PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67

rfisher
02-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Literary Dreck! :cheer2:

emason
02-03-2012, 12:38 AM
I would never inflict this novel on my students.

"Wading" is correct. "Muddling" works as well.

I like the theme of the book, but Hawthorne's writing style drives me insane. And I had to read the book in high school, college and grad school. :scream:

Loyal Opposition weighing in here. I have read The Scarlet Letter only once, when I was in my 30s, and I was amazed by it. I thought it was brilliant and I was kicking myself that I hadn't read it sooner. There was no 'wading' or 'slogging' for me; I just couldn't put it down.

IceAlisa
02-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Russian kids are very fond of Dumas. Most grow out of that stage by the age of 8 or so.

oleada
02-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Never read Dumas, but it sounds fun. I liked Jules Verne as a kid.

help, fast. I am leaving in an hour, my Nook can't download books in israel, and I don't think I have enough to get me through. I've already done Goon Squad, Marriage Plot and Freedom in the last six weeks, plus Boomerang and Bonk. (there's a combination.) What good literary fiction am I missing that will keep me occupied on long plane rides?

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

That's all I've got. I have literary ADHD at the moment. I've given up on Harbor because it's too deep for me in the middle of the school year. I'm moving back to YA dreck, with a short stop in the land of chimps ;)

I've just started The Chimpanzees of Fauna Sanctuary. (http://www.amazon.com/Chimps-Fauna-Sanctuary-Resilience-Recovery/dp/0547327803)

IceAlisa
02-03-2012, 01:10 AM
PRLady, if it's not too late: Frank Carroll and I enjoyed Robert Massey's new Catherine II bio. :P I just finished reading it last week and was pleasantly surprised to see Mr. Carroll carrying around a copy at Nationals.

Prancer
02-03-2012, 01:16 AM
PRLady, if it's not too late: Frank Carroll and I enjoyed Robert Massey's new Catherine II bio. :P I just finished reading it last week and was pleasantly surprised to see Mr. Carroll carrying around a copy at Nationals.

Every time I have seen Frank Carroll when he isn't at the boards or watching his skaters practice, he is carrying around a book. I always want to ask him what he's reading.

IceAlisa
02-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Every time I have seen Frank Carroll when he isn't at the boards or watching his skaters practice, he is carrying around a book. I always want to ask him what he's reading.

I just sneaked a peek. I was just a few seats away from him in one of the practices. I was beside myself that we were reading the same book. :shuffle: But I didn't ask him about it as he had his hands full with Mirai, just wished him luck.

ChelleC
02-03-2012, 03:51 AM
I am also determined to "up" my classics quotient this year...am currently wading through The Scarlett Letter a

If you've made it through the first chapter, you've made it MUCH further than I ever did. :lol:

aliceanne
02-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Ah. Well, when I was taking lit classes, Dumas was considered pulpy pop fiction of the past--rather like Fenimore Cooper. No one considered either one literature and right off the top of my head, I can't think of any English teachers I know now who do, either.

Sometimes I have people try to impress me with their literary taste and Dumas is always one that comes up. It makes me smile. Not that there is anything at all wrong with Dumas--he's very entertaining. But that isn't a name I would trot out to impress.

I'm not trying to impress anyone. The purpose of writing is to communicate. If no one reads what you write except when they are forced to in school, I don't consider that good writing. A lot of pretentious nonsense passes for "great literature". Sorry to all you literature grad students.:kickass:

If you don't like "The Count of Monte Cristo", you don't like it. But it has stood the test of time, which is the definition of a classic, and yes my English teacher did approve of it.

Artemis@BC
02-03-2012, 05:18 PM

Ok, namedropper ... you know he read it, but do you actually know he enjoyed it? Huh, do you? Ptttpt!

Fergus
02-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Methinks I'd like to get back into McCullough's Masters of Rome series again........

Prancer
02-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm not trying to impress anyone. The purpose of writing is to communicate. If no one reads what you write except when they are forced to in school, I don't consider that good writing. A lot of pretentious nonsense passes for "great literature". Sorry to all you literature grad students.:kickass:

If you don't like "The Count of Monte Cristo", you don't like it. But it has stood the test of time, which is the definition of a classic, and yes my English teacher did approve of it.

I wasn't saying that you were trying to impress anyone; I was saying that a lot of people seem to think that Dumas wrote literature and that reading his work is some sort of accomplishment; he didn't and it isn't.

Your English teacher may have approved of it and that's fine; what you said, however, was that "your" English teacher (meaning someone else's) would approve of it, and I don't believe that is the case. You are the first person I have heard of reading Dumas in high school in a long time; most of the people I know who read Dumas in school are older than I am :shuffle:.

And of course a lot of pretentious nonsense is considered literature. If one wants to read literature, that's what you read. If one wants to read old books, that's another thing. I don't particularly care what people read, and I think everyone should read for enjoyment. I'm just saying that if pair mom wants to read classic lit, Dumas isn't it. If she wants to read oldies but goodies, Dumas is a good choice. It depends on what she wants to read.

rfisher
02-03-2012, 07:57 PM
:shuffle: It wasn't my fault. I blame my fall from grace on Borders and stupid Books-A-Million which I hate. It was necessity and I won't like it.

PrincessLeppard
02-03-2012, 07:59 PM
:lynch:

Prancer
02-03-2012, 08:03 PM
:shuffle: It wasn't my fault. I blame my fall from grace on Borders and stupid Books-A-Million which I hate. It was necessity and I won't like it.

Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies.