PDA

View Full Version : GLEE: Season 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

manhn
10-05-2011, 06:43 AM
That was a great episode. Spotlight is probably my favourite Mercedes solo song. And the Dreamgirls scene was epic.

I don't understand Rachel wanting to be President. How does she expect to beat Brittany?

MarieM
10-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Brittany and Mike are EPIC.
Who would have thought they'd become that great ? :lol:

I am tired of Mercedes story. She's like the GP runner up Alex : not likable. Great voice, bad acting, bad attitude. Boo.
And knowing now how he writes for his actors, I kind of think she's like that in life too !

cruisin
10-05-2011, 01:54 PM
That was a great episode. Spotlight is probably my favourite Mercedes solo song. And the Dreamgirls scene was epic.

I don't understand Rachel wanting to be President. How does she expect to beat Brittany?

Yeah, that bothered me too. Not so much that she wouldn't beat Brittany, but it was rather obnoxious to do that to Kurt. I thought that was just as childish as Mercedes whining. Agree, that the Rachel/Mercedes story line is played out and trite.

AshleyN
10-05-2011, 02:53 PM
I don't understand Rachel wanting to be President. How does she expect to beat Brittany?Seriously, that storyline is stupid. High school elections are a popularity contest, and everybody hates Rachel, while it was only a few months ago that Kurt's classmates voted him Prom Queen in an attempt to humiliate him. Neither one of them would have a shot against Brittany.

nerdycool
10-05-2011, 02:54 PM
I am tired of Mercedes story. She's like the GP runner up Alex : not likable. Great voice, bad acting, bad attitude. Boo.
And knowing now how he writes for his actors, I kind of think she's like that in life too !That's an interesting point I haven't thought of. It does make one wonder...

But I'll give Amber the benefit of doubt for this one, and assume she's just a really good actress. Naya Rivera is supposedly really nice IRL, as is Ashley Fink... so it is possible for Ryan to write a character different than the actors' actual personality.

Bev Johnston
10-05-2011, 03:22 PM
The only thing that would've made Mike Chang's scenes better is if he'd done them shirtless. All of them.

dramagrrl
10-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Agree, that the Rachel/Mercedes story line is played out and trite.
I don't necessarily disagree, but, well, that could be said about the majority of the storylines on this show. Did we really need to rehash the Quinn/Finn/Rachel triangle for half the freaking season last year? How many times has either Quinn or Santana decided to bond with Sue to do dastardly deeds and then realized that her true allegiance is with New Directions? And every few episodes, we get "Rachel doubts herself because nobody likes her, but then it seems like maybe they do like her or at least respect her talent, so everything's okay!"

At the very least, this is probably the first time that the Rachel vs. Mercedes storyline has been looked at from the point of view of how Mercedes has been systematically ignored or passed over in favour of Rachel. In previous Rachel vs. Mercedes eps, it was all about Rachel herself thinking she was better than Mercedes and realizing that wasn't always the case, or Mercedes being upset that Rachel got all the solos, but not confronting anyone but Rachel over the issue. Schuester has definitely overlooked Mercedes' talent many times. The one time she was going to have a big solo was Sectionals in first season, when Schue was on self-imposed hiatus from running glee club due to the mattress disqualification nonsense. She didn't even end up actually getting that solo because of Sue leaking the setlist and Rachel having to sub in at the last minute. She had to speak up for herself to get Schue to consider giving her a larger part in Rocky Horror. The only time she had a major moment in the spotlight in Season 2 was when the glee kids essentially put on a show for themselves in "Night of Neglect", and even then, it was by default because Rachel chose to let her close the show.

All this nonsense about Mercedes not working hard enough to deserve solos was also a total retcon that started with Jesse St. James making the comment about her being lazy at the end of last season. Before that, we never had any indication that she didn't work as hard as anyone else (Rachel aside). She wanted a solo at Regionals, so she wrote an original song. She was shown leading her church choir, which takes commitment. And she's never danced any less than the second-rank dancers (Santana, Brittany, and Mike have always handled the majority of front-row/fancy choreography, while the others in the club have varying abilities and generally get hidden behind clever camera angles when complicated choreo is happening) until the last few episodes.

flutzilla1
10-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Yeah, that bothered me too. Not so much that she wouldn't beat Brittany, but it was rather obnoxious to do that to Kurt. I thought that was just as childish as Mercedes whining. Agree, that the Rachel/Mercedes story line is played out and trite.

I agree. Why would she do that to Kurt? I mean she FINALLY has a real BFF, and she's gonna toss it all away for something she wasn't even interested in before the last half of this episode? :confused:

I am not sure what the writers' intention is, but Mercedes' behavior this entire episode made me really, really dislike her, especially her spoiled brat attitude about the double casting! :mad: ITA with the poster who likened Mercedes' character to GP's Alex (then again maybe this was deliberate because Alex is supposed to be getting a 2 ep arc?). I was surprised frankly that none of the other Glee kids were calling her out on her rotten behavior in the non-singing portions of the show.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-05-2011, 04:05 PM
As much as I disliked Mercedes last episode, (which I think Amber Riley did a fantastic job of), I have to say that she has a point about the double casting. However, I don't know if Mercedes' voice actually fit the role of Maria. I have trouble hearing Mercedes singing "Tonight" or "I Feel Pretty" or "A Boy Like That/I Have a Love."

BTW, I know that Blaine wanted the role of Officer Krupkie or Bernardo as to not compete with Kurt, but you'd think he'd go for Riff because in the stage version, Bernardo's role is much smaller (with no songs really until the Tonight Quartet) and Officer Krupkie has no songs. Unless Blaine was afraid that him being Riff would have ruined Kurt's Tony because there would have been too much sexual chemistry between Tony and Riff.

MarieM
10-05-2011, 04:23 PM
The only thing that would've made Mike Chang's scenes better is if he'd done them shirtless. All of them.

Yummie. Nope. Bad idea. Very bad idea. Or we won't be able to see him at all after that : we'll all die of heart pleasures.:swoon::swoon::swoon:

cruisin
10-05-2011, 04:31 PM
I am not sure what the writers' intention is, but Mercedes' behavior this entire episode made me really, really dislike her, especially her spoiled brat attitude about the double casting! :mad:

Absolutely! That was what really got me. When they announced that they couldn't choose and were going to double cast, not just split the planned performances, but add a whole new set, that should have made her happy. I could see Rachel getting miffed, that she wasn't the "chosen one", but Mercedes was vindicated as equal. Why did she have to be made to look like such a bitch? This could have been an opportunity to let them work it out.

AshleyN
10-05-2011, 07:05 PM
All this nonsense about Mercedes not working hard enough to deserve solos was also a total retcon that started with Jesse St. James making the comment about her being lazy at the end of last season.Not really, it goes way back to the very first mash-up competition in Season 1, when Rachel wanted to practice and Mercedes convinced the others to blow it off and wing-it instead. There's also the fact that during that first sectionals competition she apparently didn't have anything else in her repetoire to sing after they found out that the other school had stolen "And I Am Telling You", which is why they had to turn to Rachel to haul a show-stopper out of her butt at the last minute (and lets be honest, you know "Don't Rain on My Parade" wasn't the only thing she had prepped and ready to go).

Sadly, it's probably one of the few examples of consistent characterization on the show.

Having said that, I do think it's absurd that she hasn't had even one competition solo. I mean, Quinn and Brittany have and she hasn't? Really? I have a feeling that that's what her current arc is really leading to: a big solo at either Sectionals or Regionals (I can't imagine it won't be Rachel for Nationals, especially with Lea "graduating" this season).

Jayar
10-05-2011, 07:11 PM
I am so sick of the Rachel vs. Mercedes storyline. (a) Totally repetitive, it's been done at least 3 other times before (Sectionals in Season 1, the diva-off inspired by Sue's rumors in Season 2, and the Night of Neglect in Season 2) and (b) I think it's a load of crap that Amber Riley can sing anywhere near as well as Lea Michele and it doesn't matter how many times the producers push this idea on me, I'm not going to buy it.

Hmm... as a singer myself, I tend to disagree with you. Amber has the more power and is more pleasant to watch. Lea is one of the ugliest singers I have ever seen-- I'm not talking about her voice or her looks-- It's the way she contorts herself when she sings. She is the one I don't like. I've had enough of her, and can't wait for her to graduate. But having said that, she was better for Maria.

And also-- the character Mercedes was pissed off because only certain people had to come to Glee Bootie Camp. Great directors know how to work with their talent-- Mr. Shue is wasting Mercedes by making her dance.

Theatregirl1122
10-05-2011, 08:28 PM
I think the rival Glee club is a, hey, we know we went too far with Sue Sylvester as Uber Villain, but we haven't come up with a good solution to filling the Henchman Gap.

That was my feeling, too.

BTW, I know that Blaine wanted the role of Officer Krupkie or Bernardo as to not compete with Kurt, but you'd think he'd go for Riff because in the stage version, Bernardo's role is much smaller (with no songs really until the Tonight Quartet) and Officer Krupkie has no songs. Unless Blaine was afraid that him being Riff would have ruined Kurt's Tony because there would have been too much sexual chemistry between Tony and Riff.

Or he knew that Mike wanted Riff. They also forgot Action, who starts Officer Krupke in the stage version. (I think Riff does it in the movie? I can't remember now, but I thought they did Officer Krupke before he died in the film.)

kwanatic
10-05-2011, 08:32 PM
The episode was good...

I guess I'd side with Mercedes simply b/c I'm sick of Rachel. The Finn/Rachel storyline is very played out IMO, to the point where I'm almost ready to change the channel whenever they have a scene. IDK, there was just too much I love you/I don't love you/You love Quinn/but you love Jesse/blah/blah/angst/angst/angst:blah:...it got annoying fast.

I'm SO grateful that they are branching out from those two characters this season. I think the thing with Mike and his parents and the Asian F was hilarious and really sweet. His Riff audition was awesome as well and my favorite moment of the night...and yeah, shirtless would have been better.:swoon:

I love it when they give Brittany stuff to do, and I'm noticing that they are actually giving Heather Morris singing parts now, whereas before she was mainly a dancer. Her "Run the World" thing was awesome (2nd favorite moment)! Beyonce should be proud and she probably is; Heather used to dance with Beyonce. (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=heather+morris+beyonce&hl=en&sa=X&biw=801&bih=414&tbs=isz:m&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsuo&tbnid=ytit8-ZlBZWF2M:&imgrefurl=http://freshlikedougie.com/music/heather-morris-of-glee-to-cover-beyonces-run-the-world-girls-tuesday/&docid=mJ796gQuwoui0M&w=500&h=324&ei=fKmMTpy6G6Pg0QHYqITPBA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=356&page=5&tbnh=150&tbnw=208&start=25&ndsp=3&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:25&tx=85&ty=54) I love to see that girl dance! She's amazing!:encore:

The Kurt and Blaine moment was really sweet too...and the thing with Emma's parents? So funny! Faking an ovarian cyst burst! LOL! Beiste was hilarious ("I kicked a fire hydrant b/c they canceled 'Ace of Cakes'"...) Too funny! :lol:Quinn's rapid about-face when it came to hating Glee club and then loving it again makes me roll my eyes, as does Santana's expulsion and subsequent reinstatement. Can anyone stick to their guns? Sheesh:rolleyes:... I do think that Quinn's story line about trying to get her baby back will be interesting though...as will the relationship b/w Puck and Rachel's mom (can't think of the name right now).

It was a good episode, but I do think Mercedes was painted as a btich in this one on purpose. But as someone who plays second fiddle all of the time, what do you expect? Rachel's better-than-thou attitude (while not unfounded) is completely annoying and I'd take Santana's approach when it comes to dealing with her: every time she opens her mouth I want to punch her in the face:revenge:. I think a lot of that has to do with the showcasing of Rachel on the show. I do think Lea Michele has an amazing voice...but there are a lot of people on that show who can sing and rarely get the chance to. Plus, her character is just not a likable person at all. You can admire her ambition, but she's a bitch. Plain and simple...I could never like a person who has that little regard for other people when it comes to getting what they want. Rachel's character is beyond selfish...right on down to running against Kurt. Uggh...

I don't think that Mercedes was better than Rachel for the part, but if (for the show) they're going with the consensus that Mercedes was better at the audition, then yeah, I could see why her character would be upset that she was better and yet she still doesn't get the spotlight--they have to share it. I do like how Mercedes pointed out how no one ever wants to hurt Rachel's feelings by being honest with her.

My interest in this season is probably at an all-time low:(. I don't know exactly why, but I'm much less excited to watch than I was last season or the season before that. Lucky for the show, there's nothing else on at 8 on Tuesdays that I want to see, otherwise I'd probably be DVRing it and watching it much, much later on. Hopefully something will happen that will snag my interest again, but as of now Glee has slipped out of my top 5 can't miss shows of the week...