PDA

View Full Version : Emmy Awards Red Carpet and Ceremony

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32

Bostonfan
09-21-2011, 06:48 PM
But if she's on the red carpet, then she's probably doing it for the cameras and the crowds in the stands. I mean it is a bit over-the-top but she is from the theatre ;).

Exactly. Leah is doing nothing more than what professional models do when they are "working it" on the runway. Leah has got the whole red carpet schtick down to a science. It's all about posing for the pictures.

Sure it looks artificial and overly staged. The red carpet concept is not meant to be a study in realism and humility. It's designed to portray a fantasy world of starzzzzzzz.

Now if she walked down the street with a latte in her hand like she walks on the red carpet, then I'll be the first one to say that fame has gone to her head. But the accounts I've read about the GLEE concert tour indicates that she's very warm and generous to the fans.

cruisin
09-21-2011, 08:13 PM
There's actually a movie musical of Les Mis currently in the works.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1707386/

Hugh Jackman might be playing Jean Valjean :D

Thanks!

Not sure about casting, though (other than Hugh Jackman). I know Anne Hathaway can sing, but can she really pull off Fantine? Who could Emma Watson play? Can she sing? And Russell Crowe as Javert? Can he sing? Helena Bonham Carter would be awesome as madame Thenardier. But, Les Mis is all sung, the voices really have to be better than good. Cosette's, Eponine's, and Marius', voices not only have to be outstanding, they have to harmonize brilliantly.

Physically, I see Jackman looking more like Javert (elegant) and Crowe looking like Valjean (scruffy).

VIETgrlTerifa
09-21-2011, 08:36 PM
They could give it the Dreamgirls film treatment and change it from an all-sung format to mostly dialogue with songs interjected.

Theatregirl1122
09-21-2011, 08:37 PM

Hugh Jackman might be playing Jean Valjean :D

Yeah, I hear the words "Anne Hathaway as Fantine" and I feel sick to my stomach. And if I never have to hear Helena Bonham Carter croak her way through a song, I'll die a happy woman. So I think I'll skip it.

I wish these movie musicals would focus more on Broadway stars who can, you know, actually sing. Instead of famous actresses. I mean Helena Bonham Carter actually cannot sing her way out of a paper bag. Her singing was embarrassing in Sweeney Todd. I'm over it. I mean, look at the casting for the Rock of Ages Musical. Tom Cruise could not be more wrong for Stacee Jaxx. And it's not even about the singing.

my little pony
09-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I hear the words "Anne Hathaway as Fantine" .

no

if it isnt too late, i'm prepared to war crawl around the set in black makeup and create booby traps until they have to recast

VIETgrlTerifa
09-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Would it be worse than Daphne Rubin-Vega? :p

my little pony
09-21-2011, 08:47 PM
DRV as fantine? is this some sort of sequel or age progression?

cruisin
09-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately, most of the broadway stars who were brilliant in the roles, are too old to play them now. Even the Dream Cast would, mostly, be too old. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_MisÚrables:_The_Dream_Cast_in_Concert.

Agree that Helena Bonham Carter can't sing to save her life, but "Madame" doesn't really have to sing well anyway, she just has to look clownish. And Carter does that, even when she's not in a role. :lol:

michiruwater
09-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Well, I think Hathaway is both a fine singer and a good actress, so we'll see. She could either do it well or poorly. I'm not sure there would be any middle ground.

Emma Watson has stated several times she wants to do a musical. I don't think anyone has heard her sing but she seems to be confident in her own skills. But I'm pretty sure the casting of Marius, Eponine, and Cosette are all just rumors right now anyway. I've heard that Lucy Hale is in talks for Eponine. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Allen
09-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Unfortunately, most of the broadway stars who were brilliant in the roles, are too old to play them now. Even the Dream Cast would, mostly, be too old. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_MisÚrables:_The_Dream_Cast_in_Concert.

Lea Salonga :swoon:

cruisin
09-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Lea Salonga :swoon:

Me too! It will be virtually impossible to find another voice to sing Eponine's role, that comes close to Lea Salonga. And Judy Kuhn was brilliant as Cosette.

Maybe Lea Michelle could play Cosette, she played her as a child on broadway.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-22-2011, 12:21 AM
DRV as fantine? is this some sort of sequel or age progression?

She played her in the latest revival.

TygerLily
09-22-2011, 12:36 AM

Hugh Jackman might be playing Jean Valjean :DYay! I hope the scriptwriters do a better job with this version that the Uma Thurman one. The musical was fairly different from the book (or had a different character emphasis, anyway--with Eponine as a beloved hero and Cosette as the whiny two-dimensional brat, when the book was kinda opposite), but that film version was just a plain bad rendition. They mucked up the timing of Valjean's on-screen reveal to Cosette about his past. I was so disappointed.

Lea Salonga :swoon::swoon: indeed!

Hey, Marius could totally be played by Boy Jonas!

:rofl:

my little pony
09-22-2011, 01:03 AM
She played her in the latest revival.

i can see it on stage but she will look too old on film imo

VIETgrlTerifa
09-22-2011, 01:07 AM
i can see it on stage but she will look too old on film imo

She was too old for the Rent film too. I was just responding to people who were saying they shouldn't cast Hollywood actors and just cast Broadway people and were angry about Anne Hathaway not being right for Fantine.