PDA

View Full Version : An FSU Without a Book Thread is Like an FS Event Without Snark

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

flyingsit
01-23-2012, 02:12 PM
I read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close over the weekend and I'm still not sure what I think of it. I did finish it, so that's a plus, but I found the structure of it a bit offputting. As if the author came up with that plan first and then wrote the book to fit in. OTOH, I can't imagine why they made it into a movie, there's no way it would work out well.

zaphyre14
01-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Enjoy, I've liked this series so far. :kickass:

I almost DNF'd The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon (latest Lord John book), but somehow pushed through. Eh, the best thing about it was that all the excerpts Gabaldon has posted of the next Outlander book so far are all included here.

I just reread "The Scottish Prisoner" this weekend and liked it. But then, I'm a Jacobite Rebellion buff so all the plots and counter-plots is right up my alley. The only part that really jarred was Jamie's vison of the Wild Hunt on the peat bog, but otherwise I liked knowing what the boys were getting up to during those "lost years" of the Outlander series.

I have Jeffrey Deaver' Lincoln Rimes mysteries going on audio in the car and an old Elizabeth George paperback waiting at home.

mkats
01-23-2012, 11:38 PM
I bought a brand-new copy of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan at our library book sale for just $3 :cheer: I read it a few years back and really enjoyed it, so I'm planning on gifting it to someone else.

Nomad
01-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Got the Robert Massie bio of Catherine the Great as a late Xmas present. I think I might read that next.

Spinner
01-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Now that Hugo has scored 11 Oscar noms, I hope you all will read The Invention of Hugo Cabret. It's such a wonderful tale & epitomizes the word "enchanting."

jeffisjeff
01-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Now that Hugo has scored 11 Oscar noms, I hope you all will read The Invention of Hugo Cabret. It's such a wonderful tale & epitomizes the word "enchanting."

My son's 3rd grade class is reading it (or, well, it is being read to them). Does that count? We saw the movie this weekend - the only Oscar nominate movie I've seen besides Kung Fu Panda II :rofl:.

I just finished Before I Go to Sleep. I found the first 75% of it to be quite compelling, but the finish left a lot to be desired.

RockTheTassel
01-24-2012, 08:21 PM
I finished Before I Go to Sleep as well recently, and I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't mind the ending since I like books that finish on more of an open note and don't always tie everything together.

aliceanne
01-24-2012, 09:44 PM
I bought a brand-new copy of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan at our library book sale for just $3 :cheer: I read it a few years back and really enjoyed it, so I'm planning on gifting it to someone else.

I recommend "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan", but I wouldn't recommend "Peony in Love" (also by Lisa See) especially for IceAlisa.

Peony not only starves herself to death for love, but she haunts the guy and his wife in their new house for years. Talk about melodrama! My co-worker and I were WTF?:scream:

Wyliefan
01-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Happy 150th birthday (http://gothamist.com/2012/01/24/happy_150th_birthday_edith_wharton.php) to one of my favorite writers!

Prancer
01-24-2012, 10:04 PM
I finished Before I Go to Sleep as well recently, and I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't mind the ending since I like books that finish on more of an open note and don't always tie everything together.

:confused:

One of the things I really disliked about that book was that it tied everything up in a nice, pink bow.

rfisher
01-24-2012, 10:13 PM

One of the things I really disliked about that book was that it tied everything up in a nice, pink bow.

And you could figure out the plot a third of the way in. :lol:

I'm listening to an audio book by an author named Cherry Adair (I kid you not). Apparently she has a whole series of quasi-paranormal romances kind of like JR Ward's stuff (I won't bother with another so I don't know). I'm on the 4th disc of 7. We get one maybe two paragraphs devoted to plot then page after page after page of *she's so hot, I really want to feck her*, *he's so hot I want to crawl all over him*, then a couple of plot points, repeat. Oddly, it's half-way into the book before they actually do the deed. :lol: No humor, no plot and the writing sucks. I'm all for some good smut, but even that's not good. So much for the picking random audio books off the shelf at the library method.

IceAlisa
01-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Sat near Frank Carroll at senior ladies practice this morning and saw that he is reading Massie's bio of Catherine The Great, same book I am currently reading.

genevieve
01-24-2012, 10:40 PM
This thread is split on the third book of the Hunger Games. I think it's godawful, with the characters undergoing unrealistic personality changes, stupid plot "twists," and the lamest ending ever.

The lesser evolved in this thread think it's good. But what do they know? ;)

:rofl: Indeed.

My copy was somewhat worse for wear when I gave it to the library due to being thrown across the room a couple of times. It also took less than a day to read since I skipped 50% of it because my annoyance quota was met within the first chapter.
Tsk. Y'all..... it's not THAT bad :lol:

I finished reading my 3rd Tana French book (her 2nd) this weekend. Have moved on to Haruki Murakami's 1Q84, but it's kind of a jarring jump after 3 murder mysteries by the same author, so I did a quick re-read of Mishna Wolff's I'm Down (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5822347-i-m-down)on Sunday as a palate cleanser. It's light, breezy, and funny as hell.

Her 2nd book, The Likeness, is my favorite of the series, if you are willing to suspend disbelief, a big IF.
PML, the whole premise is pretty far fetched, but the place where my willingness to believe was stretched the thinnest was after Daniel made her, and she convinced him to LET HER STAY IN THE HOUSE and they played this weird little cat and mouse game for another hundred or so pages.:rolleyes: Compared to that, Katniss narrating Mockingjay from a coma is nothing! :P

I'm still looking forward to the 4th book coming out this summer though, because I love her writing. And I looooved Faithful Place (book #3)

ETA: all this talk about Murder Comes to Pemberley - I was so excited that people had read this awesome little locked door mystery I picked up some years ago - and then I realized I was thinking of this book (http://http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/472193.Darkness_at_Pemberley) instead. :shuffle: I recommend it!

RockTheTassel
01-25-2012, 03:18 AM

It's not a suspenseful cliffhanger, but it's not all neat and tied up. There was the question of whether Christine would retain her memory after the accident.

Prancer
01-25-2012, 03:35 AM
It's not a suspenseful cliffhanger, but it's not all neat and tied up. There was the question of whether Christine would retain her memory after the accident.

It wouldn't matter much, now would it? Her husband was back, her son was back, both of them still loved her and were willing to let everything else go and cherish her come what may. Memory or no, Christine was clearly going to live as happily ever after as possible.

To each his own, of course, but for me, it was a very disappointing book.