PDA

View Full Version : The best ice dance team to never win an Olympic medal

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Vash01
09-17-2011, 11:57 PM
This thread was inevitable, after the other 3 disciplines.

Who do you think was the best ice dance team to never win an Olympic medal? There are some pretty strong candidates for this.

Moka-Ananas
09-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Denkova/Staviski
Khokhlova/Novitski
Delobel/Schoenfelder (they sooooo deserved it in 2006)

can't think of more right now as I only started following Ice Dance around 2004.

SamuraiK
09-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Denkova & Staviski are the best to not win but Im not sure if they deserved it In Torino. Their FD was fantastic but OD was a mess, same goes for DelSchoes while BelbiAgosto and GrusGonch were the contrary, lovely OD-craptastic FD.

Ill probably go with Drobiazko&Vanagas who were soo robbed in SLC.

The Accordion
09-18-2011, 01:00 AM
I can honestly say there are too many in this list for me to choose just one team!

But mostly D and S, D and V, R and K, B and K! It seems ridiculous that any of these teams can be in this poll!

~tapdancer~
09-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Every single team on this poll is deserving of an Olympic medal.

MikiAndoFan#1
09-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Every single team on this poll is deserving of an Olympic medal.

I agree.

zotza
09-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Rahkamo/Kokko, in the distant 1994.
But they didn't help themselves falling in the FD.Anyway,I'm sure that the judges wouldn't have put them infront of Torvill/Dean...

briancoogaert
09-18-2011, 02:37 PM
From the list : Delobel and Schoenfelder. 2006 podium was a joke !
Annenko & Sretenski were really good, but compared to the other teams from 1988, they were not better.

Proustable
09-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Most robbed of an Olympic medal? A tie between Drobiazko/Vanagas and Delobel/Schoenfelder. Man, that rankles.

Best team without an Olympic medal? Denkova/Staviski.

Team not really robbed by still a little annoying they don't have one? Bourne/Kraatz.

TwizzlerS
09-18-2011, 07:54 PM
I was torn between Blumberg/Seifert and Delobel/Schoenfelder because both teams should have medaled in the Olympics had it not been for poor judging. I voted for B/S because fewer people were watching skating then in 1984 compared to 2006 so I thought I'd try to even it out a bit.

blue_idealist
09-19-2011, 01:41 AM
I said Bourne/Kraatz. They were definitely robbed in 2002. It would have been nice if Denkova/Staviyski and Drobiazko/Vanagas had medalled too, but they don't stand out in my mind as wuzrobbed like B&K 2002. Btw, I didn't think B&K should have won the Olympics in 2002, Anissina and Peizerat were clearly the best there, but I thought they should have got at least bronze if not silver. Fusar-Poli/Margaglio on the podium there was a joke.

judgejudy27
09-19-2011, 01:46 AM
I dont think Bourne & Kraatz deserved a medal in 2002. They were tight in their CDs and OD, and skated their FD all out but fell near the end. I agree they should have beaten Fusar Poli & Margalio, however Anissina & Peizerat, Lobacheva & Averbuhk, and Drobiazko & Vanagas all should have beaten them there. D&V were the ones really robbed IMO.

I did think B&K should have gotten the bronze instead of A&P in 1998 however.

Tak
09-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Annenko & Sretenski were really good, but compared to the other teams from 1988, they were not better.

I think A/S had the most wasted potential of anyone on this list. I saw them at the 88 Olympics and I remember thinking this team could be better than either B/B or K/P, given time to develop. But then they never made the World team again. I heard politics got in the way and they retired because other coaches became more influential and their teams got sent. Something like that.

I voted for them because I think they never got the chance to show how great they could have been. Potentially they were better than anyone else on the list, IMO.

pumba
09-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Agree with Tak. Annenko/Sretenskiy were wonderful technicians, plus very good looking. It was impossible for a #3 Soviet ice dance couple to medal at 88 Calgary Olympics, with couples #1,2 on the podium.

snowbird
09-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Agree with Tak. Annenko/Sretenskiy were wonderful technicians, plus very good looking. It was impossible for a #3 Soviet ice dance couple to medal at 88 Calgary Olympics, with couples #1,2 on the podium.

I feel that A/S were superior team to Wilson/McCall But A/S were sent in with a disjointed LP. Also Wilson/McCall had a home ice advantage.

Here's the A/S LP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMlFE-9Wedg