PDA

View Full Version : Emmy Awards Red Carpet and Ceremony

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32

my little pony
09-20-2011, 04:27 AM
I thought Joan in Humoresque ran circles around Mildred Pierce. The latter film? Ann Blyth mopped the screen up with Joan. And that's the only film I can watch Blyth in.

because the character in humoresque is crazy. joan owned crazy but as a big star she ended up with a lot of sympathetic leading lady parts that imo she was not suited for. joan would have beaten veda to death with her own shoe. another great joan part is a woman's face. that character isnt crazy but she's filled with rage for most of the film.

VALuvsMKwan
09-20-2011, 05:31 AM
because the character in humoresque is crazy. joan owned crazy but as a big star she ended up with a lot of sympathetic leading lady parts that imo she was not suited for. joan would have beaten veda to death with her own shoe. another great joan part is a woman's face. that character isnt crazy but she's filled with rage for most of the film.

George Cukor, who directed the film, is alleged to have made her recite the multiplication tables over and over again before she performed her big scene about the scarring of her face so that she would tell her story almost without emotion, matter-of-factly, to keep her from chewing the screen with drama but have the rage bubbling underneath her recitation. The man knew how to develop a character.

Fergus
09-20-2011, 03:01 PM
At least it's better than Betty Grable.

:wideeyes: Blasphemy! :drama: Betty was a Technicolor musical goddess! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGgzmLmjwZk)

Another B'way suggestion for La Winslet: Tea and Sympathy ;) :watch:

Rex
09-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Crazy and she loved her liquor...the part was made for her...

George Cukor, who directed the film, is alleged to have made her recite the multiplication tables over and over again before she performed her big scene about the scarring of her face so that she would tell her story almost without emotion, matter-of-factly, to keep her from chewing the screen with drama but have the rage bubbling underneath her recitation. The man knew how to develop a character. I've seen it - it's an American remake of a Garbo movie, is it not?

:wideeyes: Blasphemy! :drama: Betty was a Technicolor musical goddess! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGgzmLmjwZk) ICK. Other than How To Marry a Millionaire, I can't watch her movies.

Another B'way suggestion for La Winslet: Tea and Sympathy ;) :watch:She'd be great in Tea and Sympathy....what a great idea. Another HBO movie maybe. I just wonder if the material would be considered dated or not, though.

Did anyone watch Fashion Police last night? Joan was in rare form...I'm not listening to Kelly Osborne anymore; I think she doesn't know what she's talking about. Even Giuliana RANCID makes more sense than she does.

my little pony
09-20-2011, 07:02 PM
A Woman's Face is a remake of an INgrid Bergman film, I'd love to see it

Rex
09-20-2011, 07:21 PM
A Woman's Face is a remake of an INgrid Bergman film, I'd love to see it

Oh, Bergman...hmmmm, I would like to see that. I've seen both of her versions of Intermezzo.

Beefcake
09-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Did anyone watch Fashion Police last night? Joan was in rare form...I'm not listening to Kelly Osborne anymore; I think she doesn't know what she's talking about. Even Giuliana RANCID makes more sense than she does.
Kelly needs career in fashion .. fashion WRITING. She's useless as a TV personality ... obtuse, bland, hard-to-look-at twit, nothing witty or funny to say, unable to formulate the sentences to give good, interesting insights. An outright waste of time on FP that could be spent on more "must see" looks, Joan doing her :o :rofl: thing, or George doing anything. Dead air is more interesting than Kelly Osbourne. Seriously, when she dissed Xtina a few weeks ago it was the first time I'd ever found her :wideeyes: interesting. And even that revealed KO's rich-girl Heather self-centeredness more than it did Christina's inferred bitchiness, and will be funny when KO plumps up again.

Guilianna is fine by me. She makes me laugh, her opinions are sharper and far far far less driven by all the people she knows and has met (:rolleyes: Kelly), and she frequently makes fun of her self/her place in the world relative to the stars she's reporting on.

Rex
09-20-2011, 08:23 PM
^^^Kelly's there because of her family connections, isn't she? She kills me with how she can criticize whomever she pleases, but when she was on Piers Morgan's show, she jumped down his throat because he doesn't like Madonna....And all she can ever really say is "So-and-so is so BEAUTifulllll...". Guiliana can be annoying, but I trust her judgment more than I do Kelly's.

Allen
09-20-2011, 09:03 PM

Joan was on fire last night! Her quip about Zooey Deschanel made me laugh until I cried. That may have been Joan's best awards special ever.

Kelly and Giuliana are both just kind of there to me. Neither one is particularly interesting and both can be fairly annoying, but I don't mind them one way or the other really.

I wish Nina would join the cast full time. I really enjoyed her last night.

VALuvsMKwan
09-20-2011, 09:07 PM
:wideeyes: Blasphemy! :drama: Betty was a Technicolor musical goddess! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGgzmLmjwZk)

Yeah, but Zanuck at Fox did not serve her well in terms of material - remake after remake, sometimes of her her own earlier films, but retitled. From all accounts, however, La Grable was a nice, down-to-earth, hard-working woman who, by the way, started VERY early in films (she was 14 or so in "Whoopee" in 1930 IIRC).

Rex, do you just not like movie musicals in general, not even Judy's? What kind of "family" member are you if not? :eek:

Fergus
09-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah, but Zanuck at Fox did not serve her well in terms of material - remake after remake, sometimes of her her own earlier films, but retitled.

True, the scripts were regurgitated and the direction completely trite, BUT the production values were A++, for Grable and Alice Faye. The Travis Banton costumes, the super-saturated Technicolor cinematography, the Art Deco meets Hollywood Regency art direction, in that regard Zanuck didn't skimp a penny. :)

I also think it was rather smarty-pants of Fox to play up the Good Neighbor Policy toward "exotic" South America, which obviously was a land filled with chic pastel-colored nightclubs. ;)

VALuvsMKwan
09-20-2011, 10:30 PM
True, the scripts were regurgitated and the direction completely trite, BUT the production values were A++, for Grable and Alice Faye. The Travis Banton costumes, the super-saturated Technicolor cinematography, the Art Deco meets Hollywood Regency art direction, in that regard Zanuck didn't skimp a penny. :)

I also think it was rather smarty-pants of Fox to play up the Good Neighbor Policy toward "exotic" South America, which obviously was a land filled with chic pastel-colored nightclubs. ;)

Agreed, Fergus - Grable movies by and large were set in never-never land -and Carmen Miranda was a wacked-out Tinkerbell for several of them. ;)

Rex
09-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Rex, do you just not like movie musicals in general, not even Judy's? What kind of "family" member are you if not? :eek:Other than Funny Girl and West Side Story, there are not too many musicals I can sit through. Maybe a Doris Day musical, but most of them are bad. Give me my 40's melodramas with Kate and Bette reading someone, Joan as a nobly suffering masochistic clotheshorse, and Barbara Stanwyck capping someone, and I'm happier than Harvey Fierstein at a Crisco convention.

Cyn
09-20-2011, 10:45 PM

Joan was on fire last night! Her quip about Zooey Deschanel made me laugh until I cried. That may have been Joan's best awards special ever.

I just logged on specifically to post about last night's Fashion Police - I nearly fell out of the bed from :rofl: :eek: :yikes: at some of the comments. Allen, you're absolutely right - Joan was on FIYAH with the :rofl: :EVILLE:. Definitely one of their better shows (though I could have lived without seeing Nina Garcia's pruneface).

It's on again at 6:00 EDT (in about 15 minutes) - I'm planning to watch it again.

IceAlisa
09-21-2011, 12:44 AM
^^^Oh my, I need to DVR this if it comes on again.