PDA

View Full Version : Theories & Thoughts on why Kwan hasn't retired

Pages : [1] 2 3

foreverkwanfan
09-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Wanted to hear some thoughts & theories on why Michelle Kwan hasn't retired.
It seems pretty clear that she will not compete again, ever, so why hasn't she cut the cord? Why does she leave that door open?
If she were to return it would already be too late for this season.
Or maybe she is waiting until she gets inducted into the Hall of Fame to make her announcement?
It looks like she is going to get a serious job with the move to DC, so that would pretty much cut out any chance of skating.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Yazmeen
09-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Maybe it just doesn't matter to her? She'd prefer to just enjoy the private life she has now and doesn't feel obligated to announce a retirement or anything else, for that matter?

Bostonfan
09-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Has she said the words? No. Does she need to say the words? No. Her actions have made it clear she's not returning to competitive skating. She has repeatedly said that skating will always be a part of her life, but that she's eager to move onto a different part of her life.

Prior to the Nancy/Tonya boom in the 90s, it was not common for skaters to officially announcing their retirement. They took their shot at the Olympics and then skated off to Ice Capades/Stars on Ice/Champions on Ice.

After Nancy/Tonya, the professional skating opportunities exploded, so it became common for skaters to make clear that they were leaving eligible skating to pursue professional opportunities. But those days are long gone. Unless you're an uber-sports celebrity like Michael Jordan and Brett Favre - who hold press conferences to announce their retirement (and then don't always actualy stay retired), niche sports stars rarely announce they are retired.

I'm a HUGE Kwan fan. My record speaks for itself. But I don't need to hear her say the words to know that she's retired from competitive skating. I guess some people do need to hear it in order to get some sort of closure.

Aussie Willy
09-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Actions speak louder than words.

alchemy void
09-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Duh, she's.training for Sochi! :cheer:

RD
09-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Has she said the words? No. Does she need to say the words? No. Her actions have made it clear she's not returning to competitive skating. She has repeatedly said that skating will always be a part of her life, but that she's eager to move onto a different part of her life.

Actions speak louder than words.

indeed.

falling_dance
09-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Duh, she's.training for Sochi! :cheer:

2013-2014

SP: The Cellist of Sarajevo (Martonized)
LP: Second Piano Sonata (Boulez)
EX: L'Estasi Dell'oro (Morricone)

Gold dresses for all three programs. :sekret: says there might be a Kerrigan hand-me-down among them.

foreverkwanfan
09-19-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm not saying she has to officially retire, I am just curious as to why she hasn't if she isn't skating anymore competitions.

Coco
09-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Because she's too upset about her Olympic results to close the door on it permanently?

I'm sure she's made her peace with this, but perhaps out of respect for / fear of some of her fans, she's just letting it be without making it official, lol.

Iceman
09-19-2011, 12:44 AM
I thought---and am probably wrong----that you had to have formally retired to be considered for the Hall of Fame.

Beyond that, I see no reason for her to announce she has retired.

Personally, I would like to see her make another run for it. I wish the Olympics had two competitive divisions based on an age range (possibly 16-25 and the other 26+), but that would be prohibitively expensive; however, that does seem a possibility for Worlds.

Aussie Willy
09-19-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm not saying she has to officially retire, I am just curious as to why she hasn't if she isn't skating anymore competitions.
Does she need to?

She has probably been busy studying and also doing diplomatic things for the US government. She does have a life outside of skating and more important things to do than worrying about things like that.

Vash01
09-19-2011, 12:50 AM
I thought---and am probably wrong----that you had to have formally retired to be considered for the Hall of Fame.

Beyond that, I see no reason for her to announce she has retired.

Personally, I would like to see her make another run for it. I wish the Olympics had two competitive divisions based on an age range (possibly 16-25 and the other 26+), but that would be prohibitively expensive; however, that does seem a possibility for Worlds.

There are world champions aged 26-27 (Irina, Maria), so it will be unfair to them to be placed in that 'older' group (can't say 'senior' since we already have that term). The Olympics don't have age groups, so world figure skating will be the only place where you could have different age groups- like 30 & above in singles (the older group). We already have the Adult skating competitions. May be those could be moved under the worlds banner? I would still prefer Pro competitions with definite rules and integrity. Something tells me Michelle will not be interested in those.

Back to the original topic though- may be she still loves to skate and loves to compete in her heart, though her body may not be able to do it. Her heart has not totally accepted the fact that she is at the retirement point in FS.

Carolla5501
09-19-2011, 01:34 AM
If she officially retired we would not be able have threads like this. So i assume she is not retiring as a service to bored figure skating fans in the off season :)

blue_idealist
09-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Maybe she is still considering a potential comeback, like some said. She isn't that old, and she did try to come back in '06.

foreverkwanfan
09-19-2011, 01:40 AM
If she officially retired we would not be able have threads like this. So i assume she is not retiring as a service to bored figure skating fans in the off season :)

I think you may have something there. (kidding)
Maybe it is true that she doesn't want to because she is not ready to fully close that door. She does love skating and it is part of her and so many years of her life have been devoted to skating.
I love Michelle very much btw and she can do whatever she likes, I was just thinking out loud.