PDA

View Full Version : GLEE: Season 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

michiruwater
12-03-2011, 05:18 PM
I honestly think this season is way better than the 2nd... it's just not enough to really get me excited about the show again. There's still too many of the same issues.

manhn
12-03-2011, 05:23 PM
I am feeling the show fine. Bieste ain't pregnant, right?

michiruwater
12-03-2011, 05:29 PM
I really doubt they've had sex.

nerdycool
12-03-2011, 07:35 PM
But really, I think a let down was bound to happen after the first season. The first season, the main storylines revolved around Rachel, Finn & Quinn and Mr. Schue & Terry. Yeah, there were side storylines with Kurt, Sue and Artie, but for the most part, there were 3 storylines. It was simple.

Season 2 had the writers realizing that Sue was a huge hit so she needed to be involved more, Brittany needed more lines, Santana needed more lines, Blaine & Sam needed storylines, Kurt needed a main storyline, all the while keeping Rachel & Finn up front. It just got too convoluted and combined with the utter failure of themed episodes, season 2 was a mess.

So far, season 3 has exactly the same mess of a problem regarding focus on too many characters. IMHO, the only thing that's saving it so far is that they're picking songs like they did in season 1.

And although I love a lot of the characters on Glee, I really feel they should put more focus back on Rachel. She is Glee. She's grown so much as a person, but we really don't see that anymore because it gets lost behind Santana & Mercedes' diva-ness, Kurt's journey as a gay man and Brittany's air-headed one-liners.

vesperholly
12-03-2011, 08:19 PM
I do like the Puck/Idina storyline, even if it's icky.

It doesn't bother me as much as it should, and it's probably because Mark Salling looks about 33.

AshleyN
12-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Aside from this week's episode and Pot o' Gold, I think this season has been a huge improvement over Season 2. The thing is, at this point, even good Glee is heavily flawed. I'm enjoying it, but I can't imagine they'll ever recapture the magic of the first season.

And although I love a lot of the characters on Glee, I really feel they should put more focus back on Rachel. She is Glee. She's grown so much as a person, but we really don't see that anymore because it gets lost behind Santana & Mercedes' diva-ness, Kurt's journey as a gay man and Brittany's air-headed one-liners.The thing is, Rachel still gets a lot of screentime, probably more than anyone else, she just have much in the way of storylines. She's spent most of her time this season as a supporting player in other character's storylines, either propping up the males in her life (Finn and Kurt) or serving as an obstacle to be overcome (Mercedes). Even the loss of her virginity ended up being up more about Finn and his pain than it was about her. I remember when I heard that Idina was coming back and was really interested to see what they'd do with the fallout from what Shelby did to her in Season 1 - I believe they've had two scenes together so far. Such a waste.

The other thing I've noticed, and this is really symptomatic of the direction the whole show has gone in, is that she doesn't get many opportunities to be funny anymore. It's really a shame, because while Lea can certainly handle the dramatic material they give her, she shines when doing comedy. Other than Jane Lynch she's the strongest comedic actor on the show IMO. "Run Joey Run" is hands down the funniest thing Glee has ever done, in large part due to her performance.

I mean, it's not that I begrudge the fact that they're taking time to spotlight other characters, they're great and they have a lot of talent behind them who deserve the chance to shine. But Rachel Berry was one of the main reasons I fell in the love with Glee way back in the beginning and I kind of miss that girl. Of course, maybe I shouldn't complain. It could be Season 2 again, where they took a strong, independant, driven, and ambitious girl and had her spend approximately 95% of her time pining over a boy. *still bitter*

VIETgrlTerifa
12-04-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm feeling that most are not feeling this season. Hopefully they can right whatever is wrong though I'm still enjoying the show.

Really? I'm feeling that despite some problems, most people are enjoying this season way more than last. I actually see more people actually looking forward to the episodes and enjoying them a lot more. It seems that season 2 had nothing but complaints.

To be honest, a lot of the things people complained about in Glee now were present in season 1. It was just that I think it's a mix of people were more forgiving in season 1 due to having the show still be new and the fact that there are so many characters and thus the show got much more convoluted and inconsistent. The latter is a big deal, of course. That said, I find season 3 doing a much better job streamlining the plots compared to season 2.

all_empty
12-05-2011, 10:22 PM
So I usually get to preview episodes ahead of time.

As reported, Harmony ("Glee Project's" Lindsay) returns for sectionals. She'll be singing "Buenos Aires" from Evita.

The Troubletones mash-up to "Survivor"/"I Will Survive" has already been released.

http://www.toofab.com/2011/12/02/glee-i-will-survive-survivor-mash-up-video/

There are three Jackson songs sung (two Michael, one Janet), one an all-boys number (since there are barely any girls left in New Directions).

Episode includes a great song you probably don't know -- "We Are Young" by Fun.

Just a random note. I was on the Paramount lot a few weeks ago where they film "Glee" and a very sweaty Zach Woodley was behind me in line at the coffee shop. Guess he was doing a ton of choreography for this episode!

michiruwater
12-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Does New Directions have 12 students? Do the Troubletones have 12 students??

Edit: Kay, I can see the Troubletones have all sorts of random Other Females that they got from who-knows-where. That's believable, considering that everyone was so gung-ho to join Glee before.

dramagrrl
12-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Does New Directions have 12 students? Do the Troubletones have 12 students??
New Directions gets the twelve they need to compete at Sectionals by adding random band members (you know, the ones that are always around?) to the glee club.

Also, I guess I can believe that Santana managed to con/blackmail/threaten a bunch of cheerleaders and similar types to join the Troubletones in order for them to meet the 12-member requirement.

nerdycool
12-06-2011, 04:24 AM
I can also believe that Sugar's dad paid girls to join the Troubletones.

The songs for this next episode were all released today, and I must say, We Are Young is amazing! Makes me wonder about what's going on when this is sung though, because it features Rachel, Finn and at other points in the song, it sounds like there are some Troubletone girls joining in (Santana, maybe Brittany and towards the end it sounds like Mercedes belting). And Tina gets a solo on ABC and she sounds awesome!

lmarie086
12-06-2011, 05:07 AM
Ahhh they're doing a Fun song?! I love Fun!! We Are Young is great, I can't wait to see it in the context of the video.

Maybe if they do this, they'll consider Fun's "Be Calm" (my favorite).

Era
12-06-2011, 05:43 AM

The thing is, Rachel still gets a lot of screentime, probably more than anyone else, she just have much in the way of storylines. She's spent most of her time this season as a supporting player in other character's storylines, either propping up the males in her life (Finn and Kurt) or serving as an obstacle to be overcome (Mercedes). Even the loss of her virginity ended up being up more about Finn and his pain than it was about her. I remember when I heard that Idina was coming back and was really interested to see what they'd do with the fallout from what Shelby did to her in Season 1 - I believe they've had two scenes together so far. Such a waste.

The other thing I've noticed, and this is really symptomatic of the direction the whole show has gone in, is that she doesn't get many opportunities to be funny anymore. It's really a shame... But Rachel Berry was one of the main reasons I fell in the love with Glee way back in the beginning and I kind of miss that girl. Of course, maybe I shouldn't complain. It could be Season 2 again, where they took a strong, independant, driven, and ambitious girl and had her spend approximately 95% of her time pining over a boy. *still bitter*

I had to come out of lurking to say how much I agree with this. Season 2 made me really reconsider whether I'd even watch season 3 as I was so angry about what the writers had turned Rachel into.

There have been some good moments in season 3 but Glee isn't funny anymore, and the Rachel I loved in season 1 is gone. They seem to want to continually punish her when she tries to pursue her dreams, and to make her dependent on Finn or Kurt for her happiness. Last week was the final straw for me. They dumbed down Rachel (re: ballot box stuffing) just like they dumbed down Jesse in season 2. They've destroyed most of the female characters on this show and never was it quite so obvious as in this episode. Do the writers hate women that much?

I'm now resorting to DVR'ing the show so that I can fast forward to the singing, though even the music choices haven't been great so far, and ignore the rest.

nerdycool
12-06-2011, 06:01 AM
They've destroyed most of the female characters on this show and never was it quite so obvious as in this episode. Do the writers hate women that much?That's the feeling a lot of people got while watching the Glee Project, where the writers got the say in who stayed and who went. Ryan Murphy especially gave off this vibe of only letting some females through only because he almost had to, to keep people from crying foul.

Orable
12-07-2011, 01:15 AM
Champagne in a high school. For serious?