PDA

View Full Version : GLEE: Season 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

KikiSashaFan
11-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Having Rory (aka an actual teenager) in the New Directions makes Puck and Finn look like senior citizens by comparison.

PRlady
11-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Having Rory (aka an actual teenager) in the New Directions makes Puck and Finn look like senior citizens by comparison.

When Puck was lusting after Shelby and talking about the age difference I was :rofl: Mark Salling only looks a few years younger than Idina does.

They make a hot couple but I sort of squirm at this storyline.

DarrellH
11-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Finn did not run around and tell everyone that Santana was a lesbian. It was overheard. Subtle, but I think there is enough of a difference, that THAT will be what lets Santana ultimately make peace with Finn..

olympic
11-16-2011, 03:31 PM
I loved 'Hot for Teacher'. The way they used a lot of the choreography from the original Van Halen video was :respec:

AshleyN
11-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Okay, I don't always agree with TLo on Glee, but they basically nailed my feelings on the whole Santana/Finn situation, especially with the last paragraph:

Glee has a problem with bullying.

We don’t mean “has a problem” in the “doesn’t like it and wants to confront it” it sense, although the show is desperate for you to see it that way. No, we mean Glee has a problem with bullying in that they want to appear as the stalwarts in the fight against teen bullying except they’ve used bullying as a source of comedy since the show began. Put more bluntly (and in a more damning manner): Glee thinks bullying is hilarious until someone bullies a gay character.

This was always the case with this show. It was hilarious to throw Kurt into a dumpster in the first episode because he hadn’t identified as gay yet (even if it was ridiculously obvious to anyone with a head). It continued to be hilarious to throw Slushees in his face and call him demeaning nicknames all through most of the first season. Then Kurt came out of the closet and nary an unkind word or action was allowed against his person. To be fair, the point Glee clumsily tried to make last season with the Kurt storyline was that the bullying from Karofsky had taken a decidedly darker and potentially more violent turn, which made it a bit more dangerous than a Slushee or even a slur. Fine. It was badly handled, but we understood what they were trying to do. But with Santana, we have a character who has gradually become harsher and harsher to the people around her and by the time she dropped that Sue Sylvester-esque insult bomb on Finn in the hallway, we found ourselves in the curious position of cheering Finn on for using her own self-loathing over her sexuality as a defense against her.

We don’t think there was anything remotely bad about what Finn said to Santana. Can we just stop here and say how weird it is that the gays at McKinley keep needling Finn until he lashes out and hurts them? Couldn’t the writers have come up with a different foil for Santana? It’s almost making Finn look anti-gay as a character and we doubt that was the intent. But Santana surely deserved to be taken to task by Finn and he was completely dead-on to point out that all her anger and ugliness was coming from a place of self-loathing. It’s been fairly clear for some time now that the school knows about Santana, so we don’t actually consider what Finn did “outing” her.

No, what bothers us is that right up until the moment Finn dropped the L Word on her, all of Santana’s nastiness was treated like a joke. And to be fair, she does get some incredibly funny lines. But it’s a poor way to discuss bullying to have your victim be a bully herself and expect the audience to feel for her when a tiny little bit of what she’s been dishing out to everyone around her finally lands back on her. That final musical number was devastating, and Naya Rivera played her emotional turmoil beautifully, but it’s a little hard – even as gay people ourselves – to not think that she deserved some sort of blowback for the way she treats everyone. Should she be outed in a political ad? Of course not. But we’ll be mighty pissed if Finn is forced to beg forgiveness for what happened to her.

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2011/11/mashoff.html#disqus_thread

PeterG
11-16-2011, 07:59 PM
The Santana B/S is getting way OTT

Okay, I've always been a Santana lover but lately she's really starting to cross the line from amusingly bitchy to just flat out nasty and unpleasant to watch. I'm spending more and more time hoping for someone to punch her in the face.

I wish Santana would just go away

Santana only got part of what's coming to her IMO. I'm really glad I'm not the only one who noticed how horrible she's been lately. :revenge:

As for Santana? Am I the only one who isn't feeling sorry for her? Karma is a bitch.

I have no sympathy for Santana, she's a bully and is finally finding out that words hurt.

I refuse to feel sorry for Santana. I hate "assholes who aren't assholes because they're sooooo sad!!! and they're sooo funny and hot too!!!" characters. HATE! Why can't a bitch be a bitch because she's a bitch? Depth is overrated.

People bully others for a reason. Glee is showing us one of the reasons why.

I'm wondering....is directing any form of negativity at a bully another form of bullying? Santana and Karofsky were aware of homophobia since they were children, and now when they are becoming more aware of their sexuality, have decided to bash others instead of take the bashing. It's either that, or go inwards, where you bash yourself mentally, along with all the other bashing that comes your way. Which often results in suicide. I know of two other gay males from my high school years. They both killed themselves.

nerdycool
11-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Great mashup by the other group but seriously, how are they going to compete at Sectionals if they only have seven people? I guess they're going to throw out that whole twelve member group rule. :blah: I was wondering, too. But I think they're going to resolve it by the next episode... the previews show Santana and Brittany in the ND classroom, and another part of the preview shows members of both groups performing together. Now, it could be that Will and Shelby are forcing everyone to "kiss & make up" by doing an assignment together. But I think they're going to have to join out of necessity.

judiz
11-16-2011, 11:36 PM
People bully others for a reason. Glee is showing us one of the reasons why.

I'm wondering....is directing any form of negativity at a bully another form of bullying? Santana and Karofsky were aware of homophobia since they were children, and now when they are becoming more aware of their sexuality, have decided to bash others instead of take the bashing. It's either that, or go inwards, where you bash yourself mentally, along with all the other bashing that comes your way. Which often results in suicide. I know of two other gay males from my high school years. They both killed themselves.

I was bullied all my school years, I had a really bad speech impediment and I lost count how many kids would laugh in my face, call me a baby or a retard because I could not speak clearly. I even had adults who would make fun of me or ignore me because of my speech. I understand what it feels like to be left out of friendships etc but Santana was not experiencing that. She was a cheerleader, she had friends, she did not have to lash out at those who did her no harm. Karofsky went after Kurt because he saw himself in Kurt, what reason did Santana have to lash out at Finn over and over? Why go after Rory who made Brittany so happy?

manhn
11-16-2011, 11:41 PM
And then you have fans attacking Artie whenever he has the audacity to show a flaw. I am sure his life is sooo easy.

PRlady
11-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Santana made it clear her childhood was no bed of roses. ("Garbage face"?) And if she hates herself because of her sexual orientation it doesn't matter that she's a cheerleader.

I was only bullied in school a bit when very young. And then I used my sharp wit and sharp tongue to defend myself and ensure that no-one picked on me. I sure wasn't as mean as Santana, ever, but I was dealing with demons as well. Sometimes the aggressive girls are also hurting.

Which doesn't excuse her incredible meanness, it just explains it.

numbers123
11-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Santana made it clear her childhood was no bed of roses. ("Garbage face"?) And if she hates herself because of her sexual orientation it doesn't matter that she's a cheerleader.

This is kind of what I got out of the episode. Not so much that she was being bullied by Finn and others that was the problem, but the (assumed) abuse at home. If the story line goes as I think it would, we would find out that Santana was not only physically and emotionally abused but sexually abused, which would fit why she is the bully in school. As well as the breast implants and other story lines. I would also guess that Santana would be kicked out/disowned by her family of origin if it was discovered her sexual orientation. Unlike Quinn, whose mother came to her support and Mike, whose mother came to her support, I would hazard a guess that Santana would have no one to support her or love her.

AshleyN
11-17-2011, 12:29 AM
It's worth pointing out that Santana's attacks go beyond verbal (although I'm personally of the opinion that verbal attacks can be just as damaging as physical). Everyone is talking about the scene where Santana rips Finn in the hallway, but I thought the one where she leads the cheerleaders in pummeling the poor Irish kid for no reason whatsoever and then laughed when she realized he was legitimately hurt was just as bad or worse. She's also physically threatened other members of the club at other times, most notably Rachel on a few different occasions. Only in those cases it's played for laughs, which wouldn't be nearly as frustrating if I hadn't sat through a season's worth of "OMG, bullying is wrong you guys!" last year.

And then you have fans attacking Artie whenever he has the audacity to show a flaw. I am sure his life is sooo easy.I'm still bitter about Artie being portrayed as the villian in his breakup with Brittany because he got upset and said something dumb when calling her out on the fact that she cheated on him.

DaveRocks
11-17-2011, 12:33 AM
It's worth pointing out that Santana's attacks go beyond verbal (although I'm personally of the opinion that verbal attacks can be just as damaging as physical). Everyone is talking about the scene where Santana rips Finn in the hallway, but I thought the one where she leads the cheerleaders in pummeling the poor Irish kid for no reason whatsoever and then laughed when she realized he was legitimately hurt was just as bad or worse. She's also physically threatened other members of the club at other times, most notably Rachel on a few different occasions. Only in those cases it's played for laughs, which wouldn't be nearly as frustrating if I hadn't sat through a season's worth of "OMG, bullying is wrong you guys!" last year.
[/I]

She also slapped Finn in the face really hard. If it was the other way around, all hell would break loose.

KikiSashaFan
11-17-2011, 12:42 AM
According to the info on my guide It shows Santana coming out to her family in the next episode. I'm curious to see more of her home life.

PeterG
11-17-2011, 01:30 AM
I understand what it feels like to be left out of friendships etc but Santana was not experiencing that. She was a cheerleader, she had friends, she did not have to lash out at those who did her no harm. Karofsky went after Kurt because he saw himself in Kurt, what reason did Santana have to lash out at Finn over and over? Why go after Rory who made Brittany so happy?

I grew up with friends and family saying homophobic things to me. Even after I came out in my twenties, people let things slip. Just because you have friends and family, doesn't mean things are all good.

One really important thing to keep in mind with young gay people: Children of colour deal with racism and go home to their family of colour. Jewish keeps deal with anti-semitism and go home to their Jewish family. Gay children go home...and instead of having people to turn to, usually have the same oppressive sh** aimed at them that they just had to eat all day long. There is no break for gay kids (usually).