic and so creative and will probably win. Don't have a problem with that at all.

I really love this show because I love a cappella so much. I love to hear singers that you know can sing and don't need to be autotuned!

Sk8Kate
11-16-2011, 04:38 PM
I was really sad to see Vocal Point go. I agree that they may not have sold many albums, but they made me smile with every performance and are so dang likeable! I'd have let Afro Blue go, myself. I feel like they, or Urban Method, will be the next ones out. I don't dislike either group, but I feel like they're not on the same level as the others.

That said, I have a collective crush on the Dartmouth Aires and am really hoping they win the whole thing. Michael is unbelievable. I hope that even if the Aires don't win, he's able to get some job offers out of this. (Of course, if the Aires are all bright enough to go to Dartmouth, I imagine they'll all "make it" in life some way or another.) I wouldn't be upset if it goes to Pentatonix as they are definitely impressive, but I think I prefer the fuller sound of a larger group myself.

Reuven
11-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Whilst I’m pulling for Local Son, Michael and the Dartmouth Aires, I have a soft spot for both Afro Blue and Pentatonix. Possibly because they remind me of Manhattan Transfer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofg8vUDGWQI&feature=related).

UMBS Go Blue
11-16-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm just glad the Aires have made it this far! :cheer2:

While Michael is great, I think the group is relying on him too much to lead the way. I think there have been examples (the Queen medley, and how the group backed up Michael in "Midnight Train to Georgia") where the group as a whole can rise up to the occasion and produce some stunning harmonies in true a cappella style. For example, Ben Folds has been giving the bass section some grief, and, to their credit, they take the criticism constructively and come out swinging in the following performance. I'm also loving how some of the other singers in the group are being rotated in and out through solos and getting their moments in the spotlight. Basically, I'm saying that they all have some degree of talent, and that they have it within themselves to challenge each other and do more. :inavoid:

Rogue
11-17-2011, 02:29 PM
I would also probably have sent AfroBlue home, even thought I enjoy their style. They just totally lost it on their second song. But the judges probably wanted a little more variety in the final four, so one of the college groups had to go.

twinsmom
11-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Whilst Iím pulling for Local Son, Michael and the Dartmouth Aires, I have a soft spot for both Afro Blue and Pentatonix. Possibly because they remind me of Manhattan Transfer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofg8vUDGWQI&feature=related).

Ah, Manhattan Transfer :swoon: Possibly my favorite jazz group ever! Afro Blue reminded me of them so much towards the beginning, but not so much in the last few weeks. I'll be happy for whoever wins, cuz I think they're all great.

LuckyCharm
11-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Audience voting starts tonight. Anyone still watching? I got home late and missed the entire first hour.:wall:

indicatoto101
11-22-2011, 02:53 AM
Wow. Mitch's voice in "Dog Days are Over" was so gorgeous and enchanting. His pitch was perfect. Couldn't get the cable working so missed the first set of performances. However they performed in the first round, Pentatonix has my votes.

UMBS Go Blue
11-22-2011, 05:24 AM
ZOMG THE AIRES MADE THE FINAL, PLS CALL 877 674 6403 or TEXT 3 to 97979. TEN VOTES ALLOWED. USE ALL THE PHONES YOU CAN. THANKS!!!!! :40beers: :cheer2: :inavoid:

Aceon6
11-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Whoa. I love me some Aires, I really do, but they made a lot of mistakes last night. Afro Blue was spot on in the sing for your life, Aires not so much.

Pentatonix for the win.