PDA

View Full Version : Crash at Reno Air Races

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Kasey
09-17-2011, 02:01 AM
http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/Renown_Told_to_Expect_as_Many_as_100_Injured_12999 8428.htmlhttp://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/Renown_Told_to_Expect_as_Many_as_100_Injured_12999 8428.html

I freaking hate these damn things. Every year, there is a fatal crash. This is the first year that it's taken civilian bystanders with it. Code Triage at all hospitals in the area. My prayers with those who are lost, and those who we may still lose, as I head in to work. Sigh.

Oh, and so far, 40 confirmed dead, over 100 injured. Why the hell do people go to these things?

MikiAndoFan#1
09-17-2011, 02:06 AM
How awful! :(

milanessa
09-17-2011, 02:11 AM
I hope you're able to help, Kasey.

I'm sure Kasey is getting better info than I am but MSNBC is saying 40 taken to local hospitals and no word on casualties. I'm not getting anything from that link.

Allskate
09-17-2011, 02:18 AM
So, so sad. :(

I always worry about the huge crowds at the Blue Angels shows in San Francisco and the possibility of a terrible crash. But, at least those are mostly modern planes with top notch pilots, not 80-year old pilots flying very old planes.

I was going to go up to Reno today. Glad I didn't. :(

ETA: MSNBC just showed the press conference. They aren't confirming deaths other than the pilot's, but will have another press conference at 7. Governor Sandoval is expected to be there and he may be able to release official info.

numbers123
09-17-2011, 02:24 AM
If Kasey said it is Code Triage at all hospitals, then it is very bad. Another wise it would be Code Triage at the trauma hospitals only.

milanessa
09-17-2011, 02:27 AM
If Kasey said it is Code Triage at all hospitals, then it is very bad.

I'm sure it is.

Kasey
09-17-2011, 02:35 AM
We're downgraded to "standby" at the moment. My sister at the trauma center said they've admitted 40 so far, with more in the ER. And it seems the initially reported figures were on the high side, in terms of fatalities, thank god. Still awaiting what happens at our hospital for the next few hours before I'm allowed to go to work at my other job tonight.

milanessa
09-17-2011, 02:38 AM
Good thoughts sent your way. :(

Pierre
09-17-2011, 02:47 AM
Just a warning... While the video of this crash on most major news sites is pretty tame, there is some VERY graphic video of this out there, including video of people still alive (at the time) with limbs blown off and such. A friend sent me a link to a vid and didn't give me proper warning. Not a very pleasant thing to see.

Allskate
09-17-2011, 02:56 AM
MSNBC saying that Renown hospital has confirmed two dead, nine more in critical condition at their hospital. The hospital in Sparks has people in serious or good condition.

Pierre
09-17-2011, 03:19 AM
Why the hell do people go to these things?

I love airshows. You know how watching skating in person is different from watching it on video? Same applies here. There is just something about seeing those babies live that is beautiful.

Now, I haven't been to one in a few years, but the ones I used to attend almost always had the 'exciting" action and tricks far enough away from the audience (and generally going in a direction ) that something like this was unlikely to happen (and pilots usually try to put extra distance between themselves and the audience when they know they are going to crash). At one (and only one) a jet crashed, but it was nowhere near close enough that the audience was in danger. All the others were accident free.

And the rule for flyovers at the shows I went to was that they could only be done "normally". In other words, normal speed, sufficient height, no tricks, etc. A buddy of mine who introduced me to the fun of airshows used to complain that they no longer allowed anything interesting to happen near the audience. I, on the other hand, was glad to hear that they didn't. :lol:

Edit: Of course, I realize there is a risk even with many precautions taken, but it certainly can and should be minimized.

milanessa
09-17-2011, 03:25 AM
This wasn't (isn't) an air show per se - it's an air race for vintage planes.

Pierre
09-17-2011, 03:29 AM
This wasn't (isn't) an air show per se - it's an air race for vintage planes.

Ah, OK.

BTW, the pilot was 80? Hmm.

Buzz
09-17-2011, 03:30 AM
Another plane crash so soon! My condolences to the victims and their families. Horrible way to die.

BigB08822
09-17-2011, 03:33 AM
Horrifying. I hope the reports are wrong and it isn't 40 dead. I watched the video on youtube but was afraid because I didn't want to come across the one Pierre saw.