PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Marge_Simpson
09-21-2011, 07:10 AM
It was on my list too, and I did succeed in getting there in May. But we didn't venture too far past the magnificant entrance & foyer, since it was a rare spell of sunnyness and we didn't want to spend too much time inside.

I had a dream a couple of days after that about the stone lions coming to life. Very cool.

You might have missed seeing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKB7zfopiUA

Allen
09-21-2011, 04:42 PM
It is. But she's gonna wanna read it after finishing the second one. And that's not good. :P

I'm sure you'll appreciate this tidbit. A student in the master's program read The Hunger Games and was so taken by it, that she decided to write her thesis on it. She secured a committee and everything and then read the other two books. After reading Mockingjay, she dropped her committee chair and is now writing about Margaret Atwood's post-apocalyptic works.

PrincessLeppard
09-21-2011, 06:44 PM
That? is awesome. :D

Artemis@BC
09-21-2011, 07:05 PM
You might have missed seeing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKB7zfopiUA

:lol:

I think some of the folks in the library were too young to get the reference. But the funniest parts were the people who were all "New York. Whatever" and just ignoring it all.

rfisher
09-21-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm sure you'll appreciate this tidbit. A student in the master's program read The Hunger Games and was so taken by it, that she decided to write her thesis on it. She secured a committee and everything and then read the other two books. After reading Mockingjay, she dropped her committee chair and is now writing about Margaret Atwood's post-apocalyptic works.

Too bad. She could have had fun deconstructing Mockingjay and describing what happens when an author has no real concept of their plotting and characterization and just writes a book for :bribe:

Allen
09-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Too bad. She could have had fun deconstructing Mockingjay and describing what happens when an author has no real concept of their plotting and characterization and just writes a book for :bribe:

Apparently she was so distraught about Prim's death that she didn't want anything to do with the project.

MikiAndoFan#1
09-22-2011, 12:04 AM
I went to the library today and checked out King's Different Seasons. Hope I enjoy it as much as Salem's Lot.

Artemis@BC
09-22-2011, 12:23 AM
I went to the library today and checked out King's Different Seasons. Hope I enjoy it as much as Salem's Lot.

Just to prepare yourself, Different Seasons isn't a novel, it's 4 novellas. Of which I thought 1 was superb ("The Body," which was the basis for the movie Stand By Me), 2 pretty good, and 1 meh. But it has been a long time since I read them ...

But IMO, Salem's Lot is not King's best (tho not his worst either). So if you liked it, you're bound to like others. Unless you're looking for more vampires. ;)

Allen
09-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Just to prepare yourself, Different Seasons isn't a novel, it's 4 novellas. Of which I thought 1 was superb ("The Body," which was the basis for the movie Stand By Me), 2 prettey decent, and 1 meh. But it has been a long time ...

I agree. "The Body" is terrific. In fact, it may be my favorite thing King has written. The other stories are okay, but "The Body" is where it's at.

Artemis@BC
09-22-2011, 12:25 AM
^ Dang it, you quoted me before I had a chance to fix my typos!

Allen
09-22-2011, 12:27 AM
^ Dang it, you quoted me before I had a chance to fix my typos!

Sorry :) I hate when that happens too.

RockTheTassel
09-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Apparently she was so distraught about Prim's death that she didn't want anything to do with the project.

I accidentally scrolled over the spoiler tag. :duh: I knew I should have finished this series last year so I wouldn't accidentally be spoiled.

Prediction: The Hunger Games occurs again and Prim ends up having to compete.

Off to find out if I'm right. :D

MikiAndoFan#1
09-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Just to prepare yourself, Different Seasons isn't a novel, it's 4 novellas. Of which I thought 1 was superb ("The Body," which was the basis for the movie Stand By Me), 2 pretty good, and 1 meh. But it has been a long time since I read them ...

But IMO, Salem's Lot is not King's best (tho not his worst either). So if you liked it, you're bound to like others. Unless you're looking for more vampires. ;)

Yes, I know Different Seasons is not a novel. :) I mentioned Salem's Lot because it's the only King book I've read. :lol: What's your favourite book of his, by the way? :)

Kasey
09-22-2011, 03:41 AM
Yes, I know Different Seasons is not a novel. :) I mentioned Salem's Lot because it's the only King book I've read. :lol: What's your favourite book of his, by the way? :)

I like his older stuff....Christine and Cujo were quite good, and I read all 1200 or so pages of The Stand in one night...

PrincessLeppard
09-22-2011, 03:44 AM

The Stand is one of my favorite novels of all time. I've read the original and the expanded, and I read them both very quickly.

I also like Eyes of the Dragon, Cell (zombies :cheer2: ), Under the Dome (though the whole book falls apart in the last ten pages because, imo, King couldn't figure out how to end it) and Dolores Claiborne.