PDA

View Full Version : GLEE: Season 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72

skatingfan5
05-17-2012, 07:43 PM
OK, this is not name-dropping, really. But Whoopi Goldberg is one of the few celebrities I've had a conversation with, at a fundraiser for an organization I was working for in the late 90s, in a megamansion in Beverly Hills. ... Whoopi/PRLady convo ...
In other words, that is a lady who isn't going to dress uncomfortably even in costume!:lol: And yet, she was wearing a girdle to that event in the late 90s! :shuffle: That's a couple of decades later than the last time I ever owned, much less wore one.:slinkaway

PRlady
05-17-2012, 11:18 PM
:lol: And yet, she was wearing a girdle to that event in the late 90s! :shuffle: That's a couple of decades later than the last time I ever owned, much less wore one.:slinkaway

Women wear girdles to meet Bill Clinton. I forgot to put that part in. That's what she said! Since I was wearing control-top pantyhose myself and couldn't breathe all that well, I agreed with her on that too.

PeterG
05-18-2012, 12:34 AM
No, guys, no need to get huffy with me. I think almost every woman on this thread has complained at one time or another about how they're handling the female characters. (We were all high school girls once.) The virginity ickiness is omnipresent. The ambiguity about women who want careers first is obvious. And the relationships between the girls -- Rachel/Quinn being the most obvious -- are not handled realistically, most of those conversations would never take place in this universe.

So maybe I'm wrong and all the writers are just dumb about women. Given the attention to the interests of the show-runner though, it's not beyond the realm of possibilty to suggest he doesn't get things he hasn't experienced. Like, d'uh.

:lol: All I can say is that as a gay man, I'm not sure if I've ever watched a television show or movie that reflected gay men like myself. Just lots of variations of stereotypes. So if you were hoping that a farce such as Glee was going to accurately reflect your femaleness (or accurately reflect any group)...I would tell you to exhale! :D

PRlady
05-18-2012, 01:13 AM
:lol: All I can say is that as a gay man, I'm not sure if I've ever watched a television show or movie that reflected gay men like myself. Just lots of variations of stereotypes. So if you were hoping that a farce such as Glee was going to accurately reflect your femaleness (or accurately reflect any group)...I would tell you to exhale! :D

:rofl: Granted. As we all say, it's not reality, it's Glee!!

AshleyN
05-18-2012, 02:25 AM
Just did a major catch-up on the last few weeks, and was actually pleasantly surprised. It felt like old-school Glee at times. And dammit, as much as this show pisses me off at times, I still had a great big grin plastered on my face during the Nationals performances (and another when they won:D). The Journey medley is still my favourite New Directions competition performance*, but this one definitely gave it a run for it's money. My only complaint is that I've always really wanted to see a Hummelberry duet in competition, and that was the last chance to get one. Much as I love me my Rachel solos I would have traded this one for a duet, but I guess that wouldn't have worked with the NYADA thing.

Speaking of her, I think one of my favourite things about the last couple of episodes is that we've actually seen some of the old Rachel - driven, determined, and focused on her goals. It seriously blows my mind that these showrunners can't see how much more interesting a character career-driven Rachel is than drippy girlfriend Rachel. And Lea Michele can be so damn good when given something to do other than be "the girlfriend" - she was devastating in the botched audition scene. And on another note, she sounded frakking incredible on everything she sang in Nationals. "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" was her big moment obviously, but her parts in the Meatloaf song and "We Are the Champions" were glorious too.

I don't care if he only had two scenes, the appearance of Jesse St. Sexy still got me all excited. I will always think this show blew it when they didn't bring him on full-time, and then destroyed his character to boot. And his scene with Rachel was a nice reminder that they can throw as much Finchel at me as they want, but in my head I'm always going to believe that at some point in the future her and Jesse reunite and become a Broadway power couple.

As for the speculation of Unique joing the New Directions next year, I have to say I'm not in favour. He's a great singer, but his acting isn't particularly impressive. The thing is, most everyone on the show can sing, but the best actors amongst the "kids" are graduating this year and they really need to hire some legit actors to put in the choir room next year.

*Unless we're counting "Don't Rain on My Parade" on it's own of course.

:lol: All I can say is that as a gay man, I'm not sure if I've ever watched a television show or movie that reflected gay men like myself. Just lots of variations of stereotypes. So if you were hoping that a farce such as Glee was going to accurately reflect your femaleness (or accurately reflect any group)...I would tell you to exhale! :DEh, for me at least, it's not so much the fact that it's unrealistic as that the portrayal of women on the show tends to indicate some somewhat disturbing attitudes on the part of the writers, particularly when it comes to (as PRLady said) 1) female sexuality and 2) women with ambition.

maatTheViking
05-18-2012, 03:15 AM

For me, the attitude towards women and sexuality (men want sex, women give sex) is a reflection of attitudes like that being much more prevalent in the US than I am used to.

Glee, of course, is stereotype heaven - but the storyline around Emma's sexuality bothered me in particular because of the OCD lead-in and the 'my man is a winner so I must give him sex' conclusion. Yeah, there is lot of inaccuracies and some annoying stereotyping and unrealistic thougt processes - but for some reason this is the one that bothers me.

FWIW I don't think it has much to do with gender or sexuality of the shows writers.

ks1227
05-18-2012, 04:23 AM
I have never enjoyed a Vocal Adrenaline performance and tonight was no exception. That pinball song lasted FOREVER. Oh gawd, will we have more of Unique next season?

I either never heard of the song (Paradise by the Dashboard Light), am meh on (Celine Dion?) or actively dislike (Edge of Glory), but the performances were quite glorious.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
I thought Pinball Wizard with Unique was one of the highlights of the whole episode, if not the whole season! It had me hoping s/he'll be a regular next year!

And, er ... never heard of Paradise by the Dashboard Light? :shuffle:

I don't expect Tina to suddenly emerge as this new leader next season, but I don't mind a storyline where Tina and the others prevent any of the newcomers from trying to be the new leader of the group.
I totally agree with this. I had JUST been thinking about how marginalized Tina has become this season when they dropped these hints that she might have a larger role next season. :cheer2: The only problem is, I want her hot boyfriend there as well!! :wuzrobbed

michiruwater
05-18-2012, 04:41 AM
I thought the Vocal Adrenaline performances were super boring. Unique has a good voice but was not interesting at all on stage. He mostly just strutted around and did very little dancing while the rest of the 'choir' did theatrics. It was so super phony and... boring. And Unique is no Mercedes.

I loved New Directions, on the other hand, particularly Paradise By The Dashboard Light. I agree that Journey was the best performance they did and they absolutely should have won that, in a world where this show makes sense.

znachki
05-18-2012, 04:46 PM

That's OK. The album that was on - and yes, it was an album. Was "Bat Out of Hell" by Meat Loaf. Which was released in 1977.

The whole song, is actually over 8 minutes long, and has a whole center section where a baseball call about a "home run", is one long metaphor for sex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_YjM4V4fc

I love this album! It just rocks.

The other songs you may have heard of is "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad", http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsW1nDBMEhU "You Took the Words Right out of My Mouth". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnyHCK_w8ac

AshleyN
05-18-2012, 04:47 PM
I agree that Journey was the best performance they did and they absolutely should have won that, in a world where this show makes sense.The funny thing is, that competition featured both my favourite New Directions performance and my favourite Vocal Adrenaline performance (Bohemian Rhapsody). I can't say who should have won, but both are among my all-time favourite Glee numbers.

reckless
05-18-2012, 04:53 PM
This was classic Glee -- having the kids sing something so utterly inappropriate for competition. It goes back to the pilot with Vocal Adrenaline singing Rehab.

Not only Paradise by the Dashboard Light about sex, but the song also is about a bitter couple that hates each other, but feels compelled to stay together because of promises they made to each other when much younger (promises induced by the chance of having sex). Rachel and Finchel singing lead on that song is just perfect irony.

Norlite
05-18-2012, 05:18 PM
This was classic Glee -- having the kids sing something so utterly inappropriate for competition. It goes back to the pilot with Vocal Adrenaline singing Rehab.

Not only Paradise by the Dashboard Light about sex, but the song also is about a bitter couple that hates each other, but feels compelled to stay together because of promises they made to each other when much younger (promises induced by the chance of having sex). Rachel and Finchel singing lead on that song is just perfect irony.

I'm having deja vu. :lol: Didn't we have this conversation before.

The only reason I remember is that I'm sure I told about the time when my daughter (who is 29 now) took dance lessons and one of the songs that she and her troupe of six and seven year old girls performed to at their big year end recital was Papa Don't Preach by Madonna.

I remember giggling and being horrified at the same time.

Latte
05-19-2012, 12:38 AM
When I read the last post, the first thought in my mind was that sounds like something Abby Lee would have her little dancers do on Dance Moms.
Anyone who would them dressed as nearly bare showgirls would do almost anything.

Angela-Fan
05-20-2012, 03:30 AM
I'm catching up on Glee now on hulu. So excited they're covering Taylor swift! :)

AshleyN
05-23-2012, 02:04 AM
ORIGINAL 5!!!