PDA

View Full Version : GLEE: Season 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

skatingfan5
11-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Of course she was, and overprotected by her big brother in a very macho culture. That's part of the plot, she was brought from Puerto Rico in a basically-arranged marriage to Chico.:shuffle: Chino. ;)

It was a great episode -- one of the best I've seen this season (which I'm afraid hasn't been that many :(). WSS's score is so strong that songs I've heard hundreds of times before still get to me on an emotional level.

Yes, I know that, but why did Artie feel Rachel needed "that" experience to be able to play a virginal character?Maria is a virgin at the beginning of WSS, but that changes over the course of the second act.

michiruwater
11-09-2011, 11:14 PM
This episode was great :)

Kurt and Blaine were adorable. Tina's story was lovely and surprising. I didn't think they'd go that far.

So... is Emma the only main member of the cast who hasn't lost it at this point? :shuffle: That's a little odd.

AshleyN
11-09-2011, 11:29 PM
The WSS stuff was good, but "Uptown Girl" was such a random head scatcher of a song selection.It was pretty blatently stuck in there for the sake of iTunes sales. Warblers numbers are pretty much guaranteed to sell.

And sadly it worked - despite being easily the worst song of the episode it's charting the highest on iTunes. Unfortunately, unless it's an absolute showstopper (eg. Don't Rain on My Parade, I Dreamed a Dream, Defying Gravity) showtunes don't tend to sell nearly as well as pop songs.

dramagrrl
11-09-2011, 11:30 PM
So... is Emma the only main member of the cast who hasn't lost it at this point? :shuffle: That's a little odd.
Emma, Coach Beiste (probz not for long with her new boyfriend, though), and possibly Mercedes (no confirmation on whether she's slept with Shane yet). A woman with serious OCD and two plus-sized women. Awesome message the show is sending there! :rolleyes:

AshleyN
11-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Emma, Coach Beiste (probz not for long with her new boyfriend, though), and possibly Mercedes (no confirmation on whether she's slept with Shane yet). A woman with serious OCD and two plus-sized women. Awesome message the show is sending there! :rolleyes:Honestly, the way they handle women's virginity on this show has always been kind of icky. It was painfully obvious in the first two seasons that they were "saving" Rachel and Emma for Finn and Will, respectively (notice, it wasn't important to "save" Finn for Rachel). Having Emma remain a virgin even after being MARRIED was absurd, and though I thought the rest of the storyline was well-done I really could have done without Rachel's line last night about how she was going to "give him" something no one else would get. Given the fact that Rachel/Finn and Emma/Will have been the show's two flagship couples from the start it has these really gross, old-fashioned overtones of a woman's virginity being some precious commodity or prize to be won.

VIETgrlTerifa
11-09-2011, 11:48 PM
It reminds me of the book The Purity Myth (http://www.amazon.com/Purity-Myth-Americas-Obsession-Virginity/dp/1580052533).

That said, I was happy Tina finally had a rational response after Quinn and Santana's idiotic statements. And I know it sort of contradicts my own idea about the whole virginity/purity myth, but it's nice to see a show about teenaged girls and guys that talk about saving yourself until they feel it's right because we have had so many messages from shows aimed at teens that overly sexualizes characters and their characters are encouraged to think that they are mature enough to have sex and give it away like it's nothing and yet still be empowered. Truth is that a lot of people use sex as a way of being accepted, not for their own personal enjoyment, and think they have to partake in this behavior just because it's expected.

Theatregirl1122
11-10-2011, 04:20 AM
It was pretty blatently stuck in there for the sake of iTunes sales. Warblers numbers are pretty much guaranteed to sell.

And sadly it worked - despite being easily the worst song of the episode it's charting the highest on iTunes. Unfortunately, unless it's an absolute showstopper (eg. Don't Rain on My Parade, I Dreamed a Dream, Defying Gravity) showtunes don't tend to sell nearly as well as pop songs.

Well, I have to say that, despite being my least favorite number of the show, Uptown Girl is the one that is currently VICIOUSLY stuck in my head. So perhaps everyone who bought it was just trying to get rid of an earworm. ;)

all_empty
11-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Here's the Adele mash-up from next week that I referred to last week. It was just as awesome in person!

http://www.toofab.com/2011/11/10/glee-adele-someone-like-you-rumour-has-it-video/

Enjoy!

Latte
11-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Oh HELL NO, you scrawny twink scarecrow, don't you be stealin' Kurt's boy! :mad: :lol:

(And Blaine, ENOUGH with the bow ties, you look like Orville Redenbacher.)

The bow ties were getting to me too. I just couldn't believe that this was how the fashionable gay boy dressed!:D

Oh, and I just LOVE Coach Bestie! I think she might be my favorite person on the show.:encore::encore:

Orable
11-11-2011, 03:27 AM
Finally just saw this ep and I have to say - it may be my favorite from all three seasons! Warm, tatefully done, sweet and even a bit uncomfortable at times. Loved it! Plus, how smoking was Santana as Anita? :o

the warblers arent as good w/o blaine, no wonder he got all the solos
Ha, my thoughts exactly -their new lead guy is kinda nasally :lol: They all kinda dance funny, herky-jerky, if that's not a word I made up in my head. :shuffle:

I also like this one because I finally see a real connection between Kurt and Blaine. I never understood why this relationship was so popular since they seemed to have very little sexual chemistry together, but this episode changed that and I'm glad to see going to that seedy gay bar (which was so not glamorous, but I guess in Lima you have to take what you can get) solidified Blaine's and Kurt's personality a bit more.
Totally! This ep wasn't just about moving the plot forward, but it was about showing more of who Blaine, Kurt, Artie, Tina and Finn are to viewers and also having the characters themselves acknowledge their own growth (Rachel, Karovsky, Bieste, Mike). Loved it!

Btw, is Matt Morrison doing some other show right now? Why hasn't he been featured prominently in the last few eps? As much as I hate Mr. Schue, I like MM and I miss seeing him on my screen :lol:

Finally, I don't know if you guys think that this is controversial, but a friend of mine was really upset at Brittney's characterization of her first time. My friend says that it seemed that Brittney was basically raped by that guy in the tent ("alien invasion") and that the writers are making a joke of the whole thing bc she's Brittney and no one is supposed to take her seriously.

Having watched it, I don't know what to think - she doesn't seem to outrightly acknowledge one way or the other whether she consented. What do you guys think?

DianeO
11-11-2011, 03:40 AM
Yes, I know that, but why did Artie feel Rachel needed "that" experience to be able to play a virginal character?

To spark the ridiculous plot of this episode :rolleyes:

HeatherC
11-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Btw, is Matt Morrison doing some other show right now? Why hasn't he been featured prominently in the last few eps? As much as I hate Mr. Schue, I like MM and I miss seeing him on my screen.

I follow him on Twitter and he hasn't tweeted as much lately (the rest of the cast tweets non stop, LOL) so I bet he has had some concerts or something else going on where it took him away for a few episodes. I was wondering about that too this week. Hopefully he's back full time again soon. :)

vesperholly
11-11-2011, 06:08 AM
I can't believe everyone liked this episode! I thought it was boring, bizarre, and oddly paced. My issues:

• why are we still visiting the Warblers? WHO CARES. Blaine's storyline could've been done without that nonsense visit and random Billy Joel song, which was so cheesily staged with the teacher. And I actually love Uptown Girl.

• after all that sturm-und-drang about the musical, that's all we got? Mercedes smiling in the stands peacefully? They cut Rachel and Blaine's big number? I did love their rendition of One Hand, One Heart — better than the original.

• Loved Santana (and Tina!) in America. Great rendition.

• I completely agree with Ashley N's post about how they handle sex on the show. Pretty icky that the guys are complete tramps and the women are vestal virgins (except for Brittany and one would assume Santana).

• Didn't miss Sue at all. I'm glad they didn't try to force her in.

• Did love the Bieste subplot, even if they were a little anvil-icious with it. Dot-Marie Jones is the best.

• WTF Karofsky?

Bostonfan
11-11-2011, 02:04 PM
I agree. GLEE is positively cringe-worthy to me. The "plots" surrounding the musical numbers dims my enjoyment of the numbers. I do love many of their songs, which is why I can only tolerate recording the show and then fast-forwarding it to just view the numbers. And I come here to get a basic overview of what the story was about. That's as much as I can take.

skatingfan5
11-11-2011, 03:11 PM
^ à chacun son goût