PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67

rfisher
02-03-2012, 08:32 PM
:lynch:

The cover is pink.

IceAlisa
02-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Ok, namedropper ... you know he read it, but do you actually know he enjoyed it? Huh, do you? Ptttpt!

:rofl:

Ah, but it's full of intrigue, honest to skategod palace plots, power struggle, :lynch:, :puppet:, :encore:, :revenge:, :glamor:, :sekret: and :blocjudge just like, you know, figure skating. How could he not?

rfisher
02-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I can say without reservation, the new Nook will never replace a real book. Ever. I'll use it to download those books BAM does not sell, otherwise, :blah:

galaxygirl
02-03-2012, 10:25 PM
I can say without reservation, the new Nook will never replace a real book. Ever. I'll use it to download those books BAM does not sell, otherwise, :blah:

Maybe not completely but it'll make reading War and Peace a hell of a lot easier.

Nan
02-03-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm adjusting to my Nook better than I thought I would, but I'm not 100% sold.....yet.

rfisher
02-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Maybe not completely but it'll make reading War and Peace a hell of a lot easier.

Never in a million years will I be reading War and Peace. :lol: I'll just watch Woody Allen's Love and Death.

PrincessLeppard
02-03-2012, 11:03 PM

I have a reader on my iPad, and I've read three books on it. When I read, I like to flip back and verify things. If anyone can tell me an easy way to do that on an ereader, I might be converted. Might.

If find reading on it pretty irritating, actually....

Artemis@BC
02-03-2012, 11:26 PM
I have a reader on my iPad, and I've read three books on it. When I read, I like to flip back and verify things. If anyone can tell me an easy way to do that on an ereader, I might be converted. Might.

IKWYM. I don't do a lot of flipping, but I do some. And the book I'm reading right now (Elizabeth George's Believing the Lie) has map that I refer to periodically. And each time I do, I think to myself "I'm so glad I have a paper version of this book!"

But the time I noticed it the most was one of my recent book club reads. When we had our meeting it was very frustrating to not be able to find certain passages that I wanted to refer to.

I believe I read that one of the new updated e-readers (the new Kindle?) had a capacity for making notes etc. Did I imagine that?

modern_muslimah
02-04-2012, 01:08 AM
The major e-readers (Nook, Sony, Kindle) have the capacity to make notes and have had that capacity on at least a couple generations of models. I prefer to use my e-reader to read novels and books where I'm not doing a lot of highlighting and note taking. On books where I need to take notes in the margin, highlight and quickly refer to a certain passage, I find pbooks to still be preferable.

Prancer
02-04-2012, 01:16 AM

I don't flip back very often, but if I am studying something on the Nook, I do use bookmarks and notes. I don't know if that would help much with reading casually and wanting to flip back though. I usually have a pretty good sense of where I was in a book when I read something, so if I do flip back, I drag the page bar back to where I thought I was, and I'm usually no more than a couple of pages off.

I dunno. I haven't come across that one too often.

You can do word searches--tap a word and look for other instances of it in a book. That would be of limited use, but I'd think it would help sometimes.

galaxygirl
02-04-2012, 01:18 AM

Oh, I definitely agree with you about that. Reading maps and looking at pictures is difficult too. But I'm thinking about reading W&P and the thought of having to hold it up for the 10-15 years it's going to take me to finish it is making my hands and wrists hurt. :yikes: I'm going to bookmark the page(s) with the character list and make good use of the search function so hopefully that'll help make up for not being able to flip back and forth.

rfisher
02-04-2012, 02:11 AM

So far, so do I. It's stuck and won't unstick. I'm taking it back to the store tomorrow.

John 3 17
02-04-2012, 06:03 AM
I picked up Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters today for $3! I know people here said it wasn't as good as the zombie Pride & Pejudice but I haven't read that either. Anyway, looking forward to it :)

-Bridget

modern_muslimah
02-04-2012, 03:35 PM
I picked up Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters today for $3! I know people here said it wasn't as good as the zombie Pride & Pejudice but I haven't read that either. Anyway, looking forward to it :)

-Bridget

My husband brought that for me about a couple of years. I haven't read it though. I want to read the original before I read the zombie version. So maybe I should put that on my TBR list for this year. :shuffle:

oleada
02-05-2012, 01:00 AM
I finished reading The Chimps of Fauna Sanctuary (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CE4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FChimps-Fauna-Sanctuary-Resilience-Recovery%2Fdp%2F0547327803&ei=RtEtT7H_CPC40AGt1PX4Cg&usg=AFQjCNEqo6O-aVttisyEi-xcxjX9QKcFHQ) by Andrew Westoll. It was a decent read. There were some really heart wrenching moments, but I felt like there was so much story there that could have been written better. Today, I was perusing at Barnes & Noble and ended up reading You Have Seven Messages (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9705058-you-have-seven-messages) in one sitting. I don't know why, because it wasn't good. It started off decent, but then really trailed off. It's about a girl who finds her dead mother's cellphone and starts suspecting that there's more to her death than she knows. Except, not really. If you are expecting mystery or suspense, there is none. If you want likable characters, there aren't any either. Oh, but there is a really crappy love story. Meh. The best part was the really cool WS Mervin quote before the book started.

I did pick up No One Is Here Except All of Us (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12040405-no-one-is-here-except-all-of-us) by Ramona Ausubel. I'd heard about it before it came out and it seemed good. The first chapters didn't disappoint. It's :swoon: so far.