PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67]

dinakt
02-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Reading Robert Massey's bio of Peter The Great. Absorbing, even though I am pretty familiar with the history and know what will happen next.

You are fast! I have not even started "Catherine the Great". Did you enjoy it?
There are two more biographies this year that got great reviews. One is of Caravaggio, another- of Van Gogh. I guess I have to read faster.

oleada
02-07-2012, 12:06 AM
You are fast! I have not even started "Catherine the Great". Did you enjoy it?
There are two more biographies this year that got great reviews. One is of Caravaggio, another- of Van Gogh. I guess I have to read faster.

I really want to read that Van Gogh book.

dinakt
02-07-2012, 12:10 AM
I finished No One is Here Except All Of Us. I did not mean to finish so quickly but it's very hard to put down. It's such an interesting take on a Holocaust novel. It's the story of a Romanian Jewish village who decides to reinvent the World after hearing of Hitler's exploits. They avoid some of the war - but not all of the violence and the aftermath. It's beautifully written. If you liked The Night Circus, I think you will like this as well. It's in the same magic realism vein. It definitely requires suspending disbelief. Ausubel has an amazing way with words. The entire book has a dreamlike quality that just sucks you in. I highly recommend it.

Now I'm reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

Did you like "Night Circus"? I promised to write a review here, but keep postponing it, and quickly forgetting.
And there lies the problem. I enjoyed reading it- especially the first half, and - being almost pathologically not avisual person- even I enjoyed the descriptions in the book. The imagery is poetic, there is a colorful imagination behind it. But when it came to the plot, it seemed to wither towards the second half, and ultimately I did not find the conclusion memorable at all.
The book has some similarities to " Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell" by Susanna Clarke. But while I absolutely adored " Jonathan Strange..." and keep checking if Susanna Clarke has a new book out, I found "Night Circus" forgettable. Except those black- and- white -and- red images:D

oleada
02-07-2012, 12:16 AM
I loved the Night Circus. But "No One Here..." has more plot.

dinakt
02-07-2012, 12:30 AM
I loved the Night Circus. But "No One Here..." has more plot.

Thanks for replying! Have you read " Jonathan Strange"? It is a much slower, longer book, filled with British mythology and historical frivolities ( it is an early 19- century- England setting)- an yet I think it is absolutely brilliant.

skatesindreams
02-07-2012, 12:43 AM
I really want to read that Van Gogh book.

So do I!

Here is the "companion website" for it:
http://vangoghbiography.com/mission

emason
02-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Would you recommend Saylor? I am desperately looking for an absorbing escapist well- written novel.

Saylor writes in the historical mystery genre, which I love. I highly recommend him.

Fergus
02-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Would you recommend Saylor? I am desperately looking for an absorbing escapist well- written novel.

Saylor writes in the historical mystery genre, which I love. I highly recommend him.

I haven't yet read any of Saylor's mysteries, but his Roma and Empire read very much like something between James Michener's and Edward Rutherfurd's grand historical chronicles. However, they're not too grand; each segment feels like a nice, tight short story. Highly recommend. :)

So do I!

Here is the "companion website" for it:
http://vangoghbiography.com/mission

J'adore Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith's artist bios! Their Pollock bio was one of the greatest I have ever read and the Van Gogh is turning out to be just as good. :biggrinbo

And I totally dig that they're a gay couple into historic preservation, too. :respec: I read a great article about the renovation of their historic home, but I'll be damned if I can't find it online now..........argh!

IceAlisa
02-07-2012, 01:25 AM
You are fast! I have not even started "Catherine the Great". Did you enjoy it? Very much. I was sad when the book ended.

Van Gogh, eh? Dunno, I may have to wait to be in the mood for that. :yikes:

Prancer
02-07-2012, 02:03 AM
:sekret: Amazon is said to be planning to try a test run with brick and mortar bookstores, starting with a single store in Seattle with plans to spread nationwide if profits look good.

Hang in there, Luddites. You may get to keep your bookstores yet.

We're due for a new thread. Someone needs to think up a title.

Fergus
02-07-2012, 03:10 AM
^ How about something along the lines of "Bibliomaniacs Unite!" or some such silliness. :)