PDA

View Full Version : Crash at Reno Air Races

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Lacey
09-17-2011, 03:34 AM
Ya, I agree about the 80 year old pilot, I wonder if there was something wrong with him (heart attack) and if they could ever test for that.

Pierre
09-17-2011, 03:39 AM
Horrifying. I hope the reports are wrong and it isn't 40 dead. I watched the video on youtube but was afraid because I didn't want to come across the one Pierre saw.

The one I saw wasn't on Youtube, but it probably will make its way there. (Not sure what Youtube's policy is on graphic content that is real, so not sure how long it would stay up.)

milanessa
09-17-2011, 03:49 AM
I missed the first part of the press conference but they've corrected the pilot's age to 74.

Pierre
09-17-2011, 03:59 AM
Ya, I agree about the 80 year old pilot, I wonder if there was something wrong with him (heart attack) and if they could ever test for that.

They most likely will be able to tell whether it was a malfunction, pilot error, etc. It's quite possible that something happened that would have had the same result with even a 20-year-old pilot, but the age naturally makes one wonder.

Pierre
09-17-2011, 04:00 AM
I missed the first part of the press conference but they've corrected the pilot's age to 74.

Thanks for the update.

mysticchic
09-17-2011, 04:47 AM
We were playing softball all day out next to Selfridge when the stuntman fell to his death. Right before it happened there we 2 aircraft almost on top of each other. I'm pretty sure this was one of the 3 attemps the guy had made to attemp to switch onto the other plane. Right after that there was nothing for an hour. Prayers to all.

paskatefan
09-17-2011, 09:41 AM
How awful! :eek: :( My thoughts and prayers to all.

rfisher
09-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Kasey, I thought of you as soon as I saw the headline. Hope it wasn't a bad night for you.

skatemommy
09-17-2011, 04:15 PM
3 dead, 56 injured, P51 Mustang appears to have lost part of a tail piece. 74 year old pilot veteran stunt pilot. Could have been much worse...pilot pulled up and away from the stands before crashing. I don't much like these air races, needless loss of life.

milanessa
09-17-2011, 04:23 PM
I don't much like these air races, needless loss of life.

It's certainly tragic but not much in life is risk free.

skatemommy
09-17-2011, 04:28 PM
^ RACING a vintage WW II aircraft has more risk than crossing the street. I like air SHOWS.

milanessa
09-17-2011, 04:35 PM
^ RACING a vintage WW II aircraft has more risk than crossing the street.

Most activities do although plenty of people are killed crossing the street.

I like air SHOWS.

Lots of people have been killed at air shows - probably more than at air races although I don't know have figures at hand.

AxelAnnie
09-17-2011, 05:35 PM

Nope. They are saying there was a problem with the tail thingie on the plane. The pilot MayDayed, and was pulling up out of the race, and then they went down. Poor man.

Kasey
09-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Two more died overnight. And the news is showing photos of the plane beginning to disintegrate in the tail prior to the crash (thus causing it).

quebecoise
09-17-2011, 06:11 PM
There was one this summer in my city. The firebirds were so close to our houses(because the airport is at 5-10 minutes from here). Some friends didn't understand why I disagree with this kind of things, this is exactly the reason! A crash can happen anytime! I was afraid they crashed on a house or street and killing people!:eek: