PDA

View Full Version : GLEE: Season 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

VIETgrlTerifa
10-05-2011, 08:47 PM
It's funny how I'm totally the opposite of you.

I think this season is already more interesting than last season. As for the other characters being pushed aside for Rachel, I don't think that's as true anymore. Santana, Brittany, and Mercedes all had great solos so far and chances to show off their voices/personalities. The character who has really gotten the shaft with season 2 and season 3 emphasizing new characters is Tina. It seems like all of the singing parts and storylines that used to be given to her is now given to Santana/Brittany.

I also used to think Rachel was insufferable, but I find her to be one of the more sympathetic ones now just because it seems that the writers are intent in making the whole school (including members of the Glee club) just hate on her and find ways to humiliate her in comparison to other like characters like Quinn, Mercedes, Santana, Brittany, Kurt, Puck, Zizes, etc. who can be as unlikeable and yet the other characters aren't as nasty towards them.

Theatregirl1122
10-05-2011, 08:51 PM
I disagree that Quinn's change of heart on Glee club was an about face. She made it pretty clear that it wasn't when she told puck that she was willing to pretend to care about glee in order to see Beth. That seems reasonable to me. Santana's was just a "oops, we need Santana back now and we don't have any real plot reason for it!" moment.

kwanatic
10-05-2011, 10:00 PM
^^I guess that's true about Quinn. But how many times has she quit the club now? LOL!

I agree that they are trying to distribute the story a bit more, but I'm sure that has to do with the fact that half of the cast is leaving next season, so it's kinda like a last "hoorah" for the members who will be leaving.

Yeah, Tina has been swept out so far...maybe they'll give her something to do later.

As for Rachel being unlikable, it's still a little too unbearable for me. I mean all of the characters have their flaws; but the fact that Rachel's main flaw is selfishness stands out more b/c she's in a club where she's supposed to work together as a team with everyone, yet she's all about "me me me" and how she can use the glee club to boost her up to where she needs to be. I find her character funny and annoying at the same time, but I know if I had a classmate like that in real life I never would have been friends with her. Those are the kind of people you can never truly be friends with b/c they won't think twice about stabbing you in the back if it benefits them. Case in point: Rachel running for class president over Kurt b/c she wants to "leave her mark" on the school before she graduates. Kurt's reason is more noble; he actually wants to make things better at the school...

Rachel annoys me. The season is okay so far but like I said, I'm less excited to watch than I've been in the past...

AshleyN
10-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Case in point: Rachel running for class president over Kurt b/c she wants to "leave her mark" on the school before she graduates. Kurt's reason is more noble; he actually wants to make things better at the school...Rachel's reason for running is the same as Kurt's: to boost her resume for her NYADA application. Not the noblest move, but not really an unforgiveable offence IMO, especially since it was basically a panic move. I'm curious to see if they'll have her stay in the race now that she's gotten Maria.

I do like how Mercedes pointed out how no one ever wants to hurt Rachel's feelings by being honest with her.That was the funniest line of the whole episode. Like I said earlier, Rachel gets dumped on more than any other character on the show and always has. I'm pretty sure she's been insulted by every person on the show at one point or another.

Honestly, it's not that I don't get why people don't like her, I do. She's definitely selfish and unabashedly competitive (the latter is actually one of my favourite things about her, in large part because it leads to a lot of her funniest moments, but milage varies obviously). But she's also shown herself to be incredibly empathatic at times. How many times has she been shown reaching out to Quinn despite the fact that Quinn has never been anything but awful to her, and in fact went out of her way to torture her long before she was even in Glee Club? Hell, even after Quinn slapped her across the face for no reason she turned around and comforted her. She was also the first person to actually try to do something about the bullying situation with Kurt last season, and the Hummelberry friendship really began after she reached out to him when she saw that he was lonely and hurting.

The thing is, I like that she's not always likeable. She's messy and complicated, with both good qualities and bad and that's why I love her, but I can understand why other people don't. Doesn't mean I'm not going to defend her wherever possible though;)

I will say though, I'm totally with you on the Finn/Rachel thing*. One of the big reasons I fell in love with Rachel in the first place was because I was so happy to see a teenage girl on television, specifically a lead character, with goals and ambitions and interests beyond boys. The fact that that pretty much got tossed out the window in favour of Finn!obsessedRachel was probably my single biggest issue with Season 2 (which is saying something, considering how many issues I had with Season 2). Thankfully, they seemed to have righted the ship in that regard, at least for now - though I still reserve the right to kick Ryan Murphy in the balls if they even think about having her sacrifice New York to stay behind with Finn.

*Though I have to confess, I did find Finn's "YES!!" when Rachel won the coin toss rather adorable. If they can restrict the Finchel stuff to small bits of cute like that, I might be able to accept them.

dramagrrl
10-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Kurt's reason is more noble; he actually wants to make things better at the school...
I do think Rachel's sudden motivation to run for president was a bitch move, but I also don't think Kurt's motivation is any more noble. He has made it very clear that the main reason he's running and needs to win is to put it on his transcript to help him get into NYADA. The making things better part is just bonus.

walei
10-06-2011, 02:23 AM
I enjoyed the episode. LOVE LOVE LOVE Mike Chang. Reading the above posts, I know I wasn't the only one wanting him to rip his tank tops off also when he took off his jacket and started dancing.

Although I do wish they flesh out his relationship with his mother more. Maybe a scene with his dad scolding him with his mom looking uneasy and sympathetic.

I almost died when they started singing Fix You. That is one of my favorite songs!!!! So well done by Matthew Morrison.

As for Mercedes-Rachel rivalry, it really does kind of get old now we're in season 3. They fight, they diva off, they made up, repeat in six months. I hope this time Mercedes' story arc ends with them actually come to terms with the rivalry. I also hope they can keep Finn-Rachel romance story wayyy in the background like this episode did for a while. Finn's reaction to the coin toss was hilarious!

judiz
10-06-2011, 03:16 AM
I do think Rachel's sudden motivation to run for president was a bitch move, but I also don't think Kurt's motivation is any more noble. He has made it very clear that the main reason he's running and needs to win is to put it on his transcript to help him get into NYADA. The making things better part is just bonus.

Given that Rachel was the one who suggested to Kurt that he run for president, she had no right to put herself in the election. Besides, in the episode with the yearbook pictures, Rachel mentioned that she was a member of every club at the school, quite enough for her college application.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-06-2011, 03:18 AM
She has every right to put herself in the election. Now, should she have is a different question. Anyway, she may be part of almost every club in school, but people get desperate when it comes to college applications. Also, I think Rachel is afraid that her worst fear is coming true...that she's not that special. So, it's obvious why she clung on to the idea of being Student Body President.

screech
10-06-2011, 05:59 AM
I just don't get why Rachel wouldn't run for vice president instead. Still good on the resume, no? And it wouldn't hurt her friendship with Kurt (heck, they'd get to work together!)

I loved Abs McGee getting an actual storyline, though I found it was resolved (at least with his mother) too quickly and easily. I would have liked to see more conflict there, since he'll probably get pushed back to the background now that he's had a storyline.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-06-2011, 06:40 AM
He's lucky. He's already had more storyline than Tina has had in the whole series. :P

MarieM
10-06-2011, 08:05 AM
I want more and more and more of Mike Chang. And I miss Puck. I want them both. Now !

PRlady
10-06-2011, 12:11 PM
It looks like you're getting more Puck in the Shelby/Quinn storyline. The preview had something looking vaguely cougarish with Shelby. Now that would be a hot couple.

Anything that gives Idina an excuse to sing is good in my book.

BelleBway
10-07-2011, 04:01 AM
Just caught up on this week's glee... LOVED all the Mike Chang stuff!

I just didn't see how Mercedes' audition was supposed to be so clearly so much better than Rachel's. Plus, the role of Maria really calls for innocence (at least until the last scene) so, really, I thought that the song choice/performance wasn't a good way to judge who'd be better in that particular role. Especially for Mercedes- we all know she can belt and diva like no one's business... but could she pull off innocent love? I still have no idea. (Rachel is supposed to have acting experience so I can buy it more from her)

I also thought it was a jerk move for Rachel to run for president, especially since she's always been so focused with tunnel vision on performing. And you don't do that to someone who's supposed to be a friend. I loved that Kurt called her on that.

Latte
10-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Loved Mike and his mom and the Dreamgirls fantasy. The show really is much better when focusing on its own characters -- it's not like there aren't enough storylines!

I figure we're about due for a Finn episode. Sigh. He's such a boring all-American jock.

I also think he looks way to old to be in high school.

Latte
10-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Hmm... as a singer myself, I tend to disagree with you. Amber has the more power and is more pleasant to watch. Lea is one of the ugliest singers I have ever seen-- I'm not talking about her voice or her looks-- It's the way she contorts herself when she sings. She is the one I don't like. I've had enough of her, and can't wait for her to graduate. But having said that, she was better for Maria.

And also-- the character Mercedes was pissed off because only certain people had to come to Glee Bootie Camp. Great directors know how to work with their talent-- Mr. Shue is wasting Mercedes by making her dance.

I have to agree about Lea making ugly faces while she sings. It is distracting to the song and some times it just is contrary to what the song is about.
Telling someone you love them while making a face that looks like you are having cramps is not very romantic!:D